1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Post FA mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Mar 19, 2012.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,091 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Round 1- Whitney Mercilus OLB Illinois- Good size, great athletic ability, and good production in college. Plays as situational pass rusher this year and groomed as Spencer's replacement for next year.

Round 2- Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers- Our great FA lets us take a great value at WR earlier than expected. Sanu was a 1st round pick until he ran a 4.64 40 at the combine. But that doesnt scare me, he is still a great value here. At 6'2 215 his great size combined with some of the best hands in the draft will make him a very good possession WR in the NFL. Not afraid to go over the middle and move the chains. Also a great blocker.

Round 3- Josh Norman CB Costal Carolina- Good size and athletic ability and plays best in press coverage. Dominated D2 with 35 pass breakups and 13 career INTS. Had a good senior bowl to quite concerns of his ability to play against top competition. Possible replacement for Jenkins in 1-2 years

Round 4- Phillip Blake C Baylor- Drafted to compete at C right away and to be an eventual entrenched starter for years to come. Probably the 2nd best C in this draft behind Kronz in my opinion so the value is good here.

Round 5- Loni Fangupo NT BYU- This is the 1 position myself, and most others, hoped to upgrade this off season. And I think we can still do it late in the draft with a guy like Fangupo. Hes the ideal NT. Short, stout, and incredibly strong. Not an every down player but a good rotational player to let Rat slide to the outside from time to time.

Round 6- James Hanna TE Oklahoma- Its no secret that we are looking for a 2nd/3rd TE. Hanna provides some versatility with good blocking skills while also a guy teams would have to respect as a receiving threat. Not the freak of nature athlete TE, but knows how to get the job done.

Comp Pick- Andrew Datko OT FL ST- Started 40 games at LT for FL St before his senior year was cut short early due to shoulder surgery. His health is a legit concern, but if he can stay healthy he will a great value this late in the draft given his pedigree.

Round 7- Ryan Van Bergen DE Michigan- At 6'6 290 lbs hes worth a look to see if he can make the roster.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,282 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    I can't fully support any draft that has us taking a WR or TE in the 2nd, but I like the rest of this. I'm a big Fangupo fan.
  3. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Agree and rather go DL in r2 but i like the rest.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,091 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    If someone like Sanu is there I think the we can afford to make the luxury pick. We use a ton of 3 WR sets and we currently dont have a decent 3rd WR on the roster. I wouldnt take just any WR early in the draft, but if the value is right we have to consider it any round but the 1st in my opinion.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,282 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    I don't think we use as many WR sets as one might think because we have Witten. 3 WR's and Witten is basically a 4 receiver set for us.

Sanu is a good player, I just feel like we have so many needs before we get to receiving options.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Not at all a bad effort.

I'd hope we could drop a few spots before grabbing Merciless but would have felt the same about Ware going into his draft, LOL.