1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pouncey the main attraction at busy Florida pro day

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Doomsday101, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- There was one thing that stood out at Florida's pro day Tuesday: "Team Pouncey" T-shirts were everywhere.

They were on the field and in the stands. They were on former and current players. They were on friends and family members.

At one point, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick found himself surrounded by a dozen people wearing the black shirts that had "Team Pouncey" printed on the front and "2 Of A Kind" on the back.

Despite the extra attention, Mike Pouncey didn't need help separating himself from the pack. Pouncey was the main attraction at Florida's pro day.

The 6-foot-4, 310-pound guard/center had scouts, general managers and coaches watching his every move. They broke down his stance, put him through blocking drills, scrutinized his snaps, talked about his personal life and tested his football IQ.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...n-at-busy-florida-pro-day?module=HP_headlines
  2. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,529 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Question: can he be as good as his brother?
  3. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    At guard yes I think he can be a very good player. Center not so much I don't think I have seen as many bad snap from a center as I did from Pouncey this past season and it hurt Florida in some big games
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,274 Messages
    1,219 Likes Received
    Not at center, but he could be a very good guard.
  5. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,119 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Not to mention he has some more versatility than his brother. He has played 4 different positions. Decent C and RT, very good guard.
  6. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I did not see anything decent about his play at center and watched several Florida game. I do like him at Guard
  7. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,119 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    His shotgun snaps were shaky at best during the first part of the season. He improved quite a bit down the stretch.
  8. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    He did improve but they were still forcing the QB to move to get them. from where he started the season putting them on the ground or over the QB head any improvement was quite a bit but still shaky at best. in 09 season he played Gaurd and I was very impressed with his play. I just think if your having that much trouble at center on the college level it is not going to get better at the pro level where the guy over you is much better than he has seen.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    If we took him I am sure it would be for OG and if we eventually move him to C he would have had time to work on those issues.

Not saying he did a good, great or even decent job as center in college but I think he has room to improve. At the very least we could play him at OG and I think he would do well.

I have to wonder if the steelers are thinking about drafting him, that would be a nice combo for them with one at C and one at OG. Although I think if they go Oline they would be more likely to look at OT instead OG.
  10. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Granted you draft him at OG and see what you can do to help him as a C but at this stage I don't see him playing C for a good while if ever. As for him being a possible pick in Dallas I think only happens if Dallas chooses not to bring Kosier back who if not mistakes is a FA
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Oh I don't think we take him anyway.

Not unless we trade down and then back into the first.

I think this guy does not make it out of the first round. I think some team takes him in the 20-32 range.
  12. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    True that is where he is expected to fall but then the draft never seems to fall as we expect.
  13. acer941

acer941 Member

267 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    The Gators had injuries all throught their O-Line in the Pre-Season of last year so Pouncey was switched from Center - Guard - Tackle - Guard then back to Center a week before the Season started. So i wouldn't pin all the snapping problems on him not being able to do it just the lack of having practice time to work on it.
  14. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    All I can say is he has to prove it and fact is he did not do well at it last season for what ever reason. I love him at Guard but that was the worst play from center I have ever seen. So until I see other wise I have to go by what I saw during this past season.
  15. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, maybe he can learn snapping from Gurode; he seems to have got snapping down to a science after 8-9 years in the league. :rolleyes:
  16. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Gurode looks great compared to what I saw out of Pouncey and as much grief as Gurode takes (some of it deserved) he is still a good center
  17. acer941

acer941 Member

267 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    In the first 3 games his snaps were attrocious, But he did fix it as the season went on and he had time to practice at it.

I think he will be a All-Pro Guard in year or two. He has Crazy Athleticism, I remember in almost every florida game last year they had a play were he Pulled all the way from Center out to the Sideline to block for a RB.
  18. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    As I said they improved but they were not good though out the season the QB was still having to reach out to the side on many of them even late in the year. I like him I just don't like him at center. At Guard I thought he was outstanding in 09.
  19. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,818 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    I bet he doesn't make it past Pittsburgh if he falls that far.