1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: PFW.com Spins - Testaverde not in Dallas to wear headset

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Rocco, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Rocco

Rocco Cozy in Colo

339 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys bring in Testaverde, but veteran not in Dallas only to tutor Carter

Making public what was one of the league’s worst-kept secrets, the Cowboys and 40-year-old QB Vinny Testaverde on Thursday agreed to a one-year, $1.1 million contract. Testaverde, released June 1 by the Jets, was reportedly interested in joining former head coach Bill Parcells in 2003, when it seemed apparent Testaverde would only back up Chad Pennington with the Jets. But Pennington injured his left hand in the preseason, and Testaverde eventually started the Jets’ first seven games. According to Testaverde and multiple hints delivered by Jerry Jones at Thursday’s press conference, Testaverde may well start for the Cowboys in 2004.

PFW: What makes this a good move for the Cowboys?

Reynolds: If nothing else, Testaverde is a better insurance policy than Dallas had on its roster. He can start, if necessary, and despite the athletic limitations that come with clearing 40 years of age, the veteran is far superior in game and clock management than incumbent starter Quincy Carter, making him the ideal field general for Bill Parcells.

Testaverde is not a vertical passer at this stage of his career. He can go up top off play-action fakes, but he’s a statue in the pocket who will see a lot of pressure from opposing defenses. Almost every team Testaverde faces should play a variation of the cover-1 (press coverage on outside receivers with one safety covering the deep third) and challenge him to thread the needle and beat them with arm strength. Why pressure Testaverde? Unlike Carter, he can’t buy time with his feet, and the Dallas offensive line and running backs are unproven (unless speculation that the Cowboys have interest in James Stewart proves to be true). By playing one-deep coverage, a defense is still afforded an extra defender (the second safety) to stop the run.

The move all but brings to an end Chad Hutchinson’s tenure with the Cowboys. Hutchinson signed in 2002, before Parcells’ arrival, and never stood on even ground with the other quarterbacks in Parcells’ eyes.

article
  2. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    interesting - Big power backup RB
  3. Brokejumper

Brokejumper New Member

138 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No offense to Vinnie (and I think he is a decent pickup) but if all he offers is improved game and clock management, there is no way he beats out Quincy.
  4. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I guess anything is possible. But I will be very disappointed if the Cowboys best qb is a 41 yr old statue.

I am cool with Carter if he improves the way I think he will, with a better team around him. But if going into his 4th NFL season, he can't beat out Vinnie Testaverde, I guess he never will be anything more than a backup.