1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Playoffs are still possible

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BHendri5, Nov 26, 2012.

1. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,235 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Really? go look in the mirror and start discussing.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,868 Messages
    2,132 Likes Received
    If we all had the same record, played the same schedule and we owned the tie-breaker, then this argument would apply.
    Assuming GB gets one spot:

• We are 5-6. There are 3 teams at 6-5 and one may as well be 7-4 b/c they own the tiebreaker.
    • We are very depleted with 4 or 5 of our very best players out right now...and 2-3 for the season.
    • We play a schedule with maybe one team (Philly) were we would be for sure expected to win. All the rest could go either way. Not that it means much in this league.
    • In reality, we will have to win 4-1 and have some luck, or go 5-0 to get in.
  3. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,945 Messages
    2,172 Likes Received
    This is actually a continuation of a discussion I was having in another thread so let me explain my reasoning here:

There are currently three teams with 6-5 records -- Minnesota, Seattle, and Tampa Bay. Minnesota plays at Green Bay next week. Seattle plays at Chicago. And Tampa Bay plays at Denver. There's a very good chance they will all lose because they're playing superior opponents on the road. Meanwhile, the Cowboys play a poor Eagles team at home. The Cowboys should be favored.

It's very possible all these teams, including the Cowboys, will be tied at 6-6 for the final wildcard berth. The Cowboys win the tiebreaker against the Bucs, but lose it against the Seahawks.

The Seahawks are about to lose both starting corners to suspension. The Bucs rank 30th in total defense and dead last in pass defense. The Vikings must play the Packers twice, the Bears, and the Texans over their last five games.

Are you telling me that, if all these teams were 6-6 at the end of next week, the Cowboys wouldn't have at least as good a chance at making the playoffs as any one of them?
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    You're forgetting one important factor: the Cowboys have to win.

You've watched the games. What makes you think this team can get to 9 or 10 wins?
  5. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,945 Messages
    2,172 Likes Received
    Based on what we've seen thus far, you're absolutely right. There's no reason to think the Cowboys will get to 9 or 10 wins. But this ties into my larger point, which is this: Why don't we have any reason to think the Cowboys could get to 9 or 10 wins? Are they really any less talented than the Bucs, Seahawks, and Vikings? Expectations shouldn't be this low.
  6. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    It's not really about talent with this team. I don't think the Cowboys are a top talent team, but I don't think they're at the bottom of the list either.

They're missing something, intangible wise. They always come out flat. They never execute in short yardage. Running the ball isn't even an option. The offensive line has been a disaster throughout the entire season. They've had a ridiculous amount of injuries, and the coaching, or the lack of coaching doesn't help either. Just my two cents. Jerry, Garrett, the players and the organization in general have lowered my expectations, but that's just me.
  7. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,563 Messages
    520 Likes Received
    please stop the delusion
  8. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,263 Messages
    1,159 Likes Received
    You are so morally superior to the rest of us aren't you? Anyone still thinking we are going to make the playoffs needs to have their head examined. Half of the team is hurt; we just lost to the Skins at home, while the Giants just blew out the Packers. It ain't happen folks. We aren't going to win more than one or two games the rest of the year. We will finish 7-9 or 6-10. Injuries will be the excuse to maintain the status quo and we will do it all over again next year.

BTW, OP why does Phillip Tanner need to be purged? What in the world has he done to anyone?
  9. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Not with this offensive line. Not with this head coach. Not with this owner/gm.

No way, no how, not gonna happen.
  10. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think you forgot to mention the Saints. They are also 5-6 and IMO are the most dangerous of the 5-6 lot of teams. If the Saints beat Atlanta on Thursday Night and I expect them to since they have always had their # then this race once again goes into a six team race for the final spot.
  11. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    To you, yes, Im probably superior to you in any measure. Well, except internet trash talking (cause acting like that irl is just dangerous huh)
    Thats amazing Nastradamus! Did you come up with all that all by yourself?
    Im quite sure the OP is aware of all this "insider information" you just blessed everyone with. He is just pointing out the fact that there is still a chance... because, get this, there is a chance. Its probably not going to happen and everyone knows its unlikely without you telling everyone to "get their head examined".
    Have a nice day and thank you for such a refreshing post.
  12. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,401 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I stopped reading at:

"GM can stay the same"
  13. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,962 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    And what about Washington? If they beat NY this Sunday they will also be 6-6. Some of you really surprise me here. We barely beat a 2-8 team in overtime and then we lose to a pathetic 4-6 team, and now you expect us to get enough wins to make the playoffs? And you are banking on other teams losing? That is just sad. The only give me game is against Philly...after that is it Cincy, Pitt (with big Ben) NO, and Washington. We will be lucky to get one win in our next 6 games. Heck, even the Philly game isn't a given with our team.

The Cowboys already have their excuse (injuries) to why the season fell apart. Jerry will sign Romo to a 4 or 5 year contract at the end of the season and keep JG and RR around for another year too. Best thing we can hope for is we lose most of the games left and get a top 5-7 draft pick. It's a very tough time to be a Cowboys fan!
  14. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,962 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    This needed to be posted here....

[youtube]KX5jNnDMfxA[/youtube]
  15. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

620 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    Sorry to be so negative but your can pump all the sunshine you want and still it is what it is. Nothing but pretenders on this team and unfortunately it will not change unless the GM changes. Even if we made the playoffs, what then?
    No redzone O, no 4th q defense, record penalties per game and receivers who cannot understand the offense. A predicable coach who cannot adjust his offense for players to understand and is so wrapped up in playcalling cannot correctly focus on game time decisions. Lastly, dropping like flies with injuries and terrible back up "talent". A recipe for disaster.
    Oh ya, but they do try hard. LOL:bang2:.
    We are one step behind the Eagles. Our bags are packed and ready for vacation in January.
    They may beat Phili and they may win out but the last thing this team and coach wants to see is the playoffs.
  16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,941 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    Crucify me if you want but 8-8 isn't going to make the playoffs and I'm at a point where an 8-8 playoff teams just gives Jerry more fire to keep the status quo...mediocrity. He''l spin it to mean that the whole league is just as bad and that they fought hard for it, etc. It still adds up to .500 and mediocre. That is the mentality I want gone. Strive for being top notch, not being one of the "others."
  17. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,723 Messages
    545 Likes Received
    there's that talent word again
  18. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,826 Messages
    979 Likes Received
    The playoffs are possible but not probable. The Boys have given us no indication that they capable of making a push for the playoffs so I am not encouraged.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,573 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    Delusion thy name is anyone that has watched this team this year thinking we could go 4-1 the rest of the season.
  20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,594 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 17 times, shame on me.