1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Phil Simms: "Eli is not Elite"

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Nov 14, 2012.

1. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,503 Messages
    6,249 Likes Received
    I never thought he was. But he's very good when he needs to be.

Either way, doesn't matter. He can't hear us disagree with everybody over the sounds of his rings clinking together.
  3. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

968 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I think Eli is at his best when he is managing the game. The elite qbs are the ones who put up their numbers no matter who they are playing against and stay consistent with their play.

Eli would look sharp all game in one game and then in the next game he would struggle for 59 minutes and then win it in the final minute. The defense don't get enough credit for his success.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,106 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    I agree. I think he is a very good QB but I just can't put him in the elite class like his brother or Brady and Brees. They have a consistency in their play that Eli has yet to show.
  5. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Exactly, when have you seen Brady, Brees, or Peyton stuggle for 3 straight games? LOL
  6. Doomsday101

77,106 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    You don't, year in and year out you can expect to see them at the top of the QB ratings it is not by accident and while the QB rating system is not perfect it clearly shows the top QB in the NFL sitting atop of it year in and year out.

Eli is a very good QB and most teams would love to have him but elite? Not in my book
  7. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Phil Simms was similar to Eli so he should know LOL
  8. Doomsday101

77,106 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    True. Phil was a good QB and you could win a championship with him. Having an outstanding defense did not hurt but in terms of elite Phil was never elite.
  9. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,293 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    Never thought Eli was ever elite. He won 2 Super Bowls and good for him. But he's had about 2 good years since he came into the league. Maybe 3. That is far from elite. He gets streaky when it counts and finishes the job and I'd take that right now here any day. But elite, no.
  10. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    Eli is Elite...cut the bull****

His Receivers don't help him. Cruz is finally showing his true colors. He's a wimp.
  11. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,675 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    I don't know what games you've been watching but his receivers have pretty much helped him his entire career especially in playoff games: Cruz, Nicks, Manningham, Tyree, Hixon, Burress, Toomer, Ballard, Boss. Please tell me when to stop and please tell me which of these receivers didn't bail Manning out with a huge catch or huge run after the catch at some point in Eli's career.
  12. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,893 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    I've never even seen Romo struggle for three straight, let alone those guys. And Eli has done this several times in his career.

Nevertheless, I have hard time dissing Eli too much with him holding those titles. I've always said that he very inconsistant--far, FAR less consistant than Romo. They both have been JAGs (or worse) at times this year though.
    But Eli gets on a hot streak, he can ride it for several games running--as we've seen more than once. The issue is that he almost as many bad streaks as he does good ones, with possible exception of last season.
  14. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    Most Qb's won't chuck those balls up.

Eli is trusting his WR's to make a play.

That is why it would be dangerous to give Eli, A Moss, Dez, Megatron ect type of WR.

Look what he has done with Bennett....Throw it up enough times, he will come down with it.

I understand we are cowboy fans. But to say he is not Elite is just dumb.

I'm also saying his WR's so far in the last few games have not been helping him out. Ever since Cruz took a big shot from us...(Even the announcers have pointed this out) he has ducked for cover.

So yeah His Recievers help him out, as he gives them chances...but so far his WR's can't really do ****. You can partially thank Dallas, for drawing up the blueprint on how to defend the Giants WR's
  15. Doomsday101

77,106 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    True. Eli is a very good QB however elite you expect the consistency year in and year out. Eli just has not done that. He has gotten on hot streaks and last year really played great ball all year long but for the most part Eli has not shown the consistency you expect out of the elite.
  16. Doomsday101

77,106 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    Being a Cowboys fan has nothing to do with it. Calling Eli elite is just dumb elite do not put up the cruddy season he has had. You take 2 years he played very good ball and equate that to elite? Give me a break. Brees, Payton Manning, Tom Brady year in and year out put up outstanding numbers that is elite not 2 years out of their career. SB are team achivement and NY defense had as much to do with that success.

If 2 out of 9 years is elite then the bar for what Elite is has been drastically lowered.
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,893 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    That's always been by issue with calling him elite.
    I'm not trying to diss the guy and always want to give the man credit for those Super Bowl runs--even if in both cases the defesne peaked at the end of the year and was dominant, he did play very good football.
    But he has had some remarkable strings of really bad ball as well.
    I said earlier this year when Romo was off to his worst statistical start ever, that before the year was over the averages would work out to where he would probaly catch or surpass Eli in QB rating. He's just more consistant, normally, than Eli is.

But still, I give Eli a ton of credit and feel he deserves it.
    I do think not having a healthy Hakim Nicks has hurt Manning some this year. he can be dominant.
  18. Doomsday101

77,106 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    Fully agree with you. By no means am I saying Eli is a bad QB or that Eli got lucky. Eli is a very good QB and I'm sure many teams would love to have him.

I can't say with a straight face that his skills are the same as his brother, Brees, Rodgers or Brady he has not shown that type of high level play consistently as they have.

I also do not look at team achievement as the gold standard for what qualifies as elite. Like any other position elite is an athlete who performs to a very high level year in and year out.
  19. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Eli=Romo=Flacco=Cutler=Rivers=Schaub

Good, experienced, proven quarterbacks, but not elite.
  20. Doomsday101

77,106 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received
    I would agree. Rivers really dropped off, I think many saw him as an elite QB.