1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Post-Combine Draft Thoughts-- Outside Linebacker...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by silverbear, Mar 5, 2012.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    OK, finally, this is a very good draft class... lots of options here...

I also think that it's increasingly likely that the Boys will target a pass rusher with their first round pick, based on some of the things that Jerry has said about the Giants winning the Super Bowl... I think he wants to develop the same kind of fierce pass rush that their defense featured, and will make that priority one in reshaping his offense (priority two will, of course, be shoring up the secondary)...

Courtney Upshaw, Alabama...

Nick Perry, USC...

Mercilus Whitney, Illinois... these three are all first round prospects, rated by NFLDS between 21 and 26... so the Boys could trade down a little, to say pick 22-24s (at those picks, the team's first and second offer roughly comparable value to the Boys' 14th pick alone)... I like all three of these pass rushers, but Mercilus would be my call here; not only did he lead the nation in sacks as a senior, he led the nation in forced fumbles too... he's what I call a playmaker...

Zach Brown, North Carolina...

Andre Branch, Clemson...

Bruce Irvin, West Virginia

Shea McClellin, Boise State... if the Boys opt to go another direction in the 1st round, any one of these four would make terrific options in the second...

Demario Davis, Arkansas State... a little undersized for the NFL, but an intriguing sleeper in the 3rd round...

Keenan Robinson, Texas... and another Horn makes the list... he carries a solid 4th round grade...

Jake Bequette, Arkansas... a personal favorite, I see him going in the 4th round too...

Emmanuel Acho, Texas... little brother of Sam, and a good prospect in his own right... he'll probably be drafted in the 5th or 6th round range...

Donte Paige-Moss, North Carolina... injury issues push him down to the 6th or 7th round range... he'd be a worthwhile gamble on greatness late, I think...

Now for some players who are likely to go undrafted, but I still like them:

Sammy Brown, Houston... led the nation in tackles for loss...

Dexter Heyman, Louisville...

Darius Nall, Central Florida...
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,556 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    If Baqutte lasts until the our 4th round pick, and assuming we had not yet taken a OLB, we would have to pull the trigger!
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,292 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    I don't think Zach Brown is a 3-4 OLB prospect. A guy who might be that is getting overlooked is Oklahoma's Ronnell Lewis, though.

I've got a major man crush on Bruce Irvin, I just don't think he'll be there for us in the 3rd.
  4. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My thinking is that with his speed, Zach Brown would make a nice WILB...
  5. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,848 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    Word on Perry is he fits the 4-3 better and that he would prefer to stay in a 4-3. Late 1st or early 2nd round pick.
  6. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,742 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    It would be great if Jerry allowed someone (his coach maybe) to establish some type of identity for this team. Every year it is something else that catches his eye. Please someone tell him that the Giants have such a good pass rush because they invest in ite EVERY year or close to it. Jerry's way of picking players does not help this team find any type of identity but this could be due to all the years he has screwed up in FA or the drafts. I wish he would just go in the corner and SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!!
    When he sold his soul for those first three the devil must not have told him the part about how this team will lose afterwards untill he goes away.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,537 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    If he isn't going to be there in the 3rd (which I agree with) why not pick him in the second round. I really think he has what it takes to be a great pass rusher. He is very athletically gifted so I have little doubt that he can't handle the OLB spot in this hybrid 3-4 that we run.

I think it is much easier to commit to this pick if we end up trading down in the first and end up netting a late 2nd rounder in the process.
  8. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Disagree...not a good year at all for OLB prospects.

A good year is when you have a Ware and a Merriman top 10-15.

All these OLB prospects have serious flaws.