1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Phil Simms Quote From Inside The NFL

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Encore, Dec 20, 2012.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,791 Messages
    1,593 Likes Received
    I think it's the 5 picks and zero TDs that is really mind-boggling.

I can see Eli pulling something like that...I think he's had several 3+ pick games where he had no TDs. But Brees, that is entirely different. He always has at least a few TDs to offset turnovers.

BTW, Romo has had some horrific games but has never had a game where he had even 3 picks without at least 1 or 2 TDs to help offset the mess. I bet Brees never does it again.
  2. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,680 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    He threw 5 vs the Giants in 2000. He was excoriated for it.
  3. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,986 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    Here's the quote again: "How come when Tony Romo plays really well, we don't talk about it?"

You just said the media never talks about any QB that plays really well.
  4. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,305 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Ah...had forgotten about that game (the whole 2000 season was pretty forgettable!!) That he was excoriated proves my point that they don't give a pass to just any elite QB (Cowboys need not apply)
  5. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,511 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    The part that seems left off was when Sims said something to the effect that we'll wait until Romo does what he usually does in December.

They were making jokes and several people were talking but Sims went on to mention Romo and his December swoons.

Then they got out the Imperial Margarine and crowned RG III.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,791 Messages
    1,593 Likes Received
    Surprising seeing that Romo has had no "December swoons" since 2008.
    In fact, he one of the highest rated QBs in December since then. Maybe THE highest rated.
  7. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,511 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Just finishing the sentence of Sims.
  8. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,795 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    Phil Simms is one of the few decent individuals that have put on a Vagiants uniform.
  9. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,666 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Keyshaws issue is that he lost his job in Dallas so it's hard for him to be supportive. That said he isn't as critical as a lot of media types.
  10. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,944 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    Phil Simms nailed it...
  11. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,099 Messages
    129 Likes Received

Remember that like it was yesterday.

The media raked him over the coal. They asked him if his skills were declining. Awful.
  12. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,363 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Yeah I was there. I don't believe I've seen Dallas win a game live since...whatever win against the Giants they had before that. I've been to a few at the Meadowlands and a couple in Irving/Arlington since then and they've lost every time. What a difference it was going to see them during the Emmitt game at the end of the '93 season, or the blowout '95 opener. Seems like forever ago. Instead my Cowboys game experiences have included the T.O on the star game where Aikman was booed. I was THIS close to going to the Steelers game this year but just didn't want to endure a potential loss to the Steelers so I passed. I can't seem to get it right anymore lol.

By the way Saints fan, your post about Brees being better than Romo had little to do with this thread. Don't underesitmate what Romo can do to your mighty defense. Good luck next year since your season is over and tell your classless players and coaches to try not to break any more rules. "Who dat?!" "Nobody Honey, just that team of thugs with ONE ring in their entire history..."
  13. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Member

323 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Buck stinks. Riding off his Dadds sac.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,835 Messages
    853 Likes Received
    This isn't just applicable to Romo but all things Cowboys.

These threads our chock full of negative whining people. When this team was 3-5 and coming up with a new injury or two and a new way to lose each week you expect all the players, the coach, the owner/GM to be criticized heavily. But we see it now in the midst of winning 5 out of 6 games.

It really is sickening.

That type of negativity permeates and infests.

The media is going to be hypercritical. You get the baby types of media who hate the Cowboys largely because fans have taken them to task for not being homers. They try to be objective but really can't because Cowboys fans have attacked them so they openly joy in Cowboys failure even as they cover them professionally. And these people use their media outlets to whine and complain and tear down every facet of the organization when given even the slightest chance. So otherwise intelligent people believe things like "Bad Romo" is gonna ruin us. As if 99% of all players do not have good and bad games. They truly believe we'll never win without a strong OL... even though the Super Bowl champ most years has a mediocre group of OL. We'll never win with Jerry as GM except he won just fine when Jimmy retired and has had only 2 losing seasons the past decade.

There is this crazy concept that the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls every year in the 1970's. That the Staubach era Cowboys just never lost games. That concept is because 1970's era Cowboys fan actually appreciated wins and were happy with playoff appearances that didn't end with a Lombardi. They weren't petulant spoiled children who thought every loss was an affront to their sensibilities.

It really is time for fans of this team to Cowboy up. If you do so and call other people on their negative nonsense we'll see it'll become less popular to Cowboys bash.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,091 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    wah wah wah
  16. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,103 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I thought Troy's 5 pick game was against Carolina?
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,906 Messages
    3,853 Likes Received
    Point. And counter-point.

I agree with the first guy, for the record. What's almost as annoying is that, when and if the team goes over the hump, this misperceptions are going to shift completely in the opposite direction. It can't ever just be what it is when it comes to coverage of the Dallas Cowboys.