1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Poll: Defensive front

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ddh33, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Simple question: which defensive front do you prefer?

3-4 or 4-3 and why?
  2. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,475 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    4-3. 4 men close to the action is better than 3. I will always believe that.
  3. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,361 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    Being a 70's guys and thru the 90's. 4-3 baby.

But I really dont care so long as its good. This sucking really sucks.
  4. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,120 Messages
    1,344 Likes Received
    4-3, I think it provides more consistent pressured, and is an easier scheme for players to play in.

It's difficult to ask a linebacker/defensive end to play in coverage, run defense, and pass rush.

A 4-3 defensive end doesn't have to worry nearly as much about coverage.

This means you can get players out of college who know pretty much what they need to do, and not learn a new position, and then at times learn another position.

How many linebackers have we drafted who have gone in and outside. This stunts growth, and it's why we don't have defensive players step up very quickly on this team.
  5. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    43 is a better scheme against the emerging trend in offenses. The mean reversion in trends toward the 34 comes from personnel rarity - when few teams run the 34, it becomes more effective because there's less competition for players. When it becomes more popular as a result, most teams are less effective running it.

Right now and for the next 5-6 years I would run a 43 if I had the right personnel.
  6. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,365 Messages
    593 Likes Received
    3-4 for two reasons.

1. If run correctly it is better suited to defend these crazy spread/pistol offenses that are invading the league.

2. Our current personnel is better suited for it.
  7. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    4-3. I think its easier to run on a 34 defense and the personel is harder to find.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,957 Messages
    9,037 Likes Received
    3-4. It's a more flexible and athletic defense.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,957 Messages
    9,037 Likes Received
    I think the opposite. It's easier to find a pass rushing OLB than it is a pass rushing DE who can also hold up in the run game.
  10. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Yeah I don't know. There is alot of projection in the draft when it comes to olbs in a 34 though, most of them play end in college. The real kicker for me is I think the 43 is better suited to stop the run.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,043 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    Don't agree here. I think it used to be that way but now that passing games are becoming more complex, you not only need a guy who can rush like Ware and tackle like Carter but you have to cover like Lee and you have to be big as well. That is a harder athlete to find. It's basically the same guy as a DE but he has to be able to cover. DE's don't have to do that.
  12. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Well-Known Member

669 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    3-4 is a superior defensive scheme. It's harder to design and coach, but with a smart coordinator and remotely smart players it's better against the run and pass.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,948 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    This.
    For this reason.
  14. RGKN33

RGKN33 New Member

78 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    honestly to me it always comes down to the coordinator and personnel .
    The 3-4 is great as an attacking defense with fast physical players and a stout nt .

But with this team and lovie hopefully coming in 4-3 makes more sense .
    I hope we can find a way to keep spencer because hes great against the run i think he would be a good le .

So 4-3 it is .
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,043 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    I don't believe there is any way, at all, we can keep both Romo and Spencer. Numbers are just too far to the red for that.
  16. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If I were starting a team from scratch, I think a variation of the nickel would be my base defense. Only problem is it would require three great safeties who could rotate up and the NFL is bereft of quality safeties.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,304 Messages
    4,207 Likes Received
    I want to play a mixed front with platooning. You could certainly use a standard 4-3 and 3-4 against some teams when its called for but you aren't likely to run one or the other for the entire game. We've been mixing it up for awhile.

I'd like to have more personnel to get more pressure and play the run better. I think you have to mix and match the right personnel and of course you're going to get the perfect play called against you a certain percentage of the time no matter what front you have called.

So there is no simple answer to your question and we have been running a mixed front for awhile now. Of course when this gets mentioned most ignore it as they have no idea what we really do.
  18. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,291 Messages
    1,723 Likes Received
    I like the 4-3.

I like having size and strength on the field, and the Cowboys haven't learned that it takes a MONSTER NT first, to employ a 3-4 and they just won't do it.
  19. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Having bigger, slower outside linebackers helps defeat the pistol/spread? Not sure I'm following.
  20. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,270 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    The 4-3 is the way to go for an indoor team like the Cowboys. You want speed on all 3 levels of the defense - DLine, LB, and secondary.