1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pick 14: Gives us 3 Choices or Trade Down

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CowboyFan74, Apr 18, 2012.

1. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,345 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    Just like the title suggests, give us your Top three choices at 14 or trade down.

Feel free to add to my list of potential prospects at 14 here.

De Castro, Kirkpatrick, Mercilus, Ingram, Cox, Poe, Kuechly, Ingram, Coples, Reiff, Wright, Gilmore, Barron, Glenn, Brockers.

Am I missing anybody?

1) De Castro (Hos I think u have me convinced)
    2) Reiff
    3) Gilmore

Trade Down

Hey where is the countdown I'm getting anxious?:D
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    For me it's

1. Cox
    2. Barron
    3. DeCastro, esp if he can play OC.

I'm not interested in Coples or Brockers or Poe at 14. Wouldn't draft Upshaw at 14 either. Just so so on Kirkpatrick at 14 as well.

EDIT: After my top 3, it becomes much more difficult. Kuechley is probably the best prospect, though we already have B Carter. And after him either Mercilus or A Branch if we want a pass rusher. Not as sure on Ingram.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,965 Messages
    558 Likes Received
    MY top 3
    DeCastro
    Coples
    Ingram
    ......Cox and Barron a close 4th and 5th.
  4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,474 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    If these guys ALL happen to be there at #14, you trade down and get more picks while still getting a starter and very good player...but, if I were to give my top 3 of this list it would begrudgingly go:

1. Coples - still have faith in him despite the bad press of late
    2. DeCastro - yikes, he looks like he will be good
    3. Reiff - no way he is there, but grab him, put him at RT and move Free inside next to Smith? Grab a Center later in the draft....yummy
  5. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    1. Barron
    2. Cox (won't be there)
    3. DeCastro (if you think either he or Bernadeau can play center)

Getting cute gets JJ in trouble. Just say no.

There is good depth at D-line in this draft, so someone should be available in the second or even third round that can come in and challenge/replace Coleman. Add in that Cox will likely be gone and the others listed have potential bust/developmental guy written on them, and I can't see addressing that position at #14.

Likewise, while DeCastro is certianly head and shoulders above the next best guy, the overall level of guards in this draft is pretty good, and I've heard several front office people saying that the dropoff from rounds 2-4 isn't that significant. So if you really want an interior O-lineman that can come in and push Costa/Bernadeau/Livings for starting time, one can be had.

But the dropoff from the best safety in the class to the second best is just as significant as the dropoff at guard, in my opinion, and the dropoff after Harrison Smith is significantly greater than the interior of the O-line. Harrison Smith is rated #50 on my board right now, although I have him sneaking into the end of the first round because of how quickly he's rising around the league and just how big the dropoff is behind him. The next highest rated safeties are Markelle Martin of Oklahoma and George Iloka from Boise State, and they are late third to early fourth round prospects.

Charley Casserly was saying something the other day that I've thought for some time, but hadn't actually heard a GM come out and say point blank. If you're looking at two prospects in round one, and you have them relatively equal, then you have to look at what will be available in the next round or two if you choose to go a certain way. If they go with DeCastro, odds are that Smith will be gone before #45, and they have to go through a year depending on Brodney Pool opposite Sensabaugh. Then we'll be having the "need for a safety" conversation again next year. If they go Barron with the pick, they can go with Kevin Zeitler, Ben Jones, Amini Silatolu, Jeff Allen, Kelechi Osemele, etc. in round 2 or 3 and have two potential starters at positions of significant need for the next 10 years.

If Barron is there, take him and then let the draft come to you in rounds 2-4 for the O-line and D-line.
  6. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I trust more than anybody:

1) Fletcher Cox
    2) Mark Barron
    3) David DeCastro

In that order if all 3 were gone and possibly even if DeCastro
    is there we might look to trade down. However if Cox or Barron
    is there at #14 one of them in that order will be the selection.

The more I think about it I have no problems with Fletcher Cox
    or Mark Barron. I realize we need OL help but honestly I think
    we can get some help in the 2nd through 4th Rounds.
  7. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,345 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    I know many suggest that Barron would replace Pool but do you think it's possible they may be considering replacing Sensabaugh and sticking Barron at SS instead? I have a sneaking suspicion that may be the case....
  8. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    1) Cox
    2) Coples
    3) Ingram

4) Brockers
    5) Barron
    6) DeCastro
    7) Nevermore
    8) Gilmore

I like McClellan, Branch and Mercilus alot as a trade down guys.

On Coples, I still have not heard what the guy did or what his interview was like. I can just say from the tape, senior bowl and measurables he is way better than 14. Is he perfect on tape? No. But it looks better than lots of guys who had huge NFL success.

I am down on the Alabama guys because some of them are great but not all of them. I like Barron much better than the rest, but I don't see the explosive plays or the ability to run and cover like an Earl Thomas. The scheme and offenses he faced never challenged him as a junior. That's not his fault but it does take some projection. Kirkpatrick would be absolutely great in a cover 2 scheme. I can definitely see him as a Bear at 19 if they don't take pass rush. He had a ton of safety help from Lester and Barron.
  9. Western

Western Active Member

117 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Excellent analysis.
  10. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Nope, I don't think so. The Cowboys' defense under both Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan have used the safeties fairly interchangeably, so there really hasn't been a "true" SS or FS in terms of their roles on the field consistently. Rather, they have been changing based on the particular package and defensive alignment. This has been even more the case with the unique packages that Ryan has been implementing. If they want Barron to play more of a true SS role, however, I think Sensabaugh moves to play more FS and Pool is still on the outside looking in.

I think they start Barron next to Sensabaugh and take Pool to camp as injury insurance, with the reality that both Church and McCray make the team as back-ups for their special teams play. When the time comes for final cuts, if everyone is healthy and you have a better use for the 53rd spot on the roster, you release Pool so his veteran contract isn't guaranteed. They'd only be out the $100K they paid him in signing bonus, and the only other reason to keep him around would be his familiarity with Ryan's defense.
  11. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    1. DeCastro
    2. Barron
    3. Cox

but I don't want to trade down so Coples and Ingram would be my other two and I can't see all of these guys being gone. If so, THEN trade down.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,388 Messages
    3,680 Likes Received
    Barron, Cox or DeCastro will be the pick at 14 and if two are there we might trade down if all 3 are there we will trade down.
  13. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    1. DeCastro
    2. Cox
    3. Barron
  14. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think it is possible that after a year they see Barron as a better guy to get involved with the run game which is not Sensenbaugh's long suit either. He is a great athlete for a strong safety but is not great at being a strong safety. I don't necessarily think they replace Sensy but they may change his position.

Demarco was Felix's replacement not Barber's
  15. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received

Exactly what I think
  16. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    This is my team ranking.
    My ranking is:
    DeCastro
    Cox
    Kuchley
  17. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've been all about wanting DeCastro at #14 and will still be thrilled if we pick him there. But here's where I'm at:

1. Cox .............. but, as others have said, I think he'll be gone and don't see any way he'll be an option at #14
    1A. DeCastro
    3. Barron

If the 'Boys trade back: I wouldn't mind trading down to the mid-20s and taking Shea McClellin. I think he's this year's JJ Watt, though not quite as polished as JJ was coming into last year's draft ... not yet. I truly think McClellin can get there.
  18. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Glad to see so many of you coming around.

For months my draft board has been DeCastro and Cox. Kuechly was #3 until we signed Connor, then it became Barron. Even back when everyone begging for Ingram and Upshaw so we wouldn't tag Spencer, I still had DeCastro and Cox.

Obviously I still feel that way.

Under the scenario presented:
    1. DeCastro
    2. Cox
    3. Barron
    4. Try to trade down.
    5. Can't? Screw it. Take Luke.
  19. CowboysnSpurs

CowboysnSpurs Member

35 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    NFL games are won in the trenches, so to answer this question

1. Coples
    2. Decastro
    3. Barron
  20. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,467 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    My order would go as follows:

Pick #14

1) Fletcher Cox

2) Barron

3) DeCastro

Trade Down: (presupposing they do not go earlier, hey the draft is a fickle beast)

1) Stephon Gilmore

2) Peter Konz

3) Whitney Mercilus