1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Postons article

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by chicago JK, May 19, 2004.

1. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,603 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Masters Of Nonspeak: Meet The Postons
    By: Bob George/BosSports.net
    </FONT>

[size=-1]To heck with this sports agent thing. Why don’t the Poston brothers get into politics and run for an elected office?

That would be sweet. Try to pin these guys down on where they stand on an issue (John Kerry’s not much better)? Pity the fool who tries to debate them. Don’t worry about advertisements, their football clients alone could bankroll a decent campaign on their own.

If you watched Carl and Kevin on WBZ’s Sports Final on Sunday night, you might have noticed a lot of responses from the ebullient agents which smack of those well-heeled gals and gents who aspire to be your next senator, governor, or even president. Since this column does not normally venture into the political arena, we thank the Postons for giving us the opportunity to analyze all that politicians don’t tell you. We’ll do this by asking you the reader to extrapolate what is discussed here to the junior senator from the Bay State when it comes time for him to really make a push at Bush. See if the comparison is a valid one.

Actually, it may not be, or if it is, it is only in principle. Sometimes politicians will merely make promises they don’t intend to keep, other times they will become good at saying one thing and meaning another. But one of the most fun, as well as exasperating, qualities of a politician is watching him or her try and answer a question loaded with dynamite which they darned well know is lethal to try and answer. This is where they enter into the fine art, and art it most definitely is, of “nonspeak”.

In a court of law, of course, this stuff doesn’t wash. Being non-responsive can get you thrown in the hoosegow on contempt charges. Lying to Steve Burton of Channel 4 is simply impolite and disingenuous, but in a court of law they call it “perjury” and they will clear out a jail cell for you. But Sports Final isn’t a court of law.

Oops. It actually is a court of Law, but that’s too obvious a pun.

That said, you might have had a hard time deciphering what the Postons told Burton on Sunday night when pressed on the issue of Ty Law, one of their clients. So, we’ll do it for you, and if you like it, give us a call and we’ll try and translate Senator Kerry for you. You might have read a partial transcript of the interview on Boston Sports Media Watch, and their account of the evening is a most useful aid to this discussion.

Burton introduced them, then Carl made with this statement:

“Bill Belichick was in the same situation with the Giants.”

You Poston clients out there, make sure your agents double-check their facts and figures. LeVar Arrington will remind you all about this $6 million mistake these Poston guys made. Belichick was with the Jets when he had his contract dispute come up (HC of the NYJ, to refresh everyone’s memory).

“He was uncomfortable with the contract situation and filed a lawsuit and ended up with the Patriots. Ty's in the exact same situation.”

This is just totally wrong. Showing a horrid sense of priorities as well as an odd manner in handling his supposed Hall of Fame coaching career, Bill Parcells resigned his job as Jet head coach in 2000 for the express purpose of blocking the Patriots from signing Belichick with no compensation. Belichick balked at the new coaching arrangement because he was leery about working for then-new owner Woody Johnson, but would have stayed in Joisey had Leon Hess still been alive. Law has a contract which he no longer wants to honor for the lone reason that he wants to be the top paid cornerback in the league. These are two totally different positions.

“I don't have anything against the Patriots. But, when you cross my client, you cross us.”

Nice tough talk for prospective clients out there to enjoy. If you believe this last statement makes either Belichick or Scott Pioli lose one nanosecond of sleep, you probably also believe that you will get a raise if you go into your boss’s office and declare that you are a warrior who will fight to the death for what you believe in.

Burton shot back with “You guys come out and say ‘fair treatment, fair treatment’ and people can't relate to what you're saying. I'm telling you back home they're saying ‘51 million dollars?’ Is that not fair enough?"

Kevin replies, “You know why? You know why? Cause you're looking at the money. You say 51 and you're like wow, but let's look at it this way: let's look at it in simplistic terms. Let's look at five dollars. Because it's all relative. OK? It's all relative. Why? It could be a hundred million. It's about what your fair market value is.”

This is both nonsensical and intelligence insulting. “Cause your looking at the money”? How is it about anything other than money? What is Law’s key bode of contention? He wants to be the top paid cornerback in the NFL. And he’s condemning Burton for “looking at the money”? What else is there to look at when you have to sit there and listen to Law trash out his team in the media? The words between “looking at the money” and the fair market value reference are just plain gibberish. They represent a nervous and inarticulate attempt to answer a question they really don’t want to answer.

This is a question where Kerry would have done a lot better job of answering.

Burton goes on: “People back home think you guys are giving Ty Law bad advice. They're thinking you changed Ty Law. He's greedy, he's a greedy player, he's a selfish player and it's all coming from his agents. You two.”

Carl: “Ty Law is 30 years old. The Patriots had no intention of letting him go. Know why? Because they know he's worth a lot more. Even though Ty said I will take a pay...I will take less to play for the Patriots than I would to play for another team.”

This assumes you believe Poston when he says that Law would take a pay cut to remain here. This is not a credible statement when you again refer to the basis of Law’s public rants (top paid corner, Champ Bailey money at least). This claim literally turns this response into a non-response. Poston never did try to refute Burton’s claim of giving out bad advice in a direct and good faith manner.

So, Burton goes on the counterattack: “Ty has said, we have quotes of Ty Law saying 'I played like the best cornerback in the league. I want to be paid as the top cornerback in the league.’” Kevin’s response? “I'm sure he does. But remember one thing Ty also did. And in all my years in this business, fifteen years, I've never had a client say 'You know what? Let me find out exactly what I have to do. I will buy out my contract. Forget trade. Buy it out. I've got so much money that I will write you a check because all I want to do is be treated fairly. Now that's a heck of a statement.”

If nothing else, this only serves to exacerbate everyone’s negative perception of Law. If Law is willing to go to these lengths to get out of a contract for the sole purpose of merely being the highest paid player at his position in the league, this portrays Law as a greedy egomaniac. Poston should be providing damage control and improvement of his client’s image instead of reinforcing the negative perception of his client.

When Burton broached the subject of Law’s arrest in Miami, this exchange occurred:

Kevin: Oh, he was running from the police? That's what they say.

Burton: That's what they said.

Carl: I don't believe those things.

Burton: I don't know what he did.

Carl: If he was running from the police, I don't think they would've caught Ty.

More nonspeak instead of damage control, punctuated by a nice wisecrack from Carl. Nothing was said about the incident, just skepticism and disrespect for the police and deity status for their client. Carl mentioned something about the heavy traffic on South Beach on a Friday night, but all news accounts said that Law was fleeing the police after making an illegal lane change. Whether or not Carl was correctly apprised of the situation remains to be seen, but his instinctive reaction is support for the client, which really is his job that he must do. Still, this corner believes that damage control works better than flat denials and dissing the police.

If there is one question Burton never asked, here it is: “Carl and Kevin, your client is under contract for 2004 and 2005. Your client is due to make $10 million in 2004 and $14 million in 2005. Instead of asking your client to rework his contract to help the salary cap, the Patriots are going to take the extraordinary step and pay Law his exact cap figure for 2004, which is very unusual in today’s NFL. My question to you two is this: Define the word ‘contract’ in your own words and why you believe that Law is wrong in merely living up to an agreement he signed his name to a few years back?”

You can just imagine their response. It will do everything but actually answer the question. They will bring up the words “respect” and “been lied to”, but they will not come close to saying anything resembling “You’re right, Ty has a signed contract in place which will pay him handsomely in 2004. We will do everything it takes to advise Law to stop making adverse statements to the press and to honor the contract he signed back in 2000.” Law’s contract is mere toilet paper in the eyes of the Postons and Law himself.

This is why the Postons should run for public office. They know how not to answer questions, and advance the causes of their clients and themselves at the same time. They are at times a little on the inarticulate side, and some of their responses are totally absurd. But their foundations are clear: they want more clients and they know that someone out there will honor their outlandish monetary demands.

If you watched that interview, keep it in mind when the first presidential debate comes up. When Senator Kerry gets asked a question about an issue he loves to waffle on, maybe the Postons will barge on stage and answer for him. And you can just imagine what it will sound like. “Who do you think you are? You’re disrespecting the Senator! He is the most famous Senator in the nation and must be treated as such!”
    [IMG]

[/size]
  2. Reef Engineer

Reef Engineer New Member

810 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure why I bothered to read the article - but I did.

The Postons suck.
  3. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have to admit I really don't follow agents that much. What's so different about the Postons than any other agent.
  4. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If there is one question Burton never asked, here it is: “Carl and Kevin, your client is under contract for 2004 and 2005. Your client is due to make $10 million in 2004 and $14 million in 2005.

Those are at best rounded up Cap figures and not what Ty will make in those two years.

And BTW - The majority of that Salary is not guaranteed.

I'm with Law on this one, Pat organization went back on a promise and then low balled Ty.
  5. Reef Engineer

Reef Engineer New Member

810 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What promise did they make him and how did they low ball him? He has a contract so why bother re-negotiating with him?

There's been a bunch of he said, she said but the bottom line is that the guy has a contract that he should play out. He's looking at getting another guaranteed (i.e., signing bonus) big pay day before his age/play are such that he won't command as much.

I'm on the side of mgmt on this one.
  6. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Yes, I would like to know what "promise" management broke as well.
  7. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Fact is Ty Approached Pats to help them with Cap figure if need be, extend deal. Ty said BB had told him he could get his final two years or so "guaranteed" in Bonus, extend deal and free up Cap for Pats.

Per Ty - Bill later no longer talked to him and deferred to Pioli. Pats then offered up a $6M bonus offer, in what amounted to a flat out paycut. Ty and Postens countered with an offer. Pioli then said talks off and no further negotiations would be considered.

There is more to this than you are reading 3 months later in NATIONAL press.
    This is personal - at this point.
  8. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Law, Pats off on contract talks, his future
    By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
    At one point during his "old-school" contract negotiations recently with New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick — face-to-face, without the presence of his agent — Ty Law pulled out his checkbook.

Ty Law was so determined to end his relationship with the Patriots that he was willing to buy out his contract ... himself.
    By Jim Rogash, AP

Law, arguably the NFL's best cornerback, was so frustrated with the Patriots' position as he sat in the office, so determined to end his relationship with the team he's played nine seasons for, that he offered to buy out his contract.

How much was he willing to pay?

"Whatever the prorated signing bonus is for the last two years of the contract," Law, alluding to a figure that would calculate to more than $4 million, told USA TODAY during a phone interview this week. "I said, 'I'll write you a check. That's how bad I want to go."

Belichick declined the offer.

"Hey, I'm not the bad guy," Law continued. "I was willing to work with the team. Then, all of a sudden, they cut it off."

Law, whose sterling, three-interception performance in the AFC title game helped propel New England to its second Super Bowl crown in three years, has two years remaining on the $51 million contract he signed in 1999, which included a then-record $14.2 million bonus. He's due a $6.15 million salary for 2004, and for reporting to training camp in July he'll collect a $1 million bonus. He insists that he won't hold out.

Yet the sides can't agree on a contract extension. Law called a four-year, $26 million offer from the Patriots an "insult." And seeing the market for cornerbacks exploding with new deals, he doesn't want to wait until next year.

NFL executives and agents not connected to Law say that the cornerback market has been bullish because of the premium on the position in a pass-dominated game, a weak draft crop and the coincidence that several top cornerbacks became free agents or franchised players this offseason.

Cornering the market
    Player Team Contract Bonus Average*
    Champ Bailey Denver 7 years, $63M $18M $9M
    Chris McAlister Baltimore 1 year, $7.15M** $7.15M
    Charles Woodson Oakland 1 year, $6.8M** $6.8M
    Antoine Winfield Minnesota 6 years, $34.8M $10.8M+ $5.8M
    Ahmed Plummer San Francisco 5 years, $26M $11M $5.2M
    Shawn Springs Washington 6 years, $30M $10M $5M
    Fernando Bryant Detroit 6 years, $24M $7.25M $4M
    Jason Webster Atlanta 6 years, $18M $7M $3M
    Troy Vincent Buffalo 6 years, $20M $3.6M $3.3M
    David Macklin Arizona 3 years, $7.8M $1.8M $2.6M
    Jerametrius Butler St. Louis 6 years, $15M*** $4M $2.5M
    * annual average of salaries and bonuses in total package
    ** due as "franchise player" tender; subject to developments
    *** restricted free agent offer matched
    + payable as 2004 roster bonus
    — Compiled by Jarrett Bell

"My leverage won't get better than it is now," said Law, whom former all-pro Deion Sanders has called the best "big-game" cornerback. "He's using my age against me now. Next year I'll be 31."

Law, who turned 30 on Feb. 10, was team-oriented and composed in deflecting questions about his future in light of his contract status during the Super Bowl run. Now he's blowing a virtual gasket, steamed that Belichick has decided to ride with Law's $10 million cap figure this season — but won't guarantee that he won't be cut next offseason, with a $12.5 million cap number looming in 2005.

Belichick was unavailable for comment.

"He cannot commit to me for more than one year," Law said. "To let me hang for a year, do I deserve to be a sitting duck? If that's all he can commit to, I'd rather move on."

Since his desire to leave the Patriots was first revealed last weekend by The Boston Globe, Law's image has taken a beating — locally and even nationally on sports talk shows — as often occurs when pro athletes discuss finances publicly.

"Now they're calling me greedy," he said. "How am I greedy? All I want is fair market value. I don't have to be the highest-paid cornerback. This is not an ego thing. All I need is stability and commitment.

"They said it's all about money," Law added. "Well, it's not. The money is all relative. But after what happened, there's no amount of money the Patriots can offer me now that will want me to sign a new deal with them."

Law points to several instances that turned the negotiations sour. He charges that Belichick lied to him in contending the team didn't do long-term deals, only to back off the statement, Law says, when he pointed out Rodney Harrison's six-year contract, Tyrone Poole's five-year deal and the 10-year contract that former quarterback Drew Bledsoe received before being traded to Buffalo.

Also, when Law's agent, Carl Poston, submitted a counteroffer with numbers similar to Bailey's deal, Patriots vice president Scott Pioli reportedly rejected it with this response: "Save the paper."

Poston calls Law an "astute" client who digs into the details of his deals. Law says his agent tried to prepare him for the pitfalls of negotiating on his own behalf but thought that his upfront approach could make a difference.

Not quite. Law has emerged from the talks calling his coach a liar and a hypocrite — "I forgot to ask him about the contract that he fought to break when he didn't want to coach the Jets after (Bill) Parcells left," Law said — and slinging other emotional buzzwords such as decency and respect.

What next? Law realizes that he's stuck — for now. The Patriots have expressed no intentions of letting him go this year.

"All I can do now," Law said, "is express my displeasure."
  9. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tom E. Curran: Law taking his game way out of bounds

10:00 AM EST on Friday, March 19, 2004

Journal file photo
    Ty Law continues his verbal assault on the Patriots and coach Bill Belichick in an apparent attempt to rile the team into releasing him.
    The Ty Law "Hungry Man Tour" continues.

And each time he opens his mouth to a hand-picked cadre of sympathetic chroniclers, the words get more venomous.

Giving new meaning to the term "press corner," Law hit the national airwaves on Sporting News Radio yesterday. While there, the cornerback who's put the grunt in disgruntled said of Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, "I guess you get paid to lie sometimes, because that's how he supports his family."

Even for a man such as Belichick, who's notoriously slow to rise to the bait, Law is getting harder to ignore. At what point does the organization go from slow burn to boil over Law's over-the-line words?

What's going on between Law and the Patriots is virtually unprecedented in these parts. It's a full-frontal assault in a transparent effort to force the Patriots to release him. Law obviously figures that if he can get the Patriots to fire him, he can then grab some open-market money while teams are still throwing it around.

So dignity be damned, the 30-year-old, four-time Pro Bowl player sees nothing wrong with libeling a man he openly lobbied the Krafts to hire in 2000.

Law has called Belichick a liar in so many different forums now, it may already be forgotten what the lie allegedly is. For fun, let's review. In Law's initial salvo in The Boston Globe two weeks ago, he said the Patriots agreed to negotiate with him for a new contract. He found the offer the Patriots made insulting. His agent came back with a new offer that the Patriots quickly dismissed. The Patriots then pushed away from the table and told Law they were content to let him play for his 2004 salary of $7 million.

So he was lied to because he didn't like what he heard? Law's definition of a lie is as deficient as his definition of insulting.

Then again, logic apparently is on holiday for Law.

Further evidence? Here is an exchange between Law and Sporting News Radio host James Brown during the big radio show:

"After our Super Bowl run (in 2001), Tom Brady was going through his whole contract thing (before the 2002 season). It was beginning to become a major distraction through our championship. This was the first Super Bowl. So I, myself, without anybody asking me, without anyone contacting my agent, I went to coach Belichick myself. After one of the practices I told coach if he needed some help, I understand that I have a high cap number, one of the higher cap numbers on the team. In order to put this under the table, I said, 'I know you guys are working to get Tom Brady done and a couple of other guys; I will rework some of my numbers for you, no problem. As long as I'm making my money that I am supposed to make this year, then go ahead and rework some of these numbers so you can get these guys done and we can defend our championship.' "

Interjecting here just to clarify, Ty Law -- great philanthropist -- was so selfless he allowed the Patriots to turn some of his salary from 2002 (nonguaranteed money) into guaranteed money. It's basically allowing the Patriots to put money in Law's back pocket instead of his front pocket. It's laughable. He's trying to make a point of showing he's not a greedy money-grubber, and in doing so he drops in the phrase, "As long as I'm making my money that I am supposed to make this year."

Somehow, Brown found this to be akin to funding a new library.

This was his follow-up question: "Wait a minute, you went to them and offered to rework your deal so they could sign Tom Brady and others?"

"Right. I went to him (Belichick)," Law continued. "He didn't come to me. I offered my contract, my money, to help the team. People don't hear about that. After all that went on, we talked a little bit and he said we are going to try to work on it. Then he came to me during the Pittsburgh game that week. He tapped me on the shoulder at breakfast and said, 'I need to take you up on that offer.' So, I said, 'Fine, no problem.' I can't remember if Tom was done at the time or what, but he needed to work the numbers to get some guys signed. That's when I reworked $2.7 million of my salary. I reworked it and I played with it. I didn't say, 'Give it to me now,' like a lot of guys do. . . . I did that and he took me up on that. Nothing else was ever said about that, but now I am a selfish player. That was strictly for the team, but now it's come down to me being able to protect myself."

Law has now unloaded locally, in USA Today and on national radio. It probably won't be long now before Tom Arnold and Ty are having a meeting of the minds on national talk TV.

The Patriots have shown in the past they have a cast-iron stomach when it comes to this stuff. They tolerated Terry Glenn until they got a fourth-round pick for him from Green Bay. But Law's flapping his gums a lot more than Glenn ever did. And it's only March. The tour is just getting warmed up. And the Patriots are still on a low simmer.
  10. Reef Engineer

Reef Engineer New Member

810 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting all the links and cementing my postion that the Patsies are in the right.

The guy has a contract yet is trying to cash in this year - where he stands to make more money - than play out the contract and test the waters next year (if released) or the year after. The guy has a contract and the Patsies have no obligation whatsoever to give him a better deal simply because he wants one. They don't have to offer him one nickel more than his current contract. If that's lowballing, more power to them.

He wants a new contract and they say no - if that's breaking a promise, more power to them as well.

The more he whines that it's not about the money, the more Pat Tillman turns in his grave. There's a guy that's not about the money.
  11. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    For those who want to trade for Law this year and give up a high draft pick, I think that would be a silly decision for the FO to make. Law will not be playing for the Pats in 2005 with a $12M salary. He will be released before the start of the 2005 season. At that point in time, he will be on the open market and we would have to come to terms with him on a new contract which we would have to do even if we traded for him now.

We realistically aren't going to be contenders this year but we may be next year. I say let's see what Hunter/Thornton/Powell have to offer this year. If none of them pans out, we can get into the Law sweepstakes next year when we should have more cap space and will be more serious contenders. We will also still have our two 1st rounders and one 2nd rounder.

In all honesty, I think the Pats are in a bind. They are contenders but their chances of repeating would be much lower without their shutdown CB. But are his on-field contributions going to be enough considering all the off-field distractions he will generate? He will bring new meaning to the term "team cancer" if this continues.