1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Prisco: After Further Review: Cowboys questionable 3rd-Down Play

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 1, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,086 Messages
    5,626 Likes Received
    By Pete Prisco | Senior NFL Columnist

2. Cowboys fans have to be sick about the way they lost to the Giants at home last week. They had their chances, but made a ton of mistakes. I still think a big part of the problem was the calling of three consecutive passes after they had a second-and-1 at the Giants' 19 late in the game. Cowboys fans will be even sicker when they see the screen shot from the third-and-1 pass that Tony Romo tried to hit for a score to Kevin Ogletree. Why? Miles Austin was wide open in the middle. Romo made a decision to go to Olgetree without any consideration for any other receiver in the route. If he looked to the middle, he could have hit Austin with a quick throw -- and he had an easy throwing lane to see him. Austin would have had a first down and a lot more. But Romo made the pre-snap decision to take the shot. Bad move. In fairness to Romo, Ogletree should have caught the pass for a go-ahead score. Romo was credited with four picks, but the first one he threw was on receiver Dez Bryant. He had to get across the face of safety Steve Brown, but kind of rounded off his route, which led to the pick. It wasn't a good day for the Cowboys all the way around.

Here's a look at the questionable third-down play.

Here's a look at the first play in a three-picture sequence. You can see Romo threw to Ogletree in the blue circle. The yellow circle highlights Austin, who beat Jayron Hosley inside. It should have been an easy pitch-and-catch to keep the drive alive.

[IMG]

Hot Tub

1. Cowboys TE Jason Witten: He had 18 catches and the Giants could not stop him. He almost willed his team to a victory.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...interior-linemen-the-secret-to-stingy-defense
  2. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    3rd and 1... Tony has to be aware of the situation and look for best chance to get the first down.
  3. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,457 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    Yup I do still feel sick, the play to Austin was the best play.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,477 Messages
    8,379 Likes Received
    You mean Garrett didn't call "throw it to Ogletree on three"?

One other aspect to that situation is you didn't want to score too early. A FG wins them the game. I'd have run the ball on 2nd and 1 regardless of the look I was getting. I want time off the clock and/or the Giants to use their timeouts.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,506 Messages
    6,254 Likes Received
    Wait...so was it a bad play call, or just a risky read?

I think 'bad play call', because it didn't work. I don't believe anyone would be complaining about JG, though, if Tony'd thrown to Austin. That should tell you something about the assessment of play calls by fans after a tough loss.
  6. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It's a lot easier to know what is good or bad after the play works or doesn't.
  7. Idgit

30,506 Messages
    6,254 Likes Received
    Especially when you define 'good' and 'bad' by your answer to the question "Did the play work?"
  8. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,079 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I agree with RS: 2nd and 1 has to be a run.

Maybe 3rd and 1 too. But Prisco's not concerned with whether the third down play is a run or a pass. He thinks we should be concerned instead that Austin was wide open on a play where Romo went to O-Tree. I don't see it. How's it fair to imply that Romo should have gone through his progressions when he obviously had a look he liked for the score and proved that he could execute the play only to be let down by the receiver? He trusted his read and trusted his receiver. He was right to do the former and, as it turned out, wrong to do the latter. Sounds more like a basis for indicting O-Tree rather than Romo.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,551 Messages
    3,833 Likes Received
    I think the D should dictate whether it's a run or pass although that's not an absolute.
  10. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,457 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    The read should have been to get the first down, it was over a minute left and The smart play was to eat more clock while trying to score.
  11. Idgit

30,506 Messages
    6,254 Likes Received
    It sounded to me like Garrett agreed with you in his Mon press conference. Though it was only a tone-of-voice thing as he listed off a handful of mistakes or 'challenging plays' we had last weekend.
  12. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,079 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Maybe. Or maybe you think that you're getting a look from the D that you can take advantage of and you might not get a look you like this much again. Maybe you think that plays that go for six are hard to come by and that you have to try to capitalize on the rare opportunities. Maybe you think that first priority is to get the touchdown, which after all is the ultimate objective of every play on every drive, and let the D (which, btw, has been pretty stiff all day long) worry about making sure the clock runs out without further points being scored.
  13. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,335 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I just dont like the timing of taking that shot. Those are the type of shots you take on 1st and 2nd down or earlier in the game, not 3rd and 1 with a minute left to a guy not making plays.

Either JG or TR dont get match ups. Kind of reminds me of the Denver game a few years back, game on the line, one play to decide it, the play is to single Hurd on Champ Bailey. REALLY? That is the play call, a slant to Hurd on arguably the best corner in the NFL at the time? That is the your best match up Romo? Just doesnt seem like much has changed. I really think he believes he can scheme guys open and that match ups arent as important as running his stuff. Maybe Im wrong, but that is the impression Im left with.
  14. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    it was typical Romo in that he doesn't manage a game well. You take the first down high percentage play then you take your shots.
  15. CutMeMick

CutMeMick Member

254 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Exactly.
    Its that same gunslinger mentality that had Bill Parcells frothing, and it always comes up in moments like those.
    Get the easy 1st, run some clock, then look to score w/out giving Eli time to do anything. The worst move is to throw it there. Just another ill-advised decision that came back to bite him.
  16. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Precisely what was going on in my mind during the game. I was irate romo went to the end zone there..without even knowing Miles was wide open. Can't leave 1min + for Eli.
  17. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,496 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    For the life of me I don't understand why Romo is getting blamed for this when they had a shot at a TOUCHDOWN and should've had one if Ogletree caught it. Now you can question him throwing it to Ogletree and you won't get a argument out of me but if Ogletree can't make that cat then he shouldn't be the #3.
  18. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,440 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I was begging for a run , qb sneak in either 2nd or 3rd down. How stupid the QB and HC can be if we laymen fans know getting the yard and keeping clock going is more important ???
  19. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,313 Messages
    4,846 Likes Received
    For anyone that can't remember the exact scenario:

Up to this point in the game, the Cowboys have 19 rushing yards on 17 attempts.

NY 29

DAL 24
    1:23
    19 yard line
    2nd an 1
    Romo throws to Witten on the right sideline about 5 yards downfield - Incomplete.

NY 29

DAL 24
    1:19
    19 yard line
    3rd and 1
    Romo throws to Ogletree for a would-be touchdown - Incomplete
    A flag is thrown but then "picked-up" by the refs.

NY 29

DAL 24
    1:14
    19 yard line
    4rd and 1
    Romo scrambles 20+ yards backwards, then makes a desperation heave to Witten on the right sideline - Interception.