1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Preliminary contract talks w/Spencer begin

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheSport78, Jan 13, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,726 Messages
    3,470 Likes Received
    He can probably play the position; however, I would be concerned giving him a big contract or Franchising him at 10M to do it.

I thought Spencer was a must-retain in the Rob Ryan defense because they just didn't have anybody else that was a 3-tool player (i.e. run defense, pass-rush and coverage). The Kiffin SDE just needs to be a 2-tool player (i.e. run defense and pass-rush).

I do think that Spencer is a very good player and has been very underrated since he's been with the Cowboys.
  2. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,748 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    I disagree. He has steadily improved in the pass rushing department the last several years and has shown himself to be much better than average. Perhaps Rat and Hatch can generate good pressure in the middle or maybe not but two bookends plus rushers on the line go a long way towards making our defense elite.

A replacement whoever it may be might be serviceable but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Teams always pick top rushers high and by 18 I expect it to be thin.

Teams like the Colts and Steelers follow this model and are successful and I think emulating consistent success is a good thing.
  3. Jay

Jay Active Member

1,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ... Which is why they are in preliminary talks. What part of preliminary talks means they are guaranteed to sign him?
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,288 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received

Without Romo, it really doesnt matter who we have on defense......3 wins max.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,694 Messages
    3,187 Likes Received
    You really believe that?
  6. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    You...might be cherry-picking here.
  7. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I love Spencer as a player, but I think we could franchise him, let somebody else tender him and draft his replacement. I am not at all for signing a player to a huge contract if the resources spent could've gone to player(s) that can help us more.
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,318 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    Jerry likes to give new coordinators gifts; I would not be surprised if we sign Spencer. Lord knows, Jerry fixed the OL last year, so no worries there.:)
  9. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,318 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    This:starspin
  10. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Not at all.
  11. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Oh, that's pretty funny. Thanks.
  12. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

804 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I think we'll play him as solb in base and de in nickel.
  13. Typhus

Typhus aka...golden

976 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    The Cap is enigmatic... space can be generated by any team any time.