1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

President-Elect Obama to Keep Robert Gates as Defense Secretary

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by irvin88, Nov 25, 2008.

1. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    All Clinton and Bush people. Change we can believe in.:lmao:
  2. MilesAustinforMVP

MilesAustinforMVP Benched

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gates is really more an H.W. Bush person. He is one of Daddy's friends.
  3. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, he's one of those guys that was terrible while the campaign was going on, now he is offered a job.

politics as usual. Obama's approval ratings will be lower than Bush's by next Christmas. Book it.;)
  4. MilesAustinforMVP

MilesAustinforMVP Benched

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't recall anyone attacking Gates during the campaign. I think you have him confused with Rumsfeld.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,273 Likes Received
    Agreed. Gates has been a good hire for W.

If rumsfeld was still in charge the turn around in Iraq would have never happened IMO.
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,239 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Keeping Gates is a good choice. I said before the election that I hoped Gates would stay on and now that it has happened I am glad. He was a good replacement for the disaster that was Rumsfeld.
  7. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,279 Messages
    68 Likes Received

I agree. Rumsfield was horrible.
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,088 Messages
    5,640 Likes Received
    Gates agrees to stay on under Obama

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates has agreed to stay on under President-elect Obama, according to officials in both parties. Obama plans to announce a national-security team early next week that includes Gates at the Pentagon and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) as secretary of State, officials said.

Retired Marine Gen. James L. Jones, former Marine commandant and commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Europe, will be named national security adviser, the officials said.

The national security adviser heads the National Security Council, which is the part of the White House structure that deals with foreign policy, and varies in influence from presidency to presidency. Jones insisted on – and got – a commanding role, the sources said.

Democrats familiar with the national-security event early next week said they also expect James B. Steinberg, who was deputy national security adviser in the Clinton administration, to be named deputy secretary of State; Susan Rice, Obama’s senior foreign policy adviser on the campaign, to be named U.S. ambassador to the United Nations; and retired Navy Admiral Dennis C. Blair, the former commander-in-chief of the U.S. Pacific Command and a veteran of the NSC, Central Intelligence Agency and Joint Chiefs of Staff, to be named the director of national intelligence.

Tom Donilon, an assistant secretary of state for public affairs and chief of staff at the U.S. Department of State during the Clinton administration, is a leading candidate to be Jones’ deputy at the NSC, officials said.

The team gives Obama experience in the bureaucracy and credibility with the military, although it could lead to criticism from his party’s left wing that the lineup is more hawkish and less revolutionary than his supporters expected.

David Axelrod, the incoming White House senior adviser, said Sunday on ABC’s “This Week”: “The president-elect was clear throughout the campaign that when he became president, that he was going to give the secretary of defense a new mission, and that mission was going to be to wind down our involvement. Nothing has changed.”

Axelrod said Obama enjoys and invites strong opinions and there will be no “potted plants” in his Cabinet.

Gates has been negotiating with Obama emissaries over his deputies — some will be retained, and some new — and how the Pentagon will be run.

The selection of a member of President Bush’s inner circle allows Obama to deliver on his promise of a bipartisan Cabinet, even though Gates has an intelligence background and has not been an active Republican.

The appointment has substantial advantages for Obama, who now can keep his pledge of drawing down troops in Iraq with the aid of an architect of the Bush administration’s successful troop "surge" strategy.

The presence of Gates also will help finesse Obama’s relationship with Gen. David Petraeus, the former U.S. commander in Iraq and now the head of the U.S. Central Command, which includes Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Gates nomination was first reported as a “done deal” by ABC News.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15986.html
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I knew I should have looked a little further. I figured this thread would be at the top of list.
  10. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,088 Messages
    5,640 Likes Received
    It's more important to discuss an "Office of the President-Elect" insignia than any cabinet posts or presidential appointments.
  11. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Another great example of why Obama is a uniter. This is the kind of leadership this country has needed for the longest time!
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Hillary W. Obama. The perfect storm. What a nightmare this is going to be.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    Gates was a good hire no doubt about it.
    That line about having to FINESSE Obama's relationship to Petraeus really begs elaboration.
  14. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Given your recent track record as a political prognosticator, I can only assume that you derive some pleasure out of making yourself look like a fool... I'm pretty sure that if I'd called the last election as wrongly as you did, I'd get out of the prediction biz for a while, at least long enough that I thought most of the regulars in here had forgotten about how wrong you were...

Book it?? Son, with how consistently WRONG you've been over these past few months, any smart betting man would be on the opposite of ANYTHING you believe... :D
  15. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I sure hope he thinks Dallas is going to lose on Thursday.
    :pray: