1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Please NO Brockers at 14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dantheman41, Apr 21, 2012.

1. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I could deal with Brockers if they trade down several spots, but at 14 NO!!! I am the biggest proponent of upgrading the D Line and getting more pass rush, but this guy shouldn't even be in the 1st round. None of his tape is impressive. I don't like seeing a guy picked this early, who the only positive thing you ever hear is he has "Potential."

Well so did Marcus Spears. If improving our pass rush is primary focus, then this is NOT the right guy. Great against run, but will do nothing when it comes to the pass rush. Might as well keep extend Kenyon Coleman's contract. Frustrating!

Please someone give me something positive out of this, or convince me the cowboys wont draft him
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    if you take Barron and Cox off the board right now I think his odds are as good as anyone. This is till very much up in the air.
  3. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,010 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Just because Spears didn't live up to his expectations here doesn't mean Brockers isn't worthy of a 1st round pick. Going to the same college doesn't mean they are the same player.
  4. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,098 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I agree...plus LSU's history of 1st round DLinemen in the NFL is underwhelming. They might be solid but not great. If we're drafting DE in the top-15, we don't need another Marcus Spears, Glen Dorsey, Tyson Jackson type of DE, we need a real stud like a Richard Seymour, JJ Watt, Haloti Ngata, etc.
  5. dantheman41

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Every scout I read on him, says will be "overdrafted" due to "potential." Will be a solid run defender in NFL, but don't expect any pass rush. I just don't see the value in that. That sounds like the description of every defensive lineman on the cowboys line right now
  6. dantheman41

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    What are chances Barron gets selected before 14? I say 50/50. Do Cowboys look at Ingram if he is available?
  7. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

........like the OP said: trade DOWN to the 20's and get him but NOT at 14: that's just a friggin' REACH:bang2:
  8. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I say 80/20 right now based on what I'm hearing, I just dont think Ingram is an option.
  9. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I don't think that evaluation is fair, he has pass rush ability but it's not developed. He has all the attributes to push the pocket and makes a living in the opponents backfield, he just needs development on his pass rushing skills. Make no bones about it, he is one of the youngest players in this draft and still RAW. His ceiling is huge but he's not going to make anyone happy if they expect him to come in and be refined his first year.
  10. dantheman41

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    So if they stay put at 14, its either Brockers or DeCastro? Assuming Barron is off the board and Cox
  11. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    That's how it's shaping up from what I'm gathering, I'm sure if Hos saw this he would probably feel about the same way. Coples might be working his way into the conversation if he's there.
  12. NeonDeion21

2,010 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Exactly. I can remember last year when Tyron Smith's name was being thrown around that he might not even start right away. Nobody knew how fast he would develop, but scouts and fans knew that he had a high ceiling. He surprisingly developed fast in his first year and contributed.

Our draft stratgey shouldn't be getting players for the sole purpose of what they can do as rookies. Everyone needs to think much bigger than that. At the peak of Brockers career, what can he be? The sky is the limit for him.
  13. dantheman41

719 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Just not buying that. Very reputable scouts I've read said some of his issues can be fixed, some most likely can't. He'll never be the athletic freak JPP is. Doesn't have that kind of ability or upside. He has the length, but not the explosion or athleticism. Just hope pick is DeCastro, at least he wouldn't be a let down
  14. NeonDeion21

2,010 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    If you were expecting to see JPP reading the scouting reports or watching his tape, you would be highly disappointed. Two totally different players.
  15. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,858 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    Brockers is pretty raw. He could have used another year at LSU and is one of the youngest players in the draft, but he's not going to contribute until Year 2 at best.
  16. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    He would be the best run defender on the team the moment he signs the contract, but I have doubts if he will ever be much more than that.
  17. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,653 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Sdogo, do you have an opinion on Coples? I know its been reported he is sliding but I wonder if thats someone's strat to keep his value down. Not singing his praises mind you but I wonder what your opinion is for #14.
  18. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,284 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    the guy is a 1 year starter and this entire board is writing this guy off..lmfao
  19. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is such a nonsensical approach. Listen, the 14th pick is only as valuable as who is left at that point. Just because you don't think the world of the guy, doesn't mean you don't pick him. You have to pick somebody. This guy has some ability and production. If they think he's the best player available at that spot, of course you take him.
  20. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Umm those guys come out once every 5 years, so that probably isn't an option.