1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Possible good news in regards to D Line

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dantheman41, Apr 28, 2013.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,818 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    You do know they could have cut him at anytime right? Why do you think he is still on the roster with a nonguaranteed contract and no serious SB commitment from his late round rookie contract?
  2. LynnFoster

LynnFoster Member

102 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I had the exact same thought. There are two moving pieces to Brent's situation - the courts and league office - and Jones likely has very good insight into both at this point. Brent has a very good legal team and by now they have very likely been able to negotiate something with the DA. It will be stiff but could easily be structured with a lot of probation, high restitution and jail time done in the offseason but still done in a way that allows Brent to play (which ties directly to his ability to pay the restitution).

Jones has also likely had enough discussions with the league office to know if Brent will get a suspension of 4 games, 8 games or 16. The Cowboys likely have a clear picture of how things will play out with Brent for the coming season.

Short and Dalton were both taken right before the Dallas 2nd and 3rd round picks and that may have been the reason also, but I had the exact same reaction as the OP.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,297 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    He looks like a nice prospect.

Looks like the Bucs cut him because he wasn't getting along well with his teammates....?

Getting Brent back would be huge for this d line.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,045 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    Jerry certainly has the contacts within the local legal community and the league office to know exactly what Brent's status is. After that it is up to him.
  5. AmericasTeam81

AmericasTeam81 Active Member

451 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Playing devils advocate here, but what jobs he be allowed to have?
  6. lockster

lockster Member

648 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    First off, This game is about football not Who's going to be the pastor for ur local church. Secondly, if everytime someone messed up in life they got kicked off the team, none of us would have a family or job! We're humans. Thirdly, if he's sincerely repentent, who here is good enough to cast the first stone?!
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,873 Messages
    3,342 Likes Received
    Stopped reading right there. Jerry said we were good at DL. I did not expect us to draft any after a comment like that.
  8. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,397 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    If we carry 4 defensive tackles next year, Lissemore and Price should be the front runners for the two backups.
  9. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,270 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    So one point of curiosity I've had since Day 1...what would we have done if Sylvester Williams had slid to 31? He came close, I think Indy picked him at 29. I think it was Broaddus who implied that the team was surprised that happened, they were hoping/thinking that Indy would take a corner and Sly would be there.

That may have been just smoke or guessing on Broaddus' part. But Jerry saying we're good at DL could have been smoke too. I was pretty deflated when Williams got picked two slots ahead of us. My fan's opinion was that he'd be a great fit that could play 1 tech or 3 tech. But I have no idea if he was a target at 31 or if they would have taken Frederick anyway.

I'm happy that Frederick is here, so it's moot, just curious about what they'd have done with the choice of those two at 31.
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,618 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    IMO, Brent and Ratliff should be off the team.

Brent did a stupid thing.....and it cost someone his life.....a friend, a teammate, and possibly a future player for the team. He made a poor choice and now must deal with the consequences....no more playing for the Cowboys.

Then, right after that, Ratliff gets a DUI.....I guess he didn't learn from Brent's mistake. I guess the loss of a teammate wasnt enough to keep him from being stupid. If I were Jerry, Ratliff would have been off the team as soon as the proof came in that he was guilty.

One rule I would like to see the NFL and NFLPA work together on is that if a player gets a DUI or legitimately fails a drug test, the team can cut the player without there being a cap penalty. Also, that player is barred from signing with another team until the June 1 that follows that season. During that time, the player must concede to attend counceling, rehab, and a certain number of hours of community service. If these measures are not completed by the June 1 date, the player must wait an entire calendar year to sign with a team.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,873 Messages
    3,342 Likes Received
    That is a damn good question. Too bad we will never know. With a couple of picks to go I honestly thought we were going to draft Williams at 31. My wish is that we could have heard the War Room audio.
  12. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,509 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    Honestly don't know, he can still play ball as far as I'm concerned but I don't think it should be in Dallas. Also I've seen people on here more angry at Vick and his dogs than this guy for causing the death of another person. Hmmm!!! But if he did play in Dallas I wouldn't care, I just think It shows bad.
  13. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,450 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    In Dallas county the "intoxicated manslaughter" charge gets little to no jail time for first time offenders.
  14. visionary

visionary Benched

7,264 Messages
    1,909 Likes Received
    My guess is they would have taken Sly and the tried like heck to trade up to early 2nd round for Frederick

That actually would have been a great start to the draft
  15. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,270 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    My guess as well.
  16. AmericasTeam81

451 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I agree with you on the Vick comment. The life of a dog has more value that a human to some apparently.
  17. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,224 Messages
    77 Likes Received

Spare me the sanctimonious bull . No one, absolutely no one, has stated Brent should not be punished, or that dogs are worth are worth more than a human life.

You don't believe he should play football, or more specifically, for the Dallas Cowboys, then say so. But stop with the self righteous flaying of an imaginary dead horse.
  18. AmericasTeam81

451 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I think Brent should be allowed to play again if an owner of a team wants him to play. I have little to no problem with him playing the cowboys.
  19. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,000 Messages
    441 Likes Received
  20. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    There was a WR recently that killed a man while he was drunk.

Jabar Gaffney, perhaps.

The player just signed a nice contract with a new team before the accident.

He still played.

I would say at least half the people boning up on this guy have driven while they have had a buzz.

I am not justifying it, but this is a microcosm of this blame someone society.

He will be punished. At some point a man who has done wrong pays for his failures.

Or every crime would be the death penalty.