1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Philly.com: Birds doing just fine with deep ball

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 16, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,059 Likes Received
    Jeff McLane, Inquirer Staff Writer
    Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 2:02 AM
    There's a misconception that Chip Kelly's NFL offense doesn't have much of a vertical passing element.

After six games, even some Eagles don't consider their offense one that takes many shots downfield.

But among the top 10 passing offenses in the NFL, only the Steelers (16.1) and the Packers (15.2) attempt a higher percentage of passes beyond 20 yards than the Eagles (14.5), according to numbers compiled by Pro Football Focus.

Kelly's passing scheme is dominated by short throws - screens, pop passes, quick hitches - but so are most NFL offenses. However, it was overwhelmingly the focal point of his aerial attack at Oregon.

What he has done in short time is successfully incorporate pro-style passing plays into his offense and utilize the skills of game breaker DeSean Jackson.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._fine_with_deep_ball.html#pPDD16WLcvX3IVaq.99
  2. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,999 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    Our safeties need to be on their "A" game and keep everything in front of them. I saw breakdowns in TB last week and they paid for it.
  3. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    While defending McCoy too, yikes. Luckily, their defense looks worse than ours and doesn't create as many turnovers.
    cowboys1981 likes this.
  4. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,383 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Hopefully Church plays the best game of his season. Wilcox I like, although they are treating him with kid gloves.

I'm a little more concerned about the WR screens as our corners don't fight off blockers very well.

YR
    cowboys1981 likes this.
  5. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Well-Known Member

1,213 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    I wanna see Wilcox or Church lay the wood to Jackson. That would be awesome.
  6. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,999 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    I would love that!
  7. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,827 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    I agree
  8. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
  9. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Guess it's time to go bird hunting.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I'm more concerned with McCoy both as a RB and receiver. He is such a big part of the Philly offense and when he is in open space the man is tough to deal with.
  11. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,286 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    Need to abuse receiver corps.

Then Mo and Scan need picks to demoralize them.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,998 Messages
    7,746 Likes Received
    They don't. Though, WAS threw a lot of them at us. They were effective, but we did a nice job of bending and not breaking on them, overall. As long as we're not giving up the big play, I can live with getting nibbled to death by the screen game. Hopefully, we're putting up enough points that they can't make a living off of that late into the third quarter and they have to change it up.
  13. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,911 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    Before this year started, I would've been much more confident in our ability to limit McCoy because of the Carter--Lee combo. But they are stretched thin with everything they're asked to do, and it's guys like McCoy that will give this defense fits.

Luckily, Celek isn't the type of TE we've had trouble with this year.
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,174 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    Put Scandrick on Jackson with a safety over the top all game. Let Carr and Mo go man with the others. Make sure Lee and/or Carter focus on McCoy. Foles isn't going anywhere.

Hold them to 24 or less and score 30.
  15. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,277 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    The key to this game is not Mccoy because he is just unstoppable,the key is pass defense and more specifically limiting big pass plays.