1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Poppinga vs Vickers

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CATCH17, Nov 29, 2012.

1. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Way to avoid what I said and continue yelling about soft players.
  2. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I saw what you wrote.. Vickers is injured and wasn't expecting to be hit.

Both statements are silly. If he's injured he shouldn't be practicing.. if he wasn't expecting contact in a padded practice he's an imbecile.
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    You train as you fight.

The Cowboys train at half speed, they fight on Sunday's at half speed. This all equals out to a loser mentality and it shows on Sundays.

JG is not preparing this team to win.
  4. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Silly?

He was questionable a week ago and didn't practice much.

We don't know how much he is participating in practice right now.

So if he is taking it at a careful pace and gets blown up I am pretty sure he has a point.
  5. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    What I don't get is how a guy off the street on his 1st week of practice takes over the team? To me neither Vickers nor Poppinga are fully fledged Cowboys and yet here they are acting as if. Where is the leadership on this team? Shouldnt this be dealt with by the team's leaders? also me thinks this is getting a tad overblown. I doubt teams practice as hard at week 12 than they do at the beginning of training camp. to Poppinga this is his first week of TC, let's see how he practices next week when he's a little bruised.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,895 Messages
    7,645 Likes Received
    Fans love players who say outrageous things. See Bennett, Martellus. It has very little to do with leadership. I'm sure the players think very little about Poppinga coming in and mouthing off at practice. They're not going to drop everything and start playing harder. He's just a guy trying to hang on week to week for a paycheck and willing to crack some eggs to get that done. More power to him if it helps him stick around.

As to Vickers, I wasn't a fan of moving away from Fiametta, because I was really impressed with how well the blocked in space. Vickers has been marginally better with in-line blocking, but he's been a downgrade when it comes to blocking at the second level. That said, they guy's made his plays in the passing game in recent weeks, including an incredible underrated money-play on a poorly thrown ball from Tony that might have salted away that victory for us. He's been an adequate player who's now suffering in terms of fan perception for the unrealistic expectations people placed on him when he came in through the door based off of a couple of sound bites people liked the sound of.
  7. BigD

BigD Got 5? We do!

509 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Here's a good video of Poppinga and James Laurinaitis on ESPN St Louis. Laurinaitis mentions his way of practice. Pretty entertaining. Obviously this Cowboy team had no idea what this dude is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cdX5cdlGEY
  8. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    But that's not a Vickers issue that's a Garrett issue
  9. Idgit

31,895 Messages
    7,645 Likes Received
    Wow. Ok, that's pretty funny. Thanks for posting that.

Also, he sounds like a Muppet.
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Wow. Dude seems like he'd get old really fast. It's one thing to have some personality, but he comes off as just weird.
  11. Idgit

31,895 Messages
    7,645 Likes Received
    He does. He strikes me as a surfer-stoner dude. Growing up in North Phoenix, I spent a lot of time around those guys. They're actually funny and tolerable once your filter kicks in as long as they're positive people. Can you imagine going through life that way, though?
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well the video does explain alot, and its obvious why this happened now.

We could use an intensity boost, but it sounds like this is just he norm for this guy.
  13. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    THEN HE SHOULDN'T BE PRACTICING IF HE'S INJURED!

******* Theebs.. you don't get it do you?

If you're too hurt to go full speed in practice.. then get your *** on the sidelines. If you have bumps and bruises.. welcome to football. The whole practice shouldn't be slowed down because guys are dinged up. Im glad you don't coach the team.. talk about camp cupcake. Geeze.
  14. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Poppinga was just on with BAD Radio on The Ticket.

He sounds like CJ Wilson 2.0