1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFT:Tyron Smith is a physical freak, and other Combine weigh-in notes

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 24, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Tyron Smith is a physical freak, and other Combine weigh-in notes
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...sical-freak-and-other-combine-weigh-in-notes/
    Posted by Evan Silva on February 24, 2011, 5:49 PM EST
    Offensive linemen and tight ends weighed in at the Scouting Combine Thursday, and Southern Cal offensive tackle Tyron Smith “dominated” the Underwear Olympics with a freakish build.

A projected top-20 pick, Smith’s arms are 36 3/8 inches, giving him one of the longest reaches among players measured at the Combine over the last decade. Smith has catcher mitts for hands at 11 inches, and he packs 307 pounds onto a 6-foot-5 frame.
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm having Anthony Davis flash backs
  3. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    well this going to change alot of draft boards
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Either he or Quinn at 9.
  5. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Smith works out like he is projected to do, he will not get past Detroit. So, good luck trading down and still getting Smith. In fact, teams may call you to take Smith at 9 if all goes as planned. I would draft Smith at 9 and go to the second round with the best offensive linemen in the draft.

Dallas
    Washington
    Minnesota
    Detroit

All these teams will most likely have him on a short list, imo. Minnesota is a dark horse, and Washington was sniffing around the OTs at the Senior Bowl. The Vikings are not happy with McKinney.

At 6'5 on the dot and at 307 and with that incredible length and huge hands and great athletic ability, he's the definition of the modern franchise LT in the NFL. He's built lower to the ground than taller OTs and has a wide base to anchor. His height will allow him to use his power in his legs and wide base better.

Will there even be a senior in the top 10?

Von Miller may be the only senior drafted in the top 10 when it's all said and done.

Tyron Smith has the film to back his "hype" up.
  6. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

939 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Agreed. Just go get him if he's still there at 9.
  7. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    me too SDogo, guess im alittle gun shy on Smith, with history of USC offensive OT's. I know some have played good, but some havent either. Just makes me alittle jumpy. I am hoping now after reading that Quinn, Fairley, Newton could all go number one or the other big DE Bowers that this pushed Patrick Peterson down to us.

So, he can be our next Ronnie Lott or Darren Woodson at safety. :cool:
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,506 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    stop being amazed about his looks, I don't care how he looks in his underwear. I look at the way the players play. He was a just above average player at USC. He might have the best upside and potential but we need a RT right now. Colombo can not play anymore. Smith is not ready to play day one at RT and he is not a LT, he couldn't even play LT at USC.
  9. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,590 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    That is the way I feel about Peterson after reading SoDogs comments about what some scouts feel about Peterson in thread I think in early Feb. I think both would be good picks at 9 if Smith keeps on adding weight.
  10. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,792 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Agreed. Too many players who look like Tarzan but plays like Jane. Not to say that Smith isn't going to be a good player. I just am not going to draft based on his looks in shorts.

Remember your 1st rounder needs to START for the next 10 years especially when you are drafting in the top 10. Boys can't afford to miss.
  11. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like your thinking my friend.... Either Quinn, Miller or Smith.
  12. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Everyone knows that when in doubt, you go with a OL from the Big 10 vs a OL from anywhere else...
    and I'm a Big 12 homer
  13. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,290 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    He's not being judged on looks alone, but scouts are interested in how he looks after putting on 15 to 20 pounds. Is he muscular or is he the Pillsbury dough boy?

Now everyone has their answer.
  14. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,077 Messages
    542 Likes Received
    I keep having Bruce Campbell flashbacks. Smith is a better player, but looking the part is only half the battle. Ask Mandarich, Mamula, etc.
  15. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Robert Gallery..............
  16. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,353 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Smith is 10x the player Campbell was, the only thing they have in common is their body fat percentage. These comparisons are ridiculous.
  17. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,077 Messages
    542 Likes Received
    Perhaps you missed the part where I stated Smith is a better player.

I would just be careful about jumping on a bandwagon just because his wingspan is huge or his hands are catcher mitts. He's talented and has great potential, but he's also young and hardly a finished product.
  18. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And if we want Smith we have to pick before Detriot does thier at 13 they have no one at LT or RT

and tell me they would not jump on him

you can even make a case for Minn to take him at 12 - Mckinnie is 31

so you might as well pick the boy at 9
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,314 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    [youtube]4e1T3kVwP5M[/youtube]
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received