1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Powell: GOP 'polarization' backfired in election

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 12, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,374 Messages
    4,321 Likes Received
    Posted: 07:01 PM ET

Powell says the GOP tried to use 'polarization for political advantage.'
    (CNN) — The Republican party must stop "shouting at the world" and start listening to minority groups if it is to win elections in the 21st century, former Secretary of State Colin Powell said Thursday.

In an interview with CNN's Fareed Zakaria for Sunday's "GPS" program, President Bush's former secretary of state said his party's attempt "to use polarization for political advantage" backfired last month.

"I think the party has to take a hard look at itself," Powell said in the interview, which was taped Wednesday. "There is nothing wrong with being conservative. There is nothing wrong with having socially conservative views — I don't object to that. But if the party wants to have a future in this country, it has to face some realities. In another 20 years, the majority in this country will be the minority."

Powell, who crossed party lines and endorsed President-elect Barack Obama just weeks before the election, said the GOP must see what is in the "hearts and minds" of African-American, Hispanic and Asian voters "and not just try to influence them by… the principles and dogma."

"I think the party has to stop shouting at the world and at the country,"Powell said. "I think that the party has to take a hard look at itself, and I've talked to a number of leaders in recent weeks and they understand that." Powell, who says he still considers himself a Republican, said his party should also stop listening to conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh.

"Can we continue to listen to Rush Limbaugh?" Powell asked. "Is this really the kind of party that we want to be when these kinds of spokespersons seem to appeal to our lesser instincts rather than our better instincts?"

Zakaria's full interview with Powell will air Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on CNN.

Filed under: Colin Powell

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/12/11/powell-gop-polarization-backfired-in-election/
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    I have a great deal of respect for General Powell. However, he's cast his lot. He is now more closely affiliated with the Democratic party. I think that the Republican Party needs to do what they are doing. If you want to call it shouting at the world, so be it. They need to get back to what the party stands for. They don't need to move closer to the left or the center. All that does is make them more like the Democratic party. Why vote Democrat light if you can just vote Democrat? The Republican Party needs to get back to historic Republican principles IMO. If we lose on that, then we lose. However, there is no future in trying to become the Demorepub party. Offer a clear choice and let the people decide.
  3. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I also find it amusing that in McCain we had PRECISELY the kind of middle-of-the-road, wishy-washy moderate Republican Powell *claims* the GOP should gravitate towards in order to win elections. So he went out and endorsed the other guy, and the wishy-washy lost.

This whole "the GOP needs to move toward the left" or "middle" nonsense is always put forth by those who have no intention of voting GOP anyway. It's nothing more than a translation of "stop talking about what you believe in so you can stop winning elections". They merely want the GOP to become a permanent 2nd-string party. And yes, this even includes those who wear the title "republican" for elections in their states but run to the left every chance they can get. They never call on the Dems to come back to the middle or right... Jefferson, Truman, et. al. would be pilloried as hard-core, extremist, racist, sexist, bigoted ultra-conservatives by today's standards. They'd receive the complete "Palin treatment" by the establishment Dems. Even FDR would be, in regards to his foreign policy (not so much domestic). So who really moved?

Nice.:cool:
  4. canters

canters Active Member

1,786 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Pwell is a fine advisor on national secirity matters. I rest better knowing Barry has him as an advisor.

That being said, Powell was looking for a reason to endorse Barry and spank the GOP. I suspect he harbors ill feelings for the GOP in regards to how he was treated by Cheney and Rummy re: Iraq.

And we cannot underestimate race as an issue. Anyone watching him choke up and get emotional talking about the election of Barry cannot doubt this. Would he have done so if a white endorsee had won? Doubt it.

Powell is a Rockerfeller Republican. That is all he is.
  5. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Powell gets it. It's too bad Dittoheads will probably continue going down the same road of bitterness and denial. They are not part of the solution, they are part of the problem. Bravo, Sir Powell!!
  6. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received

Dittohead? First time I've been called that.

:laugh2:
  7. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wasn't addressing your comments specifically. Only you would know if you follow Rush Limbaugh's doctrine. If you don't, great. If you do, then seek help at once!!
  8. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received

I listen to Rush on occasion. To be honest, I like O'Reilly better.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,112 Likes Received
    I like Powell but lets don't kid ourself the Dems are no different when it comes to polarization. Dems are for womens rights unless that woman does not share their view they are for minorities unless they do not share the same views. He talks about Rush how about the garbage that comes from the liberal media. Only thing that has changed is the Dems are now in charge but this additude of unity because now the Dems are in control is a joke.
  10. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, we've all heard the accusations of hypocrisy a thousand times already. But playing this game of tit for tat with the right-wingnuts only enables those afflicted with this mental disorder, so I'm not going to do that. All we can do now is learn to forgive and forget about the past and move forward. It is time for this country to unite.
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Hell hath no fury ... :laugh2:
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,722 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Says VC as he reaches into all of our wallets smiling and confiscates our income.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received

With all due respect, it's been time for the country to unite. Are you ready to unite behind President Bush?
  14. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    This is probably the truest statement that will be made on this board all day. :laugh2:

How are you Sas?
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,112 Likes Received
    I hope Obama governs from the center and that he does a good job but please you and some other dems around here act like well lets all get along and go along yet this was not what you were saying over the last 8 years but somehow you expect that conservatives should just take the high road that you guys were unable to take? Blaming Bush at every turn members of the dem party going after Bush for impeachment and talk by some that they will pursue Bush after Jan? Obama president does not mean this country is undivided conservatives still hold the same values they have always held and will continue to hold.
  16. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Hanging in there, ABQ. I see you're at the center of controversy as usual. ;)
  17. ABQCOWBOY

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Yeah, but it aint the same with out you here Sas.

:laugh2:
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,437 Messages
    3,677 Likes Received
    The country DID unite behind bush right after 9/11 and his famous speech at the tower rubble. His approval ratings at that time were higher than ever, maybe the highest of any president.

He had it, he lost it.

Furthermore Powell was not claiming for the republican party to move left of center or even middle of the road in that article...too bad people don't realize that if you don't keep going hard right in social areas and the manner in which talk radio acts...people don't tend to like it unless they are already that far over to begin with . There IS a difference between moving left of center, going middle of the road and being hard core far right.
  19. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He lost it because the show of "unity" was a farce from the left, both in the hard-left Dems and the media. The criticism of Bush started before the Afghan invasion. Once the ankle-biting started, it blew up to to a crecendo and lever stopped...
  20. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,437 Messages
    3,677 Likes Received
    He could fart the star spangled banner and give you a million dollars in a show of charity...and you would still find something to complain about him because he is knocking the GOP.

Sadly the person you have to blame and be mad at is not Powell...it is W, Cheney and Rummy for getting the GOP in such a state of mess.

If they had treated Powell with a little more professional respect in his job, and CONDI for that matter, and if they had not screwed up so much...they would not be in the position they find themselves in now.

So he is right...the GOP better start doing some readjusting and reevaluating of their party....just as almost every other GOP member has said already, or they will be hurting.

But we know...Powell is just a liberal to some of you and in the end that type of attitude and mentality is the same thing that screwed up the party and if it continues the party will be in the same boat with no oars going up a stinky body of water.