1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Possible Boys 2013 #1 pick playing tonight

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by kirkjrk, Dec 20, 2012.

1. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Tonight's Poinsettia Bowl between BYU vs. San Diego State contains several NFL prospects. One, Ezekial Ansah #47 6-6, 270 OLB/DE, may be the Teams # 1 pick in 2013 Draft in April. Others to watch are as follows.

BYU

#2 WR Cody Hoffman 6-4,215

#3 LB Kyle Van Noy 6-3,235

San Diego State

#2 CB Leon McFadden 5-10,190
  2. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,875 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    I'm definitely intrigued by Ansah. He can really only go up from where he is right now. He has a great story behind him as well. Kid has a lot of potential.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,246 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    I definitely think they go pass rush first round, maybe Ansah. SD State has a TE that is supposed to be a riser too.
  4. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

970 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Ansah certainly has a lot of good press for his limited time playing football, thanks for reminding us about the games I had forgotten it was on tonight. My two cents is we need Oline drafted in first either Barrett Jones or J. Cooper but what do I know I liked Mendenhall over Felix four years ago and thought Jenkins was a steal two picks later.
  5. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,241 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    [IMG]

From what little I've seen of Ansah, I've been impressed. Considering he's only been playing football for 3 years, he looks like he could be a beast. Great size for a DE at 6'6" 270 lbs. and is a terrific athlete for his size. He'll definitely end up being drafted in the first round. Would love to have him in Dallas obviously, but he might go earlier then where we'll pick if/when he puts up big numbers at the combine.
  6. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,197 Messages
    479 Likes Received
    He will be drafted top 15. Folks will see the next JPP and take a chance. With the new CBA, don't have to worry as much about 1st round money.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,783 Messages
    4,335 Likes Received
    Thanks for the reminder.

Despite limited experience, I don't see Ansah as a high risk pick. I think the worst case scenario is that he is a good rotational DLineman. In the best case scenario, I see him as more of a J.J.Watt type than a JPP type. Ansah appears to be better on straight-line inside type of rushes than "bending-the-corner" on the outside.
  8. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Your absolutely right about the TE--Gavin Escobar. 6-6,255,Jr. #88. 41 rec.,519 yds,6tds
  9. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Mac, I hear what your saying about Oline and totally agree. However, in my eyes, it looks like in order to get a top Dlineman it's first round or nothing. Where we will pick in the second round I don't feel a solid starter will still be available, but I do feel an Olineman will--Larry Warford, Dallas Thomas, Oday Aboushi. Even a good olineman in the third Khalid Holmes, Gabe Jackson,etc. In the fourth round, or 2nd pick in the third if we trade back for another third, I would pick Brandon Williams NT from Missouri Southern my pet Cat. So in summary, our picks would be 1st-DL, 2nd-OL, 3rd-OL, 3rd or 4th-DL. At that point we've taken care of the DL and OL, then can start on S,CB,RB,etc.
  10. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,628 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Going into a draft this need based is a recipe for disaster. It should be BPA with need also in the equation, and going strictly with need will kill any draft.

If we went purely with need, Murray wouldn't be on this team. A better player with a high grade who falls and fits even a reasonable need should considered over a reach for a certain position to be filled.
  11. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,875 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    I kinda want the Cowboys to use their first pick on this kid. :D

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders with unlimited potential. The more I think about it the more I want to draft him.
  12. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

970 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    I agree BPA, but we are playing in make believe land here in December. I have a good reputation of being incorrect on these things. Last year my predraft picks resulted in only one hit and that was Danny Coale. That said Barrett Jones and Cooper are guards and extremely nasty energizer bunnies. No one wants to draft Oline or Dline first rd, but the foundation is falling and we need to shore one side up early.
  13. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,983 Messages
    585 Likes Received
    Watching this kid right now and I just don't see how this kid playing de in the 3-4 any time soon. Great motor on the kid but he needs to add what would seem like 20 lbs and a lot of strength. I think he's better off in a 4-3 front where he can use his speed in a little more space.

Like the kid and like the idea of what he could possibly become, I'm just not even close to sold on a 1st round pick.
  14. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,628 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Yeah everything is make believe right now, no camps, no all-star games, no combine, so we just go on what we have seen them do on the field in college which is alot of the picture but not all of it at all.

I think most want OL or DL actually, although its not a sexy pick, most know that area deserves attention. My only point was you don't go into a draft or a pick thinking one position or you will end up with a bunch of Ekubans and Goodrichs.

Don't worry, mocks just have a low success rate, its not just you. If you are picking like we will be, probably in the 20s, you have to see who is there cause the later you pick the more BPA takes over.

The FO has done alot better drafting lately cause they are finally looking at BPA more than just picking someone cause they need that positon. I look for that to continue.
  15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,246 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Van Noy is the best player on the field right now.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,246 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    2013 NFL Draft Scouting Notes: Poinsettia Bowl (BYU vs San Diego State)

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012...s-poinsettia-bowl-byu-vs-san-diego-state.html
  17. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,983 Messages
    585 Likes Received
    Van Noy was very impressive.

Ansah didn't necessarily look bad, but he wasn't impressive at all either. I'd like to see my 1st round d-line show a little more against the San Diego State o-line. He didn't get a whole lot of push against anybody on that line. Often getting pushed back as well. Like I said earlier, if hes really going to play DE in the 3-4 he needs to add like 20 pounds and get a lot stronger. I think he's more of a hand down 4-3 pass rusher. 3-4 DE would be a waste of his athleticism.
  18. Paniolo22

Paniolo22 Hawaiian Cowboy

3,611 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    That was an incredible performance by KVN.
  19. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,726 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    Speaking of Ansahs and finding good D linemen beyond the first round, we took Akwasi Owusu-Ansah in the 4th round in 2010 at #126, and the Bengals drafted Geno Atkins at #120.... Atkins had stamina concerns due to a sickle cell trait diagnosis, a hidden gem apparently. Guy is a beast.
  20. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

970 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Lets take Ansah off the first round list(you guys must see more potential than I can), I really like the TE from SDstate Escobar not sure where he will fall in the draft.

As Walker stated:
    Notre Dame nose tackle Louis Nix and left tackle Zack Martin will both return to Notre Dame next season and not enter the 2013 NFL Draft

The List is starting to tighten up for us if we are taking Oline or Dline our guy is already being discussed and dissected in our draft forum.