1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Phillip Thomas

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by LatinMind, Dec 24, 2012.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,569 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Gonna play tonight. I really hope Dallas would take a look at this kid. The guy is awsome. Probably the best all around safety in college. Good thing he went to Fresno State cause if he went to a BCS school he'd be top 10 pick
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,236 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I have enjoyed watching him but still like to see how he plays at the senior bowl and against top competition.
  3. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    While Phillip Thomas is a very good player, no way is he better than Kenny Vacarro imo. I'd love to have either, especially Vacarro, but I doubt Dallas goes Safety in the first round and Vacarro will be drafted between 20-32. I do like THomas if he's available in the 3rd though.
  4. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

958 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    He looked good in coverage last night against the Mustangs, seemed to have good speed and timing. If he is there in the third and BPA.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,616 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
    My initial impression was that he looked like a CB and had a thin-ish frame; however, he is listed at 6-2, 215.

He looked very good in coverage but had a big whiff on the QB running play.
  6. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

958 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I came away impressed with that SMU QB he played well and seemed calm even when being chased.
  7. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

208 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Thomas missed open field tackles on the QB on two separate occasions, not to mention that he was initially beaten badly on a deep pass down the sideline. To his credit he showed good recovery speed that enabled him to re-establish position and deflect the pass. Later in the game he was playing underneath on an out route that went for an SMU touchdown. I like Phillip Thomas a lot too, but he didn't have the best of games yesterday.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,569 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    He didnt get beat on that throw they played zone and he had the under as a WR cut in front of him to the sideline, so he released his guy to the deep safety. Gilbert just made a perfect throw.
  9. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Agree, he was one of my pet cats, but since watching him in 2 or 3 games no more. He misses open field tackles and really is not in position to make plays downfield. He reminds me a lot of a combo of McCray and Sensy.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,616 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
    Have any of you guys watched Safety D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina)?

He's my pet cat at Safety.
  11. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I like what I've seen of him, in fact I've been mocking him in a later round. Haven't heard a lot about him.
  12. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,682 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    He got toasted by Gilbert Grape for crying out loud....no one gets toasted by Gilbert Grape, trust me, I am a Longhorns fan. I had to deal with that POS QB for far longer than I wish I had to. Thank goodness for McCoy and Ash.

I would much rather have Vacarro, Rambo, Swearinger, or Bishop.