1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Phil Simms: "Eli is not Elite"

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,247 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    He's never been elite. He's the luckiest you know what I've ever seen, he's good enough, and he is a winner often enough to not have everyone on his arse all the time. I wouldn't begin to think of trading Romo for him and that's my ultimate test.

Rodgers, Brees, Peyton are the only QBs as good or better than Romo. IMO.
  2. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,233 Likes Received
    I'd add Brady, and soon to be Andrew Luck.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,247 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    Man, I sat there and said I'm leaving someone off. Thanks. Yes, he belongs. I think you'll be right about Luck but it's premature. But I'd be surprised if he didn't make the list in a few.
  4. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    869 Likes Received
    Yeah Manningham makes the tip toe catch in the Super Bowl and Tyree catching the ball over his head didn't help Eli at all. Do you even watch these games? Without those plays, those Super Bowls aren't won.

Elite QBs don't sneak their teams into the playoffs on the last day of the season. He is not consistent at all. He will get on a hot streak at the very end and ride it out. And then return the next season nowhere close to that.

His brother, elite. Brady, elite. Him, not even close. Quit kidding yourself.
  5. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,183 Messages
    108 Likes Received

So is that how the Bengals defended the Giants? I didn;t see the game
  6. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    To add to that, two balls thrown so poorly in the 2011 NFC Championship that the only people close enough to catch it were the San Francisco DB's who knocked each other off the ball. Either of those are caught and the Giants don't go to the SuperBowl.

2007, Eli hits Asante in the hands with an interception, no WR in sight. Asante catches it instead, game over. If any of the three holds are called on the random toss up on fourth down, NE goes 19-0.
  7. physeter

physeter Active Member

262 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Exactly, this is what I was thinking too
  8. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,403 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I wonder where Simms puts Romo on his list ?

I am not saying this to be a jerk. I think both are better than Simms ever was. Simms has two rings also, one from the sidelines however.

I have always felt that the whole Parcells "bus driver" mantra was about Simms.
  9. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Nah, it's not really Eli. It's their entire team. They go into month long funks at least once a season. The only question with them is whether they wake up in time for the playoffs or phone it in the rest of the way. I tend to think Coughlin rubs players the wrong way sometimes and some of them just quit rather than play for him.

When they're on, they're as good as anyone. When they're not, they're just another average team. IMO, they have the 2 most important elements to a championship: a QB that can win in the clutch, and multiple elite pass rushers. They clearly aren't playing consistently at the level of Atl, SF, and GB, but come playoff time, I don't think it would shock anyone if NYG sent any or all of them packing.
  10. CowboysFanSince88

4,183 Messages
    108 Likes Received

Pierre Paul was asked on ESPN radio, "what is wrong with you guys"

The idiot responded with.."I don't know"
  11. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,478 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Yeah, tight coverage with Safety help over the top.

Their WR's hate when you get physical with them.
  12. CowboysFanSince88

4,183 Messages
    108 Likes Received

That's how all WR's should be defended. Never understood the point in giving a receiver 20 yd cushions
  13. Frozen700

12,478 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Oh so because Manningham tip toe'd and did what a WR is supposed to do, Eli get's no credit :rolleyes:

I suppose he should have just stood there and took the sack, or threw it else where for a pick.

Quit kidding yourself. He's Elite, it hurts, i know. Get over it
  14. Frozen700

12,478 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    I agree, teams feared Cruz and Nicks. Therefore giving them space....to not get beat.

Cowboys basically said to hell with that, we will get up in their faces, and if they catch it, we are hitting them. Look how that worked out. They hate it.
  15. CowboysFanSince88

4,183 Messages
    108 Likes Received

An elite QB doesn't allow his team to miss the playoffs more than 2 times. So if the Giants miss the playoffs and Brady is back in the playoffs, that will confirm that Eli is a JOKE
  16. CowboysFanSince88

4,183 Messages
    108 Likes Received

And that's why Rob Ryan deserves a lot of credit
  17. Frozen700

12,478 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Agreed
  18. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,822 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Didn't he chuck an end of half hail mary against the Packers last year in the playoffs? One that magically got past seemingly the entire Packers defense and fell perfectly in his WR's arm? Or am I remembering incorrectly?
  19. CowboysFanSince88

4,183 Messages
    108 Likes Received

Yes and it was because of that pass that they were able to win. Luck is not always going to be on his side which is why I think he is not that good of a QB
  20. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

3,100 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    No problem with Phils comments. Eli is not playing like an elite QB right now.