1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Players to target at #14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RamziD, Jan 3, 2012.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,697 Messages
    3,196 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Not in the first couple of rounds anyway.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    yeah hard to chew that. I would love a Seymour type at DE but they are very rare. easier to get a OLB that can rush the passer. We need someone that can give us Ellis type numbers; 8-10 a year
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    frankly this reach stuff is all too often BS. If the guy will do what you need him to do then where he is picked is meaningless. We need a guy who can rush the passer seriously on a steady basis. FA, Draft, trade whatever.
  4. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,911 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received

I think the reasoning for this is that most, including me, assume we can beef up the OL and secondary in FA. To me, that's the more surefire way to know what you're getting.

Sadly, for OLBs, there aren't any better FA OLBs on the market than Spencer. Both Melvin Ingram and Courtney Upshaw wouldn't be bad. Ingram is an instinctive play maker, and Upshaw is Alabama's best pass rusher. Either would be fine with me, and then take the best available CB in the second.

If it were up to me I'd take a run at Michael Griffin and Ben Grubbs/Carl Nicks in FA, get an OLB to replace Spencer and the money he really doesn't deserve, and take the 350 lb NT Dontari Poe, allowing Ratliff to move over to DE and also help with the pass rush. Jenkins and Scandrick on the outside with good safety help are a much improved secondary over what we have, might as well give the QB even less time to throw the ball.

Of course, I wouldn't mind the reverse approach. Depends on who is available when it's our turn up. I just think the best 2 CBs will be gone by the time we're up.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys do not go G with the 1st pick I think OG Kevin Zeitler would be a nice addition in the 3rd if he last that long.
  6. MichaelWinicki

32,697 Messages
    3,196 Likes Received
    I don't see this team being that far off...

3 question marks on offense G C G
    5 question marks on defense DE, OLB, ILB, CB, S

Now you could say that 8 is a lot, but at least a couple of these are going to be solved by resigning guys like Spencer, Elam or by filling in with youngsters already on the club like Carter or one of the young offensive linemen.

That will leave 5 or 6 spots left.

If the Cowboys have a good draft 3 of those spots could be filled.

The rest will need to come from free agency.

Bottom line is that I do not think it's that dire.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Since Spencer is a FA though I would expect he will want to see what is out there. I have no problem having Spencer return but I would be leery on the size of the contract given to him.
  8. MichaelWinicki

32,697 Messages
    3,196 Likes Received
    No doubt.

If the Cowboys thought he was worth big $$ he probably would have been resigned during the season. Obviously they're a little unsure of him also.
  9. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,385 Messages
    767 Likes Received

It certainly couldn't be any worse than this year.
  10. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,945 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    The corner crop this year sucks. I'd almost rather trade out then go all out next year for the Honey Badger.

Almost.
  11. This is Our Year

This is Our Year Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike

1,396 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    As badly as we need a guard and we do, I have a hard time seeing us take one so high at #14. I'd go CB or DE/ OLB with the 1st pick.
  12. MichaelWinicki

32,697 Messages
    3,196 Likes Received
    The trouble is the guys at DE/OLB aren't any better than Spencer IMO. And if that's the case, then you resign Spencer and look at another position at the 14th spot.
  13. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    This is just an opinion. We have no idea whether or not Melvin Ingram or Courtney Upshaw will be better than Spencer. Spencer isn't that good at all so basically you're saying Ingram and Upshaw are JAG's that won't be successful in the NFL. How can we tell this before they even step on an NFL field?
  14. MichaelWinicki

32,697 Messages
    3,196 Likes Received
    As much as folks love to hate on Spencer he's not quite a JAG.

While I'd like to see more than the 6 sacks a season, he does a good job vs the run.

To gain a couple sacks a season with another guy, but lose traction vs the run doesn't knock my socks off.
  15. MichaelWinicki

32,697 Messages
    3,196 Likes Received
    The other thing is that DeCastro is a better prospect than Upshaw or Ingram IMO, so if DeCastro is there...

He must be taken.
  16. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,048 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  17. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I think Spencer is a prime example of "dumb" players that we have on defense. It's not a coincidence that these players cannot grasp Wade's or Rob's defensive scheme. Dumb players do dumb players (Spencer going offsides at a crucial point or getting an unnecessary roughness penalty against Philly are examples). We need to weed out the dumb and get smarter football players IMO.
    I think this depends on what we do in free agency. If we grab Ben Grubbs or Carl Nicks in FA, I wouldn't draft an interior lineman in the first round. That's just me though.
  18. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

371 Messages
    6 Likes Received

Check out Whitney Mercilus from Illinois, 6'4 265 very long projrcted as olb in pro's . 8ff and 16 sacks nose for taking that ball away. Besides Upshaw who is a lil shorter who actually won't be there at 14. This guy is projected a lil lower teens,but i'd take a serious look, check him out and get back to me. I like him.
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Right now, I really like Kirkpatrick, DeCastro and Ingram at our pick.

DeCastro for obvious reasons, but the other two because they're football players, would bring some much needed physicality to this team.

I also like Dennard but not at 14, likewise for Upshaw
  20. MichaelWinicki

32,697 Messages
    3,196 Likes Received
    I think both of those guys have talent, but neither is a better player at their positions than what DeCastro is at his.