1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Pre-Season 2012 NFL Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by DFlo, Oct 6, 2011.

1. DFlo

DFlo New Member

27 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey guys, I've updated my mock draft to reflect the standings so far

You can check it out here: 2012 NFL Mock Draft

I fixed some of the backgrounds to make the text more readable. Let me know if you can't read any.

As well I would love to hear your feedback!
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    not high on the Cowboys pick, rather have Minnifield and you have Kuechly going way to late. I would take him too.
  3. DFlo

DFlo New Member

27 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry the Title should read ' New 2012 NFL Mock Draft'

Regarding the pick, I really think Crick is undervalued right now and I had a hard time slotting him anywhere earlier than the Cowboys, so by default he went to the Cowboys.

Kuechly would have to be an ILB at Dallas, where they have Sean Lee and Bruce Carter who you guys just recently drafted, so I'm not sure they would want to replace one of these guys just yet. I do agree that I have him going too late though.

Minnifield was my next choice for the Cowboys at this pick BTW. Thanks for the comment
  4. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    yeah no problem, Kuechly is such a great player, I don't see him going 25th. If Carter comes out and shows some flashes then I don't see Dallas drafting him either. Minnifield would be my pick if that was the first round and Konz or DeCastro didn't come out.
  5. DFlo

DFlo New Member

27 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You think they Cowboys would be in the market for an OG in the first? With all the youth they have on the OL?
  6. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Yes I would hope so. They need a starter. Nagy sucks and Arkin isn't ready to play. Need someone to replace Koiset sooner or later. DeCastro would be day one ready and you can still groom Nagy or Arkin to replace Koiser.
  7. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,668 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Nagy is one of the top rated LG's in the league right now in terms of pass protection. Sure, his run blocking needs work, but I think a year with Woiczik will really help. And yes, Tyron has looked great so far, but most rookies, even high picks, need a year.

That said, if they're able to get one of the players you mentioned, I have no problem with it, if for nothing else, we need to replace Kozier, and get depth (Arkin and Kowalski look promising, but it's hard to tell at this point). I just think CB and DE are bigger needs, and the value should be there, at least for CB.
  8. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,556 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    You have the lions winning the superbowl?
  9. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    CB is a big need yes, but you don't know what CB will be there.

Nagy run blocking sucks, we need a future replacement for Koiser, Nagy or Arkin will turn into a starter but saying both will is a stretch. I would be better off get a Center to replace Costa. Kowalski looks as promising as Costa did or Proctor or any other back up OL that was a late draft pick or undrafted. People said the same thing about Protcor, Travis Bright, and Sam Young.

I think Koiser will be back next year, get OG early and a Center two, both that can play early. DeCasstro is just to good to pass up when you have a shaky not sure OL. Same with Konz.

Just say what if all the top CBs are gone Konz is there, then take him. Then round 2 or 3 get a OG. If Nagy or Arkin gets strength and becomes a starter then great, yuou have a future replacement for Koiser or you can go ahead and replace Koiser, if not you have a good OG ready to go.

I don't understand why people don't want to draft OG or a C early. All the great OL in the NFL today have at the latest 3rd round picks all along the OL.
    More and more OGs and Cs are going 1st round. If I can get a day one 10 year starter Center or OG in the 1st then I will do it. If I can get a Pouncey, Mangold, Iupati, or a Mankins, then I am doing it.

As for DE, I say sign Calasis Campbell who will be a FA. This guy would be a beast of DE under Ryan.Only FA thats on another team that I would want.
    Michael Griffin would be nice but Sensy and Elam are doing a good job. Maat Forte would also be nice but behind this OL, no RB is worth the money he would want.
  10. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Couldn't agree more about drafting OL. I think it's high time this team make it a priority. Having said that, I also believe in drafting the best player on the board with an eye toward need. In this case, trading down a few spots would be ideal. But failing that, I don't see how we can't take a corner.

I'd like to see how the youngsters develop over the season before deciding to draft an interior OL on the first or second day, but if it becomes apparent that the need is there, I absolutely LOVE Zeitler in the second or after a trade-up in the early third. Talk about an NFL-ready guard.

DFlo: Minnifield plays some zone, but he also ends up in a ton of man. I know you didn't do this exactly, but I wouldn't pigeonhole him as a "zone corner."

Crick may be BPA at that point, and the team will be needing to look at DL, for sure, but I absolutely HATE drafting 3-4 DE in the first round. Just a pet peeve, I guess.
  11. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I agree, I like Minnifield over Crick. Crick isn't having a first round year right now. I'm all about drafting the best player for the needs the team have.
    If there is a top shut down CB and he is higher on the board then I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't take the top OGs and Cs off the board because we have Nagy, Costa, and Arkin.
  12. VACowboy

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    The nice thing is, Jerry, Jason and company don't have to make that decision today. They'll know a heck of a lot more about our guys before they have to pull the trigger. But if Nagy/Costa/Arkin are playing well, there's no way I select a center or guard in the first round.
  13. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree on the OL. We have all the skill players we need. Romo has never played behind anything but a mediocre OL. Give him a top 5 OL and watch out. If anything I over-draft there. Give Konz 1 and Zeitler 3. Or the Stanford OG and Webster.
  14. VACowboy

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I've never thought about it that way. I'm actually huge on the the notion that building a dominant OL should be priority #1. Now I have to rethink stuff a bit.

:confused:
  15. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    I agree, if your going to over draft then do it on the OL,DL and secondary. You can never have to many of those positions.
    We don't need any more WRs, OLBs, RBs, or TEs. Only way you draft one of these positions is if they are the next big great player.
  16. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1) Konz C

2) Boykins CB

3) Zeitler G

or

1) DeCastro G

2) Webster C

3) CB

Then we have competion on the OL and experienced depth.
  17. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Crick not only is having a down year, but he may be having some concussion problems. He suffered a concussion about a month ago, and I am pretty certain he suffered another one last night.
  18. VACowboy

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Oooooooooooooooor...

1) Claiborne/Minnifield CB
    2) Zeitler G
    3) Ben Jones C

Keep an eye on guard Brandon Washington, Miami, in the late third, early fourth or so.
  19. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,668 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    I never said I didn't want to draft a G/C early. If a guy like Konz or DeCastro is there, take him if you feel he's the best player to take. But I do have a little more faith in the guys we have (especially with an offseason with the coaches). If you read the scouting reports on Nagy, his footwork and technique are there, but his strength isn't. A year with a coach like Woiczik can do wonders for that. Same with Arkin. And it's dangerous to say that any player at the college level would be a day one starter - or a good one at least - in the pros. But that doesn't mean you don't take one.

And I also feel it's important to build from the inside out. And I do feel that CB will be a bigger need come next Spring. Now, that doesn't mean we take one, because like you said, you never know what will be. Of course, you could the same thing about OL. But there are about 6-7 CB's that are projected (at least right now) to go in the first round. JMHO.
  20. DFlo

DFlo New Member

27 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for the comments/feedback guys!

Fwiw, my second option for the Cowboys would have been Minnifield.

Anyways, just as an FYI, I'm going to be updating this mock draft every 4 weeks. Hope you guys enjoyed this one!