1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer DEH-80PRS: Great Sounding Car Audio Receiver

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Mar 7, 2013.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

10,164 Messages
    6,407 Likes Received

I needed to replace my head unit because my cd player took a dump.

My old unit was an Alpine with Infinity Kappa 6 x 9's in the front doors and 6.5" round in the back doors. Under the back seat is an MTX box made for my truck with 2 amplified 10" subs. Not something to compete with high dollar systems but something that gave pretty good sound quality for the kind of music I listen to - classic rock & country. The sound was decent enough that I didnt need to use the amp I had purchased initially.

Last week I had to replace my head unit. I'm not up on all the latest stuff but a few sound guys & friends I spoke with said Alpine isnt what it used to be. Kenwood and Pioneer seems to be what they like. I stopped in at Best Buy to check some units out. The Alpine stuff just looked cheap. I've had good luck with Kenwood stuff in the past so I got a Kenwood unit.

The guy at Best Buy said all the installers really rave about the Pioneer stuff for home theater and car audio. I didnt like the look of the Pioneer units. Too much light stuff going on. Too much clear plastic with all the light. They looked to me like a unit some kid in his lowered Honda Civic with neon lights on the under carriage would love to have. Just not me. Im a less is more kinda guy for this stuff. Plain, neat, and a clean look is preferred.

I installed the Kenwood and the sound just wasnt up to par. The sound in the highs wasnt clean and crisp. It almost had a muffled sound compared to what I had before. No adjustments helped enough.

So I went to a local stereo place for stereo geeks. The guy got in my truck and listened and I told him what it didnt do and what I was looking for. He said, the Pioneer is the way to go. He said I had 2 choices. The 8500, pictured here:

Or, he said the DEH-80PRS was really the ****. The 8500 had that cheap look to me. I paid the extra $130 to get the more advanced unit and it was worth every penny. Im in no way a stereo geek and the 80PRS is way more advanced than I need. The sound is great. My wife listened to it for 30 seconds and said it sounds 10 times better than my old unit.

If you want a really clean crisp sounding unit in your car this is a great way to go. No amp is needed. It pushes my subs far more than I need. This just sounds great!

Some reviews:

BTW, the stereo geek where I bought this unit told me that it is based off of and uses the same technology as some other Pioneer unit that was $1,400 in the last year or two. I have no idea if that is true or not, but this sounds really good.[/QUOTE]
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

13,729 Messages
    6,677 Likes Received
    I didn't make this but ..