1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Politico & AP call SCOTUS appmt for Sotomayor

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by sbark, May 26, 2009.

1. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,742 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    http://www.politico.com/

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98DTVBG0&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - Officials tell The Associated Press that President Barack Obama intends to nominate federal appeals court judge Sonia Sotomayor (SUHN'-ya soh-toh-my-YOR') as the first Hispanic to serve on the Supreme Court.
    Sotomayor, 54, would succeed retiring Justice David Souter if confirmed by the Senate. The officials spoke to AP on condition of anonymity because Obama has not yet announced his decision.

..........just another Lib, who thinks the SCOTUS is a place for legislation

Fillibuster time?
  2. canters

canters Active Member

1,792 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    From what I have read, she is to the left of Souter and in the league with Ginsburg-no surprise here. My prediction is that the GOP will talk a big game but then roll over in the end and not strongly oppose her.
  3. Jordan55

Jordan55 Active Member

1,176 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Does she pay her taxes?
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    :muttley:
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,978 Messages
    3,478 Likes Received
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama has chosen federal Judge Sonia Sotomayor as his nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court, two sources told CNN on Tuesday.

Sotomayor would be the first Hispanic U.S. Supreme Court justice if confirmed.

Obama plans to announce his nominee at 10:15 a.m. ET Tuesday, sources told CNN.

Sotomayor, a 54-year-old judge on the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, was named a U.S. District Court judge by President George H.W. Bush in 1992, and was elevated to her current seat by President Clinton.

Supporters say that appointment history, along with what they call her moderate-liberal views, would give her some bipartisan backing in the Senate.

A senior White House official said that Sotomayor was "nominated by George Bush -- then Bill Clinton -- [and has] more judicial experience than anyone sitting on the court had at the time they were nominated."

But she has suffered through recent stinging criticism in the media and blogs from both the left and right over perceived -- some defenders say invented -- concerns about her temperament and intellect.

"Judge Sotomayor is a liberal judicial activist of the first order who thinks her own personal political agenda is more important that the law as written," said Wendy Long, counsel to the conservative Judicial Confirmation Network.

"She thinks that judges should dictate policy and that one's sex, race and ethnicity ought to affect the decisions one renders from the bench. ... She has an extremely high rate of her decisions being reversed, indicating that she is far more of a liberal activist than even the current liberal activist Supreme Court."

However, the senior White House official said Sotomayor has had "99 percent of her decisions" upheld by a higher court.

Some Hispanic groups expressed concern after a skit last week on "Late Show With David Letterman" compared Sotomayor with a noisy Spanish-speaking judge on a popular TV courtroom show that settles petty legal disputes.

Obama said Saturday he wants intellectual firepower and a common touch in the next Supreme Court justice and said he doesn't "feel weighed down by having to choose ... based on demographics."

Obama's nominee will replace retiring Justice David Souter, who announced this month he would step down when the court's current session ends this summer.

There had been wide speculation that Obama would name a woman to the court, which has one female justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Obama also had been under pressure to nominate a Hispanic justice to the court.

Obama's nomination will have to be confirmed by the Senate Judiciary Committee and the full Senate.

The nominee is not expected to have difficulty being confirmed in the Democratic-controlled Senate in time for the new court session in October.

The president has said he hopes to have hearings in July, with the confirmation completed before Congress leaves for the summer.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,688 Messages
    6,434 Likes Received
  7. Doomsday101

77,978 Messages
    3,478 Likes Received
    The video with Sotomayor saying at Duke in 2005 that courts make policy does bother me. A judges duty is not to make policy
  8. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,728 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Have a link?
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    No surprise here. Female and hispanic. Liberal of course. Probably more liberal then Souter but that is too be expected. I hope the Republicans question her HARD but do not try a filibuster. I would want her to be put on record ab out judicial activism and creating laws and policy from the bench.
  10. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,688 Messages
    6,434 Likes Received
    In the judgepedia link:

[youtube]OfC99LrrM2Q[/youtube]
  11. Doomsday101

77,978 Messages
    3,478 Likes Received
    Thanks for providing the link. I do think she like any other nomination should be looked at closely after all unlike any other office holder she and other Supreme Court justice is for life
  12. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,728 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Nice find.

Seems to me that the the words "I'm not promoting it, I'm not advocating it" is proof that... she's not promoting or advocating it.

Obviously she should be rigorously screened for the position though.
  13. Doomsday101

77,978 Messages
    3,478 Likes Received
    No she just suggested that is what their job is.
  14. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_supreme_court

I hope she lives up to that little quote there.
  15. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  16. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,728 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    So it's "we'll hate her because Obama nominated her"?
  17. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I didn't say that just saying that she wouldn't be nominated if she didn't think the way he does.
  18. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,728 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    You're saying her statement is false because she was nominated by a particular person. That seems like the definition of "judge her by the person who nominated her rather than her established positions and statements." In which case you can't be satisfied by anyone Obama will nominate.
  19. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,781 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    My interpretation is she's pretty much acknowledging that it happens quite commonly and that it's no big deal. She's basically saying (paraphrasing) "Uh.... yeah... sure.... judges don't legislate from the bench.... nope... we sure don't... nudge, nudge, wink, wink."

But I think the whole "legilating from the bench" issue is way overblown anyway. Everybody says they oppose it and they would never do it - right up until the moment where a ruling is issued that they support.
  20. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,728 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I think the bolded part is pretty on-point. The rest seems like speculation to me.