1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pre-Combine Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheFinisher, Feb 21, 2013.

1. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,364 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Round 1: D.J. Fluker | OT | Alabama

[IMG]

I know many of you are liking the idea of Fluker at Guard but I still view him as a very good RT prospect who will help reignite our running game Day 1. While he's not someone you'd leave on an island against a DE all game, there's still value in a power Tackle who can physically dominate at the point of attack... something we haven't had in a long time. Plus, having the luxury of Tyron Smith to man the left side with Parnell as your swing we won't be calling upon Fluker to protect Tony's blind side. Sometimes you get big guys, sometimes you get nasty guys... but Fluker is the rare case of both who looks forward to taking your manhood. This team can use some of that.

Round 2: Barrett Jones | C | Alabama

[IMG]

Not the physical specimen of his Bama counterparts, Jones still shares that passion of beating down a defense play in and play out. His best asset is his versatility, and being able to play multiple positions along a unit like the offensive line brings great value to a team and versatility is something Jerry loves in prospects. Extremely intelligent and consistent, Jones projects as a long term starter at the next level and would be a much welcomed addition to the interior. Reuniting him with Fluker can hopefully upstart a culture change to our line, bringing some of that Alabama swag with them.

Round 3: Bennie Logan | DT | LSU

[IMG]

Logan received hype last year flashing some impressive physical tools for a young player. He had somewhat of a disappointing Junior campaign in that he didn't put up the stat-line that many were predicting but he still has an intriguing raw skill set and I'd bet money on him turning into a beast under the tutelage of Marinelli. He played mostly as the 1-Tech for LSU this past season but belongs over a Guard playing up the field where his combination of quickness and power can create havoc.

Round 4: Jelani Jenkins | LB | Florida

[IMG]

His ability says he should go higher but his injury history will be what drops him... sound familiar? One of the more explosive linebackers in this draft with premier sideline to sideline speed, I view him as a bargain at this point and he should challenge for a starting job early on. Also plays with a killer instinct and is a fearless competitor.

Round 5: Nickell Robey | CB | USC

[youtube]JsLBxb-jJuI[/youtube]

He's been a steady pick for me late in the draft because despite his lack of size the kid can flat out ball. Bringing in his former Coordinator only furthers my belief that he's someone we'll keep an eye on in the middle rounds. He has a great understanding of how to play underneath zones and bait QBs into throws, would make for a great addition in our Nickel or Dime sets. Also loves to stick his nose in there and lay the wood, plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Round 6: Mike James | RB | Miami

[youtube]N7FDZmGvXzQ[/youtube]

There might be more talented runners still left on the board, but James is a jack of all trades type of back who is one of the better pass catchers and blockers in his class. A patient north-south back who runs with determination and has been a leader in Miami's lockerroom during a rough stretch for the program. Right kind of guy, seems like someone Garrett would take a flier on in the late rounds and is someone I can see becoming a better pro than expected.
  2. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,118 Messages
    1,004 Likes Received
    I'd hope to trade down a few spots and grab Fluker plus get another lower mid round pick. Say a low 4th or high 5th.

But I actually like the selections. New ideas but a pretty solid plan IMHO.

Mike James at RB is a real sleeper to me.
    I feel Barrett Jones is a r3 guy but his versatility and ability to play day 1 hold real value in Dallas. Especially if we aren't bringing Costa back.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,654 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    Excellent draft. Love it.

I'm not Jones' biggest fan, but he's better than what we have. Fluker's my favourite draft target right now. Try him at RT, if he's too slow, move him to guard and he'll dominate.Especially like the James pick too.
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,458 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    CB is locked up

Carr
    Claiborne
    Scandrick
    Moore
    Agnew
    Underwood

All under contract too. I think Dallas needs to put resources into other spots. CB is fine. And people who watched USC football know Robey was the weak link in USC secondary, couldnt keep up with WRs and his size is a big problem
  5. TheFinisher

2,364 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    True but NY and Chicago are OT needy teams that are picking right after us. Trading down is a bit of a gamble, and an extra 4th isn't really worth missing out on the guy you're targeting in the 1st IMO. Draft values kind of get blurred together at that point in the first round anyway, I wouldn't get too hung up on whether we took him at 18 vs 24 or so.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,139 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    I'm not a fan of Fluker at OT. I'm not sure that he would be the best choice at OG either due to Callahan's ZBS.

B. Jones could fall to the 3rd round with after the Lis Franc injury/surgery. I would prefer Frederick or Holmes at Center.
  7. TheFinisher

2,364 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    That's kinda how I feel about Fluker too. I think he can be a good RT but if for some reason he can't handle it let him slide inside and maul people. Can't go wrong.
  8. TheFinisher

2,364 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    I very much disagree with you on Robey, he has been a playmaker for SC the past few years and a leader on that team.

And CB is one position that you can never have enough good players, we've seen injury decimate us at the position before. We have 3 quality players under contract; Moore, Agnew and Underwood are just bodies. Robey would round out the unit with 4 good players who could step in anytime in case of injury. Would be a pretty safe bet for a 5th Round pick, which are usually a roll of the dice anyway.
  9. TheFinisher

2,364 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    That's ok, I know Fluker at Tackle is an active debate but I'm part of the half that thinks he can fit there.

Jones might fall to the 3rd, might not. I chose to be a little more conservative with my picks but that'd be great if we can get him in Round 3.

Why do you like Frederick for the ZBS but dislike Fluker at Guard for it? Frederick is not heralded for his movement skills either. If anything they share very similar characteristics as interior blockers on the move.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,139 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    Frederick is not my favorite for the ZBS, but now that he has dropped from his college weight of 338 to 312 at the combine, I expect his quickness to be drastically improved.

Fluker dropped from 355 at the Senior Bowl to 339 at the combine; however, at 6'4-7/8", that is really heavy to play OT.
  11. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,458 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    I like what Kiffin said to basically shut reporters up about the whole scheme talk. It doesnt matter you put 11 players on the field and if they play together they will be successful. Not 9 not 12 but 11 players