1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

PFW's exclusive draft value chart

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Apr 6, 2012.

1. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,033 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Nope. This first round is loaded. You don't trade out of rounds that are loaded with talent. That's not good business.
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I'm not sure about this first round in top end talent:

2 top QBs and then maybe a third but not reasonable prospect for us on the board to trade down with

1 good CB, the other guy rising the board was a second rounder at the start of draft season

No elite pass rushers

Only 1 high end LT prospect

No elite WR prospects (I don't think Blackmon is elite)

This first round is lacking in impact players at impact positions. I see lots of good players but not many great players.

I'd rather take my chances by deferring until next year where we might get a better choice of players to fit our needs. Our best chances this year are at Safety (Barron) and OG (DeCastro) or a couple of DL that can't rush the passer (Cox or Brockers). I'm sorry but that is slim pickings and you can usually get similar players in the second rounds of most drafts.

Our only real hope of getting the impact defender I want is if Coples falls and we pull the trigger on him.

Last year we really lucked out with Tyron dropping to us so I hope the same thing happens to us this year with Coples. Otherwise I'll take the trade down route.
  3. 808CowboyFan

808CowboyFan Member

124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    trade back
    1. Konz
    2. Jenkins
    3. Irvin
    3. Broyles
  4. theogt

44,033 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    You and I are way apart on this year's draft class. Coples is actually one of the few guys I don't want and don't think is an elite prospect.
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Coples is boom or bust - I'll admit to that. If we can harness his ability we have a top 5 player. If we can't reignite his spark then we get nothing. I think we will be able to convert him so that is why I like the pick. He'll do well surrounded by guys like Ware, Ratliff, Lee and Connor.

As for this draft, I don't like the top end but I do like the depth at CB, OG and OLB which is where we have needs. That is why I want to trade down and fill up the holes in the roster.

I also want a shot at a QB next year.
  6. theogt

44,033 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    I can't recall the last time we've seen a draft this deep in first round talent. 2008 would probably be the last year, I think.
  7. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just based on that board, I'd go 1-Barron, 2-vinnie curry, 3-Philip Blake, 4-Joe Adams, 4-Chase minnifield, 5-Akiem Hicks, 6-vontaze burfict, 7-beau Reliford

Also, just a few days ago I was thinking it would be great if CZ did a draft board. We could average everyone's together and post it before the draft. It would give us a little bit more of a uniformed opinion of where a player should be picked.
  8. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    This is a really interesting list. To me there are a couple of guys that are clearly underranked given the board's opinion of them McClellan and Crick. I'd like to see people's opinion with those guys plus Coples available and how different it would be with those guys graded 1 round higher.

I'm also surprised by Devon Still in the middle of 2. That changes the way I'd think about the draft.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Yes, the talent is deep - I don't disagree that the bottom of the first round looks good. However, that deepness also extends into the second and third rounds.

For example, I don't prefer Upshaw and Hightower over Irvin, Curry and McClellin.

I don't prefer Kirkpatrick over Heyward and Trumaine Johnson.

I don't prefer Glenn over Silatolu and Brooks.

I don't prefer Brockers and Poe over Reyes and Crick.

I do like Barron over Harrison Smith and Iloka but not enough that I want to draft him at #14.

This is why I think a trade down makes good sense for us in this draft. We can get extra picks by dropping down without losing much in the way of quality.

I also like having drafts with two first rounders - it gives you a ton of flexibility. The mistake we've made in the past with this strategy is we haven't moved around much to create future value for ourselves. I also think with the abuse Romo has taken we have to seriously consider preparing for a future without him. I will be surprised if he is still healthy in 2015.
  10. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    With Coples, McClellan and Crick available

1) Coples
    2) Janoris Jenkins
    3) Shea McClellan
    4) Joe Adams
    4c)Jared Crick
    5)Kelcie McCray
    6) Quinton Saulsberry
    7)Emmannuel Acho

Without Coples, McClellan and Crick available in the PFW round

1) Brockers or Barron
    2) Brandon Brooks (Note: I'd try to trade down from here to the top of 3rd/bottom 2)
    3) Bruce Irvin
    4) Markelle Martin
    5) Chase Minnefield
    6) Juron Criner
    7) Cliff Harris
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    The cool part about the draft is that many teams could be giving feedback about a player that makes it seem like he should go later.

I don't think McClellan lasts until the 3rd round at all.

Mayock was saying a team could be perfectly fine taking him at the end of round 1.
  12. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Boy, you can just see JJ working the phones to trade back in the second and get an extra pick. I think the goal would be to draft Bruce Irvin at the end of Rd. 2 and pick up a late 3rd in the process.

Edit: And it that scenario, I would be fine wit Barron, Irvin, Broyles, and Blake in the top 3 rounds.
  13. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

789 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    I hunted down their 2011's chart...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/06/pfws-exclusive-draft-value-chart-4

They had a few big misses but it's pretty accurate. I was expecting to be able to tear it down.

When they miss in round 1 or 2, it's usually just by the next tier (1B vs 1C). By round 3, it is more like 2 tiers (3C vs 4B). In the first two rounds, here were the only misses greater than 1 tier...

MOVED UP - 10
    Christian Ponder went 1B vs 2A
    James Carpenter went 1C vs 2B

Colin Kaepernick went 2A vs 3A
    Brooks Reed went 2A vs 3A
    Bruce Carter went 2A vs 2C
    Ben Ijalana went 2B vs 3C
    Stefen Wisniewski went 2B vs 4C
    Orlando Franklin went 2B vs 3B
    Marcus Gilchrist went 2B vs 3C
    Jonas Mouton went 2C vs unlisted

MOVED DOWN - 9
    Aaron Williams went 2A vs 1B
    Da'Quan Bowers went 2B vs 1C
    Stephen Paea went 2B vs 1C
    Randall Cobb went 2C vs 2A

Allen Bailey went 3C vs 2C
    Johnny Patrick went 3C vs 2C
    Christian Ballard went 4A vs 2A
    Clint Boling went 4A vs 2C
    Dion Lewis went 5B vs 2C

A few guys dropped big and I didn't count them -- late drug concern (justin houston), or there was a medical issue (marcus cannon and virgil green). Pretty dang accurate. By Day 3, it becomes very hit or miss.

Assuming their sources are similar in 2012, it seems plausible that McClellin can jump up to 2C...maybe 2B...but jumping to 1C would be a shocker. Small sample size, but PFW was very accurate for round 1 in 2011.
  14. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I'm sure they will publish another one much closer to the draft. I expect that one to be as accurate as last years.
  15. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

There is a reason I have been saying in previous posts to keep an eye on this kid running the draft room over there. If everything goes as planned he is on the fast track to a NFL FO, seriously could be looking at the NFL's version of Theo Epstein
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Isn't he just compiling the feelings around the league?
  17. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    He does, he is well connected but the scouting reports for the most part are all his own work and if you look at their rankings and grading scales those are done as the process unfolds. Really there are only a few slight changes from what I have seen between this board they released and what they have been giving out up to this release.

They did some obvious adjustments on a few players from what I can tell but for the most part if this board is what they say it is and a compiling on information then they have done a hell of a job keeping pace.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,878 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    very cool tool as we look at guys.

anytime you have a consensus value some players will go higher and others will fall. just the way the dominoes fall come draft day.