1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Productive rookie class so far

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by viman96, Aug 27, 2013.

1. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,585 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    This has been a really productive set of rookies through the offseason programs and preseason. Nice to see a number of rookies showing up. Maybe it is just me but it seems like it has been a while to have so many showing up.
    Pottsville Maroons likes this.
  2. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,204 Messages
    1,130 Likes Received
    I don't think we have had an entire draft class make the team in a long time, if ever.
  3. Trueboysfan

Trueboysfan Member

107 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Agreed sir. This has definately been a good rookie class...Randle, T Fred and Holloman have really stood out. The others as well and don't want to take anything away from them, but those three have stood out to me the most. So far seems like a really good draft class.
  4. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,413 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    This draft class is exactly what we needed. The last few years, we've done a good job finding our future "cornerstones" in Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter, and Claiborne. What we needed this year was a class of contributors from top to bottom, and that's what it looks like we landed.
  5. forever22

forever22 Member

369 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So far, so good - if they pan out. Making the cut is level one. Staying with the team is level two. Signing next contract is three and making a career is four.

I'll wait to see who the usual suspects will give credit to, for the draft, hit or miss ;)
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,322 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    While there were the usual questions and conplaints on draft weekend I think we can now see what the coaching staff was thinking and why we chose the players we did.
  7. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,427 Messages
    401 Likes Received
    I haven't heard much from the very vocal "should-have-drafted-Floyd" crowd lately. Seems like they lost their voice after all their shouting immediately after the draft.:)
  8. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,759 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    You can hardly judge a draft class after its first year, let alone before. The 2008 draft class was one of the most promising in recent history, and look how they turned out.
  9. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,620 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    Too soon to tell if this is a very productive draft class considering the lower picks have been facing other bubble guy's, but I will say this draft class (as well as the undrafted and veteran free agent acquisitions) did an excellent job of creating competition where good competition was really needed.
  10. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,585 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    Huge difference from being optimistic and anointing. Also there is nothing wrong with acknowledging positive signs from the rookie class.
  11. FiveRings

1,759 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I agree, but this rookie class hasn't done one productive thing yet as no games have been played
  12. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,585 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    It has been a productive draft class so far. Meaning up to this point.
  13. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,585 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    I stated a "productive class so far". I am not claiming anyone a future Pro Bowler nor anointing any of them. Just acknowledging they have been productive.
  14. FiveRings

1,759 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Productive is the operative word. Swap that out for promising and I'm on board
  15. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

6,585 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    The rookies have shown promise and thus have been productive when giving the opportunity.
  16. FiveRings

1,759 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I don't think you can call some good preseason reps production, but okay, agree to disagree
  17. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,620 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    I understand what you are saying. The problem is there is an interesting phenomenon in football where guy's who are stars in preseason, completely fall of in the regular season. Examples: Tony Curtis, Martellus Bennett, Felix Jones, Kevin Ogletree, etc. Every year there are guy's who look like world-beaters in preseason and then completely fall off once games mean something.

I believe the difference is, the starter-bound players are playing more protective as opposed to aggressive. If they know they are locks to make the team, they will be more prone to make business decisions and opt to ensure they are healthy in the regular season. This can lead to making players on the bubble who are playing without abandon look good.