1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT: Steelers James Harrison Won’t Go To The White House

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 16, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2009, 1:58 p.m.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers[IMG] visit the White House next week, they’ll do it without one of the men primarily responsible for their sixth Super Bowl title: Linebacker James Harrison.

“This is how I feel — if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don’t win the Super Bowl,” Harrison said. “As far as I’m concerned, [Obama] would’ve invited Arizona if they had won.”

Um.

Um.

Um.

James, are you OK? Have you suffered any recent blunt trauma to the brain box?

It’s a ritual in this country that the major-league teams winning championships are invited to the White House for a visit.

So, yeah, the invitation applies only to the Super Bowl champs. It’s one of the things that make the accomplishment special.

And, no, the President doesn’t have the time or the desire to invite the 31 teams that didn’t win the Super Bowl to conduct seven-on-sevens in the Rose Garden. (After all, that might cut into the time he has allotted to work on his NCAA brackets.)

But, hey, at least we now have a better understanding of how the Steelers got Harrison to sign a long-term deal worth only $51 million.
  2. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :confused:

Too many blows to the head??
  3. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    somebody forgot to tell him that Bush is no longer president and a black man is now.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,010 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    heh, what a maroon... : )
  5. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I guess he only wants to meet with true Steeler fans. He does come off as pretty silly IMO.
  6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,106 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I wouldn't go either if I were in that position. No need to honor Obama. I know there are plenty of people who talk about respecting the office not the man, blah, blah, blah, but the office is only as good as the man occupying it. I wouldn't waste my time meeting that man (you can't meet an office!). I might make the trip to D.C. though. A vacation is a vacation.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,417 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    I think that's really stupid.

Off topic fact. Did you know that the first Super Bowl Champion to be invited to the White House was the Dallas Cowboys 1992 Super Bowl XXVII Championship team. Invited by Bill Clinton. It has since become a tradition.
  8. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know what you mean CP, I felt the same way about Bush. Could not stand that guy, I have no respect for him no matter what office he occupied.

I would have a lot more respect for Harrison if his reason was political differences rather than who the guy roots for. I think that's kind of silly.
  9. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That recent? I thought it started a lot longer ago than that.
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,010 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    didn't marcus allen go or was that just a phone call?
  11. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know for a fact that the Skins visited during Reagan's tenure. He even threw a pass to Ricky Sanders.
  12. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That's the most depressing news I've heard all day.
  13. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This reminds me of Mark Chumura refusing to go because of moral reasons when Clinton was in office.
  14. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I also remember him getting arrested (but acquitted) and then admitting "his behavior at a post-prom party "wasn't something a married man should do." In 2000.
  15. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,611 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I don't think that's correct, perhaps that was the beinning of the succession but i know the '87 Redskins met President Reagan in the Rose Garden and gave him a jersey and there are photographs of the 1989 Niners in suits and ties with President George HW Bush Sr.

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/photographs/large/c45191-9.jpg
  16. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,417 Messages
    1,459 Likes Received
    My apologies folks. I can't read. It was the first COWBOYS team to be honored as Champions. Not the first team ever.
  17. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Drop and give me 50.
  18. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/16/james-harrison-to-skip-white-house-visit/
    ------------------------------------
    James Harrison to Skip White House Visit

Posted May 16, 2009 1:20PM By Matt Snyder (RSS feed)
    Filed Under: Steelers, AFC North, Super Bowl

[IMG]

Throughout the course of recent memory, the President of the United States has hosted major championship teams' visits to the White House. It's become a sort of American tradition. You win the championship in baseball, football, basketball or hockey, you meet with the President.

Apparently James Harrison, the NFL's reigning Defensive Player of the Year and a key cog in the Steelers' Super Bowl victory over the Arizona Cardinals, doesn't understand the concept. He's going to skip the White House visit. That's his right and there's nothing at all wrong with not going. His rationale, however, is a bit self-important (and by "a bit," I mean "ridiculously").
    "This is how I feel -- if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won," said Harrison.
    Um, dude ... that's not just how you feel. That's an absolute fact, and it's common knowledge. The White House visits are for teams who win the championship. If you don't want to go, just don't go. You don't have to pontificate about your selfish and irrational reason. What is the President -- who has a few more things to be worried about -- supposed to do? Just arbitrarily invite teams to visit the White House every once in a while? It wouldn't be special anymore, nor would it serve any purpose. I guess that's the way Harrison thinks it should be, though.

For the record, this isn't in any way related to politics. Harrison skipped a meeting with then-President Bush in 2006 after the Steelers won the Super Bowl. Sounds like he just thinks he's so important, world leaders should routinely clear their schedules for him -- even if his team misses the playoffs.
    ----------------------------

Was he high or drunk when he said this?

How does he not know about the concept of the championship team going to the White House?

If he said he had something scheduled already or that he hated Obama/Biden then maybe, but to say what he said makes him look like a dummy.

This reminded me of the McNabb thing where he didn't know the NFLhad ties.

What's in the water in Pennsylvania?

:lmao:
  19. The Ominous

The Ominous Dead Man Stalkin

1,145 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Definitely McNabb-esque. And that same thought popped in my head before you made the comment...:laugh2:
  20. Modus

Modus Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It just goes to show how snobby and unprofessional a player can be. Your team may have wanted it more but the Steelers definitely didn't deserve to win that game and he knows it.

Oh, well. It would be ultimate justice for Harrison to have his career ended in the wake of his comment.