1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Premature draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Sasquatch, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I've based these selections on rankings from a smattering of websites and perceived needs.

1 Eric Reid, S, LSU. Dynamic playmaker in the secondary to complement our young DB corps.

2 Dallas Thomas, OL, Tennessee. I see him as being able to play OG or RT depending on what he shows in camp. Gives us an injection of athleticism and talent on the OL.

3 Kahled Holmes, C, USC. It would be nice if Costa, Cook, or Killer were the long-term solution at center but that possibility won’t prevent me from drafting one of the top ranked prospects in the third round to improve the likelihood of getting that position right this year.

4 Cornelius Carradine, DE. We seem to be willing to take a chance on highly touted but injured players. It Carradine lasts this long, I think it would be a worthwhile risk to take as he would be a solid addition to our front 7 once he becomes healthy.

5 Malliciah Goodman, DE, Clemson. Probably go a round earlier, but is a typical 3-4 DE prospect.

6 Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois. Always take a flyer on an athletic corner in the late rounds for depth and ST.
  2. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

956 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Just my opinion but I would take out your first round pick love the rest and choose BPA on Oline or Dline with our number one.

Nice job.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,544 Messages
    4,128 Likes Received
    Love #2 though #6, but hate #1.

I don't think Reid is even the best Safety in this draft. If you're going to take a safety in the 1st, might as well trade down and get another 2nd or 3rd round pick.
  4. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,382 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Interesting grab with Reid, because I read on WalterFootball the other day that Dallas has shown interest in him.

On the flip side, Reid was also slated as Dallas's second round pick in the draft.

Too early to really tell about draft slots this far from the combine, but the blurb about Dallas's interest was noteworthy.
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    What dn't you like about Reid? He has elite physical tools and played at a consistently high level against top notch competition.

It's too early to haggle about rankings, but over the past few years it seems that the top safety prospects rise as the draft approaches. Of course, this is merely my impression, and I have no facts to back up that claim.
  6. xwalker

11,544 Messages
    4,128 Likes Received
    I don't dislike Reid per se. I just think there will be better players at #18.

I would like Reid much better in the 2nd round.
  7. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think Reid is every bit the prospect that Barron was.
  8. patrickstillhere

patrickstillhere Member

67 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've based these selections on rankings from a smattering of websites and perceived needs.

1 Eric Reid, S, LSU. Dynamic playmaker in the secondary to complement our young DB corps. Love him, but the only player (S) I would take in the 1st round is Vaccaro.

2 Dallas Thomas, OL, Tennessee. I see him as being able to play OG or RT depending on what he shows in camp. Gives us an injection of athleticism and talent on the OL.Like this pick, but he won't be on the board at 2/17

3 Kahled Holmes, C, USC. It would be nice if Costa, Cook, or Killer were the long-term solution at center but that possibility won’t prevent me from drafting one of the top ranked prospects in the third round to improve the likelihood of getting that position right this year. Good pick.

4 Cornelius Carradine, DE. We seem to be willing to take a chance on highly touted but injured players. It Carradine lasts this long, I think it would be a worthwhile risk to take as he would be a solid addition to our front 7 once he becomes healthy. Good pick.

5 Malliciah Goodman, DE, Clemson. Probably go a round earlier, but is a typical 3-4 DE prospect. Good pick, but i don't think we'll draft 2 DEs.

6 Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois. Always take a flyer on an athletic corner in the late rounds for depth and ST.Not bad
  9. xwalker

11,544 Messages
    4,128 Likes Received
    Carradine would be an OLB for the Cowboys.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,907 Messages
    1,298 Likes Received
    yea, I like that draft but would simply take Reid in the second, where I think he'll be and then take OL in the first.
  11. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,814 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Replace Reid with a Dlineman and I would give that draft a high grade.

Amazing how little emphasis is being placed on the oldest and underperforming unit on the team. The defensive line MUST get an infusion of youth from this draft. I can't stand watching Spears et all flopping around anymore and getting zero pressure on the opposing QB's.
  12. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,747 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    I agree with this .we MUST draft a NT in the first 2 rds,we cannot depend on Ratliff to stay healthy.