1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Possible to get Cooper and Lane Johnson?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Feb 6, 2013.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,051 Messages
    2,287 Likes Received
    Or some type of Guard / Tackle combo with our 1st 2 picks?

We could trade down and get Cooper and then use our trade down extra ammo to trade back up with our 2nd and get a tackle.

Then you have a new Guard, tackle, tyron, and lots of competition at Center and Right Guard with Leary, Costa, Arkin.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,572 Messages
    2,433 Likes Received
    Draft value wise, I think picks 18 and 47 roughly equal picks 27 and 29.

But 27 and 29 may be a bit too low unless we get lucky.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I think that if Cooper shows well in the Combine, he's not going to be there. I know that historically, Guards go later but he may be the kind of athlete that gets taken in the 1st round, even at Guard.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,051 Messages
    2,287 Likes Received
    Perfect guy to trade back for and add some depth to our draft class imo.

Im all about quantity in this draft. I wouldn't be too upset if we traded completely out of round 1.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    BS on the quantity over quality. We have fallen into that trap too often
  6. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,012 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    The way Jerry has spoke about Livings and Bernadeau im starting to doubt they even go after a guard high in the draft. I can see them going after Fluker instead of Lane. Lane is bad against bull rushes. I think that might remind them too much of Free.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I think Lane is way better with speed rushers then Free was. Johnson is probably 6-5/6-6. He has the frame to put on weight and as he grows, he's going to get stronger. Once that happens, those bull rushes are going to be less and less of a problem. Johnson looks to me like one heck of an athlete when I watch him. His problems are not really effort or technique as much as it is physical maturity IMO. He has natural effort in his game and he is very fluid for a man his size IMO.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,012 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    I agree with on on Lane but does Dallas have the time to Wait? Does Garrett have the time? They cant wait around for the maturation. They're still waiting on Smith to get that out of the way. Fluker is already a mans body.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,144 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I like Cooper... He's a very athletic guard.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,051 Messages
    2,287 Likes Received
    It's usually BS but for what we need i'll take the quantity.

We need linemen and the 3rd best defensive tackle isn't much better than the 4th or 5th.

We need numbers on the O and D line and none of these current players look like Superstars.

Give me Cooper or Lane Johnson + extra picks over just Warmack.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    and that has worked so well for us in the past
  12. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,099 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    I know its nice to dream and everything, but what about our draft history makes anybody think there is a shot in hell of us going o line in rounds 1 and 2??? We will be lucky if we get any o line in either round honestly.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,051 Messages
    2,287 Likes Received
    Could care less about the past.

The quality just isn't there this year. Give me linemen in bunches in this class.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Well, this is the same logic that was used last year with DeCastro. I didn't really believe that then and I am not so sure I believe it now. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that DeCastro will be a good player and I believe he will win his share of Pro Bowls etc. but I never felt like he was the be all, end all of OLs like many said. I feel the same way about this years OLs. I see a lot of talent but I see nobody who can come in and be that all everything guy like a Thomas was or a Mangold. I think they all have some holes in their game.

Like it or not, we may have to wait no matter what we do.
  15. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,012 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    Yes but between Lane and Fluker. With Lane its more about not being at the maturation level with his body, strength and some technique. With Fluker that maturation isnt a problem because his body is already matured. The guy was run in a pro style system but he too needs work on his technique. But he doesnt need that maturation growth.

Oh and one of the coaches just got hired too. You dont think he would be asked what he thought about him? I like both players and i think Dallas needs a T even above a G. But with me id rather take a nasty player that can handle the physical part of the game from the get go, as opposed to a player who needs that maturation time.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Here is what I see in order.

1. I don't see any way Fluker is an OT the way he is right now. He would have to go to the combine and check in at around 320/325 and then he would have to show well.

2. The concern from the NFL, I suspcet, with Fluker will be if he can stay strong at a leaner weight. I believe that the NFL is going to worry about him being able to play at a lower weight at RT or they are going to have to move him to Guard and while I believe he could be a great player at G, I don't believe he will ever be a great player at RT at 355. The NFL will be less worried about his maturity level physically and more worried about him eating his way out of the League. Basically the same kind of thing they worried about with George Foster from Georgia and Aaron Gibson from Wisconsin. They both came out as huge men as Tackles and they both failed in the NFL because they could not get down to the weight they needed to be and maintain it.

3. Let me 1st say that I don't believe the Cowboys will draft Johnson because Johnson, IMO, is a LT. He is not a RT. If the Cowboys took him, it would be to play LT IMO. Now, that is not impossible because it is my opinion that, while Smith has the physical ability to play LT, he may actually be better suited to play RT. It would mean a switch for him back to RT and it would also create cap issues on the OL. You would be spending a lot of money on the Tackles. Johnson is 6-6 I believe and he has the body to put on weight. By the time he gets to the Combine, he will probably weigh in the area of 315 to 320. He will get stronger and he will improve his technique, which is not bad now but will get much better. Physically, he can do anything at OT because he has excellent athleticism. His potential at LT is through the roof.

That's just how I see this.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,787 Messages
    5,941 Likes Received
    I see Fluker as similar to a less athletic Leonard Davis. Arizona wasted their time playing Bigg at OT.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Yes, they did. A decent RG though.
  19. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,012 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    Well seems that scouts are disagreeing with you. Because Fluker rising. As a RT not a G.

Why i dont know. But id like to see him in a Cowboy uniform. And if he works better at G IDC. The guy is a nasty, huge. Something this team needs. Warmack or Fluker id love.
  20. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,148 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I think I would be more than happy to let Parnell start at RT as long as we got some new inside players in this draft. How would Warmack and Cooper compare to DeCastro ?