1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Phil Simms: "Eli is not Elite"

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Nov 14, 2012.

1. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,324 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    Sorry Phil I don't agree.

I respect the opinion. He played the position and won a Superbowl so he knows a thing or two about the position of QB in the NFL.

I just don't agree.

I also don't agree that his receivers don't help him. They do, for sure, but he also helps them. It's a two way street.

It's silly to think Eli isn't elite.

The guy owns 2 rings by getting game winning drives in the biggest games of his life. It doesn't hurt either that he just so happened to out duel this guy who is unquestionably elite. You might have heard of him, his name is Tom Brady.

In the biggest game of the year Eli has made the plays to win the game twice, where the Golden Boy couldn't.

Eli is elite.

To say anything else is being completely dishonest.
  2. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Winning 2 SB's doesn't mean you can play like POOP the rest of your career. You are still paid to perform and he is not playing well.

In the last 3 games he has thrown 4 Int's and no TD passes which is pathetic.
  3. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,219 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Actually in SB1 Golden boy did make a drive. Eli just happened to follow it up with a few good plays and a lot of dumb luck.

And in SB2 his lone TD pass should have been a pick 6 but he lucked out that the LB screwed up. And Golden boy had his passes dropped.

Eli had a terrible game in the NFC Championship game but was, as is all too common, bailed out by dumb luck and incompetence.

He is a solid - good QB, but the idea that he is elite is laughable if you watch the man play instead of looking at one stat that is the least representative of an INDIVIDUAL'S play.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,863 Messages
    1,746 Likes Received
    I rarely, if ever, see people lump Eli in the same category as Brees, Brady or Peyton.
  5. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Well when they consider him elite doesn't that mean they are putting him in their category?
  6. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, it does.

...and he isn't.
  7. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,123 Messages
    326 Likes Received
    Come on, guys. I hate that mouth-breathing bumpkin as much as any Cowboy fan, but you've got to consider him elite. The other QBs mentioned besides brady have only one SB ring. But of those, I would say he is the LEAST consistent. Big Ben is more consistent than ShEli.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,868 Messages
    2,132 Likes Received
    Will Perdue has 4 NBA championship rings.
    Just sayin:D
  9. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,123 Messages
    326 Likes Received
    Good point.;)
  10. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Luck or not, the dude has a handful of glorious postseason gems. more than his brother, for sure. I don't know how you can't call him elite. Typing this just caused me tremendous pain.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,868 Messages
    2,132 Likes Received
    I think you can say he has some some elite games, if that's what you mean.:D
  12. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,720 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    I think Eli is a very good QB and probably the most 'clutch' QB in the league, for what it's worth.

But if we're still debating this after 8 years, is it really a question?

You know elite when you see it.
  13. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

If the Giants fall to 6-8 will Eli still be elite?
  14. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,540 Messages
    1,818 Likes Received
    E-Lie has never been elite, isn't elite, and will never be elite.

He is just too goofy and makes far too many bonehead plays. The bonehead plays are the reason he will never be elite. This clown makes more bonehead plays than Romo. And just because he has gotten away with a lot of them doesnt excuse them or nullify them.

Okay, so he has 2 rings. That 1st SB and that pass play to Tyree was a fluke. Sure he was able to stay up rather than fall down as he was tripping all over his own feet, but anybody that watched that knows it was nothing but a lucky play. Far better QB's who have played far better in the big game have walked away with losses.

Rings dont tell the whole story.

Mark Rypien got a ring and Dan Marino didnt.
  15. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Eli is an elite quarterback who is simply struggling right now IMO. Same thing goes for Tony Romo although he's played much better as of late. Part of the problem for Eli is the great supporting cast which was so consistent and reliable last season and the beginning of the season hasn't been there the last few weeks. Secondary is getting torched. That supposed great defensive line looks very old, his wide outs are dropping the ball, no run game, and mediocre pass protection.
  16. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

Yeah Rypien never made the playoffs again as a QB for the skins after that SB. He ended up getting cut 2 years after he won the SB
  17. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

If the Giants fall to 6-8 will Eli still be considered Elite?
  18. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,540 Messages
    1,818 Likes Received
    Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, etc.

You could make a list of bums at QB that got a ring, and then do another list of elite QB's who never got a ring. There are some really good QB's who have never got the ring. The ring may be the goal, but it certainly isnt enough to justify calling some elite.

So many love to sing the praises of Tom Brady. How many rings has he gotten since he lost his place kicker? W/o that kicker Tom Brady might have been 0 for 5 in SB's. Belicheat didnt want to pay the kicker so he went to Indy and got Peyton Manning a ring. Belicheat and Tommy boy havent seen one since. W/o a clutch kicker making long kicks those storied Pats might just be the newest version of the Bills. To get a ring things have to work out for you. And doenst mean you are elite or not elite. IMO the ring is irrelevant in the discussion. The ring just says things went your way that day.
  19. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    To me he still would be, but I don't see the Giants losing six straight games.
  20. CowboysFanSince88

4,089 Messages
    75 Likes Received

This is what separates Eli from the other 31 QB's in the league

"He is content with throwing a INT as long as he doesn't get hit"