1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Post-Combine Mock, 2MAR12

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by casmith07, Mar 2, 2012.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,583 Messages
    1,902 Likes Received
    In this scenario, the Cowboys stand pat until DeCastro goes to the Cardinals. We then work a trade to pick up some ammo in the later rounds.

Free Agency

Released/Waived: Newman, Ball, Elam, Kitna (Retired), Brooking (Retired)

Re-Signed: Spencer, Fiammetta, Robinson, James (1-Year Veteran Deal)

Added: Brandon Carr, Paul Soliai (1-Year "Show Me" Deal), Evan Mathis, Jason Campbell

The Draft

1. Harrison Smith, Safety, Notre Dame -- Trading down into the 20s and picking up an additional 2nd round pick, the Cowboys select Harrison Smith to take Abe Elam's spot in the defensive backfield. A smart, physical player with surprising athleticism, Smith comes in and becomes the immediate leader in the secondary, and "quarterback" of the defense. Paired with another athletic safety in Sensabaugh, our defensive backfield gets a much needed shot in the arm of athleticism and smarts. What was once a weakness is now a strength with the addition of Brandon Carr.

2a. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia -- one thing the Cowboys like to do in the 2nd round, it seems, is take a guy who otherwise would fall due to injury. Getting hurt in the Senior Bowl may or may not affect his draft stock, but here's to hoping the Cowboys don't care and draft this guy. Smart, Captain of the Bulldogs with great athleticism and versatility (played WR, RB, CB, and returned punts and kicks for Georgia), Boykin plays the slot very well and could start for many teams in the league. Provides insurance in case Mike Jenkins decides to test the free agent market, and also provides a increased value in his return skills and could even be used on offense. An all-around athlete, he is also very well-spoken, something that Garrett seems to covet. He is also the only player in SEC history with three separate plays of 100-yards or more of any kind.

2b. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska -- people are saying that his stock is falling. No matter, we can get him late. Jared Crick is another high-character guy who might have gone higher if not for his pectoral injury. Otherwise, we need help along the defensive line, and Crick can provide that assistance as a platoon guy at DE. Collected a smorgasbord of sacks before getting hurt this past year, he knows how to get to the quarterback.

3. Alameda Ta'amu, DT/NT, Washington -- 6 foot 3 inches, and 348 pounds. He isn't going to wow you with blazing speed or a magical vertical leap, but the dude is strong and he is big. While he won't collect huge sack totals in this defense, he pushes the pocket and will command double teams, freeing up our new DE Crick as well as Jay Ratliff to do damage on the outside. With Ratliff freed up, Spencer can excel in stuffing the run like he's supposed to, and if teams make the mistake of doubling Ware, Ta'amu, and Ratliff, well, Spencer will have plenty of free shots at the QB.

4. Phillip Blake, C, Baylor -- we need a Center. I believe we will replace one Phil with a better Phil. This guy has supposedly been heavily scouted by the Cowboys. Might be the lock of the draft. With this pick, the offensive line is pretty much good to go, and finally Romo can have a consistently clean pocket to throw from.

5. James-Michael Johnson, ILB, Nevada -- another guy who is apparently being heavily looked at by the front office. JMJ will provide some of that Bradie James lunchpail style play on the inside, but with the speed and athleticism to get it done in coverage. Probably a project for the future at this point (especially with Bruce Carter hopefully becoming our very own Patrick Willis, fingers crossed), but it never hurts to have a devastating stable of Front 7 players capable of covering, running sideline to sideline, and getting after the quarterback.

6. T.Y. Hilton, WR, Florida Int'l -- we need a guy in the slot that's small, shifty, and quick. Hilton might also get some work in the backfield as a scat back/receiving option. Another alternate pick here could be Chris Rainey. He can also return punts and kicks...an interesting combo special teams formation would be Hilton/Bryant both waiting for a punt or kick, or Hilton/Boykin. We've had some success with the double-returner formation where one blocks and the other takes the kick, preventing the fair catch.

6.Comp. Chandler Harnish, QB, NIU -- he's got a little Romo in him. A definite project, Harnish comes in an usurps McGee as the third guy on the roster. McGee is never going to be good enough to step in for Romo in the future, and with us watching Kitna take a coaching job back home in Washington State, we need a third guy. Harnish has potential.

7. Bryan Anger, P, Cal -- just for Hos ;)

Flame it!
  2. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,259 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    everything looks good except the first round pick...lol...I don't think no safety in this class is worth a first other than maybe barron. I have to wait to see him in drills and his proday numbers first. But harrison smith isn't a bad safety. I guess i would like this draft more if we addressed the offensive line more in FA. Atleast a guard and center.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,361 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Evan Mathis and Phillip Blake are your projected, improvements to the offensive line's interior. That going to be enough there?

Then there is safety. Here, the starters projected are Gerald Sensabaugh and Barry Church. You are adding Harrison Smith, via the draft. So the additional two needs would have to be filled by: Mana Silva or Danny McCray.

I'm presuming that upgrades at cornerback being the drafted Brandon Boykin and Brandon Carr. Those are intended to replace the departing Ball and Newman. But even this means a need to replace Frank Walker as well. Here, I guess you intend that to be filled by: Wilson, Butler, or Taplin-Ross.

The drafting of: Jared Crick, Alameda Ta'amu, and James-Michael Johnson approach the depth and need on the defensive side of the ball. But yet, didn't approach the need for depth at the OLB strong side position. Butler fills in behind DeMarcus Ware.

I think that I would have allowed Bradie James to be allowed to pack his bags as well, but taken Jake Kuechly with my first pick. But if I did trade down, it would have been with Barron in my sights. He had Church would have an immediate Camp competition for starter.

If I were to take Ta'amu in the third, and been able to move Jay Ratliff out to the defensive end position, I would then have filled the OLB need in the 2nd round and drafted: Bruce Irvin OLB, West Virginia

I would then have arrived at the 5th round with a cornerback need. That would have been my pick at 5. That I would have paired with your Boykin pick, and Carr in free agency.

But with the trade, and volume acquired, I would have instead picked Barron in the first...

So, going upon this the draft would have looked like:

1. Mark Barron SS
    2a. Brandon Boykin
    2b. Bruce Irvin OLB
    3. Alameda Ta'amu
    4. Phillip Blake

Then, from this point forward, one still needs a cornerback, tight end, and quarterback.
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,578 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I like it. You picked some different guys than we're used to. Kudos for thinking outside the box.

I'm not a big fan of Ta'amu or Michael-Johnson. But if the draft went like this, I'd be pretty happy.
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I seriously doubt Paul Soliai would accept a 1 year "show me" deal. Someone will sign him for a long term contract.

I don't think Evan Mathis is going to fix our oline issues either. There is a reason he gets bounced around so much and doesn't always man the starting guard position. He usually steps in for injuries. That is what he did last year too. We saw how [strike]great[/strike] poor the Shegal's offensive line was last year.
  6. Goku

Goku Benched

388 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    awesome draft. did you pick smith over barron b/c you think barron won't be there to draft or b/c you like smith better than barron?

i really hate resigning james. not only b/c of his play, but also b/c i really want Lee to take over the locker room with some fresh fierce leadership. that would be difficult for him to do if james is still here.
  7. casmith07

26,583 Messages
    1,902 Likes Received
    I like Smith better. When I see Barron play, I basically see a nickel linebacker trying to play safety. I don't think he is much of an improvement over guys on the roster already like Church or Silva.

I like that Smith had a ton of unassisted tackles playing for a subpar defense. It shows that he's had to make a lot of plays, and makes them.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,188 Messages
    3,013 Likes Received
    Good write-up!

Here goes...

The Draft

Harrison Smith, Safety, Notre Dame -- Trading down into the 20s and picking up an additional 2nd round pick, the Cowboys select Harrison Smith to take Abe Elam's spot in the defensive backfield. A smart, physical player with surprising athleticism, Smith comes in and becomes the immediate leader in the secondary, and "quarterback" of the defense. Paired with another athletic safety in Sensabaugh, our defensive backfield gets a much needed shot in the arm of athleticism and smarts. What was once a weakness is now a strength with the addition of Brandon Carr.
    I prefer Smith to Barron also. I would take a shot at getting down to about #28 to get Smith and a late 2nd and late 3rd. This might require trading down twice. There is a lot of value in the 3rd this year, IMO.

2a. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia -- one thing the Cowboys like to do in the 2nd round, it seems, is take a guy who otherwise would fall due to injury. Getting hurt in the Senior Bowl may or may not affect his draft stock, but here's to hoping the Cowboys don't care and draft this guy. Smart, Captain of the Bulldogs with great athleticism and versatility (played WR, RB, CB, and returned punts and kicks for Georgia), Boykin plays the slot very well and could start for many teams in the league. Provides insurance in case Mike Jenkins decides to test the free agent market, and also provides a increased value in his return skills and could even be used on offense. An all-around athlete, he is also very well-spoken, something that Garrett seems to covet. He is also the only player in SEC history with three separate plays of 100-yards or more of any kind.
    I would love to have Boykin on the team as a slot-CB, but I would take my chances that he falls the to 3rd or a least to your later 2nd rounder. I know he is muscular, but at only 5'9-1/4", 182 he is really small.

2b. Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska -- people are saying that his stock is falling. No matter, we can get him late. Jared Crick is another high-character guy who might have gone higher if not for his pectoral injury. Otherwise, we need help along the defensive line, and Crick can provide that assistance as a platoon guy at DE. Collected a smorgasbord of sacks before getting hurt this past year, he knows how to get to the quarterback.
    I watched him in several games and was just not impressed, but he's got good measureables and good character. I actually prefer Billy Winn or in later rounds Derek Wolfe. I'd like Crick better in the 3rd, I guess.

3. Alameda Ta'amu, DT/NT, Washington -- 6 foot 3 inches, and 348 pounds. He isn't going to wow you with blazing speed or a magical vertical leap, but the dude is strong and he is big. While he won't collect huge sack totals in this defense, he pushes the pocket and will command double teams, freeing up our new DE Crick as well as Jay Ratliff to do damage on the outside. With Ratliff freed up, Spencer can excel in stuffing the run like he's supposed to, and if teams make the mistake of doubling Ware, Ta'amu, and Ratliff, well, Spencer will have plenty of free shots at the QB.
    I don't see them drafting 2 DL this high and signing a FA DL. I would change 2a or 3 to an OLB.

Phillip Blake, C, Baylor -- we need a Center. I believe we will replace one Phil with a better Phil. This guy has supposedly been heavily scouted by the Cowboys. Might be the lock of the draft. With this pick, the offensive line is pretty much good to go, and finally Romo can have a consistently clean pocket to throw from.
    I like this pick. He might be the only 4th rounder in this draft that has a chance to start on day one.

James-Michael Johnson, ILB, Nevada -- another guy who is apparently being heavily looked at by the front office. JMJ will provide some of that Bradie James lunchpail style play on the inside, but with the speed and athleticism to get it done in coverage. Probably a project for the future at this point (especially with Bruce Carter hopefully becoming our very own Patrick Willis, fingers crossed), but it never hurts to have a devastating stable of Front 7 players capable of covering, running sideline to sideline, and getting after the quarterback.
    Good pick in the 5th which is about where I expect them to look for ILB help.

6. T.Y. Hilton, WR, Florida Int'l -- we need a guy in the slot that's small, shifty, and quick. Hilton might also get some work in the backfield as a scat back/receiving option. Another alternate pick here could be Chris Rainey. He can also return punts and kicks...an interesting combo special teams formation would be Hilton/Bryant both waiting for a punt or kick, or Hilton/Boykin. We've had some success with the double-returner formation where one blocks and the other takes the kick, preventing the fair catch.
    I agree that Dallas needs this type of player. I prefer Rainey. I'm nitpicking, but Hilton has really small hands (8.5" vs 9.5" for Rainey).

6.Comp.
    Chandler Harnish, QB, NIU -- he's got a little Romo in him. A definite project, Harnish comes in an usurps McGee as the third guy on the roster. McGee is never going to be good enough to step in for Romo in the future, and with us watching Kitna take a coaching job back home in Washington State, we need a third guy. Harnish has potential.
    It seems like a low price to spend a 6th on a developmental QB, but the real cost is in keeping and developing him for multiple years. I'd really prefer the developmental guy be at least 6-2 and have average or better hand size. Harnish is 6'1-1/2" with 9-1/4" hands. The average hand size for QB at the combine was 9-3/4".

Bryan Anger, P, Cal -- just for Hos ;)
    Good name. I guess he's not as angry as Pat Angerer.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,031 Messages
    3,943 Likes Received
    I like this. I just wish I felt better about the Crick pick.
  10. casmith07

26,583 Messages
    1,902 Likes Received
    I wish I did too, but I can't justify anything else in the bottom half of round 2.

I feel like Crick is safe enough. His character is high, and I'm fairly certain he can play at the next level. May boom, may just be a JAG. Either way, we can afford to spend that pick there and see if he pans out. This isn't the best pass rush draft in the world.

Maybe take Shea McClellin there instead, but I've been mocking him a lot so I didn't put him in there this time. Another possibility would be Mychal Kendricks for a rush OLB/ILB hybrid.