1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Post Collapse Mockeration

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboysfan31, Dec 12, 2011.

1. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Another collapse, another mock...what's new?

1. Peter Konz C Wisconsin 6'5" 315lbs He has medical concerns, but he's also the best C in the draft and that's what we desperately need. Huge instant upgrade here over Costa/Kowalski.

2. Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma St 6'1" 198lbs Martin is a true FS with ballhawking potential. He is capable of making big hits, but sometimes fails to wrap up. He and Sensabaugh would give the Cowboys good range from the S position.

3. Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin 6'4" 318lbs Two OL from the same school in the same draft is unlikely, but these two are a good fit for Dallas. Zeitler has good balance making him equal in pass and run protection. He's also got good feet and is able to pull.

4. Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt 5'11" 185lbs Hayward is another ballhawk to add to our secondary. He is always around the ball, and likes setting the tone for the defense. No more playing with our backs to the ball.

5. Adrian Robinson LB/DE Temple 6'2" 250lbs Robinson played in every single game of his college career. He's a high-motor player, that works hard on and off the field. He's undersized to stay at DE, so will have to play LB in the NFL.

6. Asa Jackson CB Cal Poly 5'11" 190lbs Asa got more attention for track than football coming out of high school, but he's become a dangerous player at Cal Poly as a CB and return man. Intercepted 2 balls and returned them both for TDs (100yds and 52yds) this year, as well as averaging 18yds/punt return and 26yds/kick return. He adds depth at multiple positions for us.

6. (Comp Pick) Terrance Gannaway RB/FB Baylor 5'11" 240lbs He plays RB right now, but is at the size were he's a bit of a tweener. He could bulk up and play FB or be a short-yardage RB. He can carry the load, and has surprising burst for his size.

7. Juron Criner WR Arizona 6'4" 215lbs Dallas has struggled with injuries and inconsistency at the WR spot. Criner has been a big play receiver in college, but also has health concerns. Could be a steal here.

Any thoughts?
  2. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,514 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Switch the 1st pick 2 Devon Still and its great
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    If it's not abundantly clear that Dallas needs to find a pass rusher opposite Ware and a CB to replace Newman I'm not sure when it will be.

This will be a defensive heavy draft. The Cowboys are going to ride Kowalski, Arkin and Costa into 2012. I'm almost convinced you can cross the interior line off of the draft list. If anything, I can see them going to the FA route just as they did with Davis and Kosier.

The only 2 positions I can see be addressed at all is RB and TE and late if that.

Spencer wont be back, Dallas needs a pass rusher. The argument can be made Dallas needs to look for 2 CB's, FS is a legitimate possibility, no depth at ILB and for the last 2 seasons Dallas has looked long and hard at DL but missed out. Something has to be brewing there.
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Still is Spears part two . We already have guys that can't produce a pass rush .
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,147 Messages
    1,118 Likes Received
    I bet you it's not. The team never drafts the way one would expect. Wouldn't be surprised to see QB, WR, HB and/or TE among our first 5 picks.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    I think unless the boys are sure that Kowalski will be measureably better than Costa they get another one.
  7. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm fine with a defensive heavy draft, but I'm more a proponent of moving to a 4-3 defense and signing Mario Williams opposite DeMarcus Ware than trying to draft and groom someone to rush the passer.

I'm not crossing interior OL off my draft list yet, because Holland and Dockery and both free agents this year. Kosier is getting up in age and won't hang around for ever either.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,369 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    Any draft that doesn't have at least 2/3 picks on the defensive side of the ball is a fail.
  9. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    we absolutely MUST increase the pass rush; hard on that is at least one more really good CB.

Konz worries me because with our luck anyone with a health issue will die on us.
  10. calicowboy54

calicowboy54 Active Member

215 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Mario williams is not going anywhere..... he notched 6 sacks before his injury if he went full season your looking at 15-20 sacks no way they let that kind of potential production go.....
  11. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,426 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    I bet they do, Barwin and Reed has been playing real good. I think Williams likes being a down DE ina 4-3. With his size and speed and greatness, I can se Houston frnachising and tradig him. But it would take a 1st to get him and then you would have to shell out alot of money to sign him.
  12. calicowboy54

calicowboy54 Active Member

215 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I cannot find the link again but on ESPN they talked about the Texans already being in discussions about Contract extension but if they could not work something out they were going to franchise him. So i think he is staying but i have been wrong before....
  13. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,569 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Like the draft but Hayward will not last until the 4th. He might not make it out of the 2nd. I like him from what I read of him.
  14. dboy214

dboy214 Benched

3,122 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i agree 100%. it's time to stop ignoring the defense.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Broaddus had a little report , about a week ago , that said he talked to a few scouts at Valley Ranch that stated that they were scouting interior ol very heavy , for what it's worth .
  16. supercowboy8

5,426 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Of corse they are, I can see us drafting one Interior OL at least early, first 3 rounds. I still say we get a OG and Center. But some have said the Nagy or Arkin could play and have played Center and both are better suited for that position. I think COsta only started this season because he is the only one that knows the playbook with such a short offseason.
  17. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure that Arian Foster, and their C Chris Myers are both going to be free agents as well. I remember reading awhile back that the Texans most likely would not be able to afford to franchise tag him, and may lose in a bidding war. I made a thread last week where I said I was willing to give as much as 5-year/$60 million for him to be on the same DL as Ware and Ratliff if it came down to it.
  18. supercowboy8

5,426 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Yeah plus with how good Barwin and Reed are playing, I don't see the point of the Texans resigning him. We have no shot, he would cost way more than 12 a year. Some 4-3 team will give him way more than that.
  19. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    after playing well last night I think Kowalski might be in the mix now.
  20. dboy214

dboy214 Benched

3,122 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    it's crazy how some teams, like the texans, who are proactive and diligent in scouting and drafting, can afford to lose an all pro caliber player like mario.

here we are on the other end ready and willing to pickup whatever teams will throw us.