1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Poppinga vs Vickers

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CATCH17, Nov 29, 2012.

1. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,201 Messages
    1,130 Likes Received
    Not really. He is a fullback on his 3rd team in 3 years in a passing offense.
  2. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett obviously learned more from Wade Phillips than any of us thought.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,509 Messages
    2,036 Likes Received
    I get that you do need some crazy guys, and especially this team, but you can't go full contact when nobody else is. There's a time and place for everything and this wasn't it. You can't be blowing people up when your teammates aren't expecting it. It's that way even in high school.

As far as Poppinga goes, didn't we choose Guyton over him when we were looking for someone to sign? And we cut Guyton like a day later. So I don't expect much out of this guy. Probably just on special teams where that wild man attitude really works.
  4. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I wish this story read that Vickers got up and drilled Poppinga, but of course that would be considered a physical altercation which is foreign to this team. The makeup of the club is so flippin' soft and emotionless it's sickening.
  5. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Yes vickers is battling a knee injury. He almost didn't play in the browns game or the skins game. He stepped up because Te team is thin at rb. Tat s why he was out there in a bunch if third downs.

So having a guy off the street hit him when he is not expecting it in practice is more about poppinga being often reservation than who is tough or not.

And for The record, popping a was a guy in 08 when we played at gb who laughed at Marion barber, him and Barnett were joking about him being called the barbarian.

Poppinga spent most of the night on his back and barber had a good game with a bunch of physical runs.

So congrats to us, he is on our roster now.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,633 Messages
    3,537 Likes Received
    Dez is crazy too...well he was until everyone made a big fret about it. now he's mellowed into the country club rkg atmosphere.
  7. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

616 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Can't believe it took 36 posts before we got this gem.

Next thing you know we'll be talking about playoffs.
  8. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    If Vickers is injured.. he shouldn't be practicing.

If he's banged up.. contratulations.. so is everyone else in the league right now. Welcome to football.

Bottom line is, everyone is saying "oh you can't go full speed when no one else is"

..who's to say this is a portion of practice where they weren't going full contact or full speed? No one has that information, so to say guys weren't supposed to be going full ahead is incorrect. Furthermore, they were in pads, they were hitting.. i'd only assume it was supposed to be full contact.

Any way you look at it.. when a guy puts a solid, clean hit on you, especially as a fullback, and you say, "We don't practice that way", and get all upset about it.. it looks pretty bad on you.
  9. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,604 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Probably the worse thing about the team at this time in my mind, its like they are a bunch of tin men with no heart. Noone with any attitude, just a bunch of choir boys and boy scouts who know how to lose gracefully.

Problem is Jerry is really the only person they will listen to when it comes to their jobs, and all he usually does is kiss their hind parts. Its just really a sad situation.
  10. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  11. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,380 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    Batman better show something sunday, otherwise he is just another moronic mouthpiece.
  12. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,663 Messages
    483 Likes Received
    From nfl.com:

Not saying this was necessarily one with limited contact, but that appears to be the case.

Again, as much as I like seeing a guy have "one speed" when it comes to hitting, the NFL simply doesn't condone it anymore on a regular basis.
  13. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    They were in pads.. it was a full contact practice. There isn't full contact and limited contact padded practices.

There are practices in pads.. 14 during the season allowed.. and practices with no pads.
  14. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,663 Messages
    483 Likes Received
    I get what you're saying, but full pads does not mean full contact. That's strictly up to the coaches, who can dial back the amount of hitting based on what they want to get accomplished, injuries, etc.

The OP said the team wasn't practicing full speed. If they are not practicing full speed, then the contact is limited at least at that point in practice.
  15. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,365 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    Almost made me spit out my coffee! That was funny. Thanks for starting my day off with a good laugh.
  16. rags747

rags747 Active Member

988 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Yes add Dez to the crazy list on the current team. Maybe next year he will have enough respect to actually take on the roll of an Irvin.
  17. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,528 Messages
    549 Likes Received
    I like Popp even more now.

I agree with him. I never bought into that half speed BS when I was playing football either. You always played football one way.

All out.
  18. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,145 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    playoffs? are you kidding me?
  19. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,145 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I remember a guy who used to practice hard:

http://texnews.com/1998/2002/cowboys/les0727.html
  20. RoyTheHammer

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Full pads should absolutely mean full contact. For ******'s sake you only get one practice in pads a week now.. now even that after week 11. If you arn't going full speed, full contact in that practice there's something wrong with your team.

Guess we know where our lack of physicality comes from now.