1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Presidential Prediction

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,597 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    No. What you cite are certain Christian's factions interpretations of the bible. Not every Christian group interprets the bible in the same manner so it is hardly "Black and White."
  2. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,135 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    The Religious Right does not have a monopoly on the Christian message. There are other equally valid versions of Christianity that do not espouse a fundamentalist right-wing ideology.
  3. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Thats my point certain "christian groups" chose to pick and choose parts of the bible to believe and others not too. You either believe the Bible IS the Living Word of God or you do not.

Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
  4. AbeBeta

25,597 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    or you could recognize that there are 1000s of ways to interpret such a vague document.
  5. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    What is vague about this:

Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
  6. AbeBeta

25,597 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Context.

Many groups recognize the context of such a message -- namely that a NEW religion needs to ensure that their followers are making as many new followers as possible.

that's a hallmark of any breakaway sect
  7. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    What?
  8. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

But basing a justification of inequality off a book that may or may not be factual is erroneous.

If someone wants to believe the Bible is = to truth. Fine.

But its not reason for an entire nation to justify a denial of equal rights. Especially when the Bible cannot be proven to be true or the existence of a God is indeed factual.
  9. AbeBeta

25,597 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Vague -- can be interpreted in multiple ways.

A. As the word of God

B. As a document from 1000s of years prior that promoted many activities that we now view as reprehensible (slavery, oppression of women).

You can say that your "sect" takes the document as the literal word of God but you really have to acknowledge that others interpret it differently and that more importantly, they have every right to make such an interpretation.
  10. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,248 Messages
    2,448 Likes Received
    Be very careful with statements such as there, HeavyG.

I, too, believe that God disseminates His Word through the Bible, and I agree with you on most points.

However, the Gospel is far more grandiose than any political movement. And not one of us can claim a complete understanding of God's Word.
  11. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    See thats what agravates me about this whole thing. It's ok to tell the Christians they are full of it and believe a book that is full inequities. But if these same people voice thier opinion based on thier beliefs they are attacked from all angles. Again I will say I truely believe if you put this issue to a vote of the people you would see this county does believe in the Christian principles of the Bible
  12. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Yes, but I believe in regards to this issue the Bible is clear as to where God stands
  13. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,937 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Tigers also eat their young... as do many other animals...

I'm not taking one side or the other, but don't base your opinion on what the animal world does...
  14. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    I think this thread has moved WAY beyond its initial subject.

It should be shut down before an all out Holy War starts.
  15. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I am not sure what your point is.

Just because people (even a majority) would vote one way doesn't make it legitimate. The framers of the Constitution were worried about a tyranny of the masses too.

I think if you put the issue of "Do you want to be taxed this year?" to a vote a majority would vote "no."

Doesn't mean it should happen even if a majority do want it....
  16. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I think this thread is great.

Its really pushing me away from the Christian faith I was brought up in.
  17. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    I think that says something about you more than this thread.

You should never let another man change whats in your heart.

Dammitt now I am being part of the problem of this thread.

:mad:
  18. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    My point is this. Every time we have a discussion about something that brings ethics or morals into the mix as soon as someone uses the bible to
    back up thier stand they are automatically written off. YOu want context. Here is the Context of the verse I used:

[24] Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: [25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. [26] For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: [27] And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. [28] And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; [29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, [30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, (Rom 1:24-30 KJV)
  19. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    This isn't a culmination from this thread....

I've been struggling with this for the past 2-3 years.... and I've drifted away from my religion and Church in that time.

This might just be the final nail in the coffin.

Because some of the justification for the inequality really bothers me. Especially because I've had someone close to me come out recently and tell me they are gay...
  20. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,248 Messages
    2,448 Likes Received
    I concur completely.