Players you've wanted (now or past)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by 65fastback2plus2, Mar 17, 2017.

1. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

17,246 Messages
    15,188 Likes Received
    Not to mention that Seau went top 5 and Dallas didn't pick until the 20's. They moved up to 17 for Emmitt but Seau was way, way out of their reach.

2. negativecreep

negativecreep Well-Known Member

1,163 Messages
    815 Likes Received
    I guess I was mistaken, didn't realize while writing my first post it was the same draft. First time I started fallowing it was in 1998, at 13. I was just a big Seau fan I guess. And yes I'd take Emmitt to.

haleyrules likes this.
  3. Titleist

Titleist Well-Known Member

1,355 Messages
    1,533 Likes Received
    Roger Wehrli comes to mind - if I recall we drafted pretty late but was hoping he would fall to us. Then, of course, he went on to become the original "shutdown" corner as Staubach once famously put it. What a dandy he was.

Still, Calvin Hill ended up being a pretty good one too

haleyrules likes this.
  4. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

9,624 Messages
    25,157 Likes Received
    Nice. Calvin was no bum. Thanks for the old time thoughs!! It still means something!

LocimusPrime and Titleist like this.
  5. DCowboyz

DCowboyz Well-Known Member

411 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Any UM player coming out of the draft. We never draft them and almost all of them become great.

6. logan

logan Well-Known Member

294 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    We would have had the #1 pick in 1990 but Jimmy used it to take Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft in 1989 despite already having Aikman.

Something Jerry would have been crucified for if he had done it.

7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

17,246 Messages
    15,188 Likes Received
    Yeppers.

Trading up to No. 1 before they were sure Ismail was going to play in the NFL would have gotten Jerry skewered as well.

8. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

3,308 Messages
    3,583 Likes Received
    Howard Richards

mrmojo likes this.
  9. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

3,174 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    I remember wanting Nick Mangold over Carpenter.We needed a center real bad then.

revospeed likes this.
  10. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

9,624 Messages
    25,157 Likes Received
    I like Keith Richards!!

negativecreep and LocimusPrime like this.
  11. LocimusPrime

LocimusPrime Well-Known Member

10,034 Messages
    23,418 Likes Received
    Landon Collins. He's going to be a multiple probowler real soon

haleyrules likes this.
  12. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,770 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    Randy Moss and Aaron Donald.

negativecreep and haleyrules like this.
  13. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

33,995 Messages
    11,184 Likes Received
    Had the Cowboys kept the first pick of the draft - which they blew on Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft - they likely would have taken Cortez Kennedy and not Junior Seau.

I believe I remember Jimmy Johnson saying something to that effect. He knew Kennedy from his time in Miami.
    And he liked Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith, though I doubt he would have taken a running back that high because the class that year was strong in running backs (Rodney Hampton, Steve Broussard, Emmitt Smith, Blair Thomas).

Kennedy was great in his own right even though Seau proved to be better based on the duration of his career. Had the Cowboys pick Kennedy, I don't know if Charles Haley is a Cowboy.

As for Moss, I think every Cowboys fan was anticipating that pick. And when the Cowboys picked Greg Ellis, I was like "What?" :huh:

negativecreep likes this.
  14. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

2,533 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    Julius Peppers.

LocimusPrime likes this.
  15. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

1,728 Messages
    1,249 Likes Received
    I wanted Steven Jackson so bad back in 2004...

lane and LocimusPrime like this.
  16. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

42,362 Messages
    29,719 Likes Received
    They did trade for the pick and did negotiate briefly with Ismail before he went to Canada.

Ismail wanted a bunch of money upfront and Dallas had issues with giving that up in those days.

Signability was a big deal back then and Maryland was the compromise.

17. negativecreep

negativecreep Well-Known Member

1,163 Messages
    815 Likes Received
    crazy thinking back on all that. I remember, it was either in a book about Jimmy or written by Jimmy, I read how much he loved Walsh, but I still couldn't wrap my head around why we would do that the year after drafting Troy, who I believe went number 1 as well(please correct me if I'm wrong), same draft Deion, Barry Sanders, Andre Risen and others came out of, I believe. I would have settled for Cortez Kennedy and stayed away from the supplemental draft...who wouldn't? And I watched college ball on tv and got all nerdy about the draft Moss' last year at Marshall, never saw a reciever like that, I would watch Marshall games just to see him play. I never did that before, I was confused just like all of us when we picked Ellis. Sometimes I still feel bad for the guy, he was a good DE and he will always be remembered for that draft. We didn't do him or us any good picking him.

tyke1doe likes this.
  18. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

33,995 Messages
    11,184 Likes Received
    You're correct about Aikman going No. 1 overall. The top of that draft was insane. Four of five Hall of Famers - Aikman, Tony Mandarich Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Deion Sanders.

I was with you on the Steve Walsh pick. I thought that was an incredibly stupid move. But Jimmy Johnson not only thought Walsh might be a better quarterback than Aikman but was a wheeler-dealer, and I think the Cowboys felt they could get more out of Walsh in a trade. They did (a 1st, 2nd and 3rd from New Orleans). But what they missed out on negated that trade, IMO.

They could have had Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau - both Hall of Famers. Imagine what our defense would have been like with Kennedy and Haley anchoring the line? :eek:

Although it's hard to complain in hindsight because we did win 3 out of 4 with the talent Dallas assembled under Jimmy Johnson. :)

negativecreep likes this.
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

27,908 Messages
    19,888 Likes Received
    Yes, you definitely did.

AsthmaField likes this.
  20. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

27,908 Messages
    19,888 Likes Received
    I wanted the Cowboys to draft Witten in the first round. I went crazy when Parcells didn't think he was worth a 2nd round pick.

They had an early 1st that year. I wanted them to trade their 2nd/3rd for a late first to get Witten.