1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Progressive pays for lawyer to defend the killer of their own policyholder

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by MonsterD, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,624 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Ok so this happened recently.

A woman was killed in a car accident, she was insured by Progressive, with a policy that covered if another person was underinsured. The guy who was in the wrong and killed her was underinsured with Nationwide, so Nationwide paid out their part immediately, and the balance was to be paid by Progressive. Progressive only offered the family 1/3rd the remainder and the family attempted to sue for the rest, except Maryland law gave protection to insurance companies in this type of case, so they could not sue Progressive. The family then sued the wrongful driver directly in civil court, and Progressive decided to try and sneak in as the defense and pawn it off as Nationwide.

However, court documents clearly show that Progressive filed as an 'interested party' and was 'allowed to intervene as a party defendant' and 'granted all rights to participate in this proceeding as if it were an original party to this case.'
    Which means they not only assisted the defense, but acted as if they were the defense.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fends-drivers-killer-court.html#ixzz23aKqUhvs

Her brother's account:
  2. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sick state of affairs w/ regard to what Insurance Companies are allowed to legally try to do to save a buck.

Wrong on the basest of levels... forget about the politics of it all, which can't and shouldn't be brought into it here on CZ. Disgusting practice being perpetrated against the American public, specifically... IMO.

Bogus!
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    This is akin to shedding a small light on a few scurrying ants when you're standing on the mound with a horde of ants crawling up your leg. The reality is insurance companies make money by receiving premium payments and lose money by paying on policies. If it's within their legal right to avoid paying on a policy, quite often they'll do it.

Anyway, I guess my point is, don't say "screw Progressive, I'm switching to X provider," because you're likely not getting a different result.
  4. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because that's the way it is — and that IS the way it is — doesn't make it right... right? Gotta shine a light into the dark corners of the business community's "business-as-usual" ways in America, every now and then... if we're gonna ever hope for change at some point.

I don't say, "Screw Progressive, I'm switching to X provider" 'cause they all play the same game, as you say and AFAIK.

Still smacks of wrongdoing... legal and business-like or not.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,154 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    Insurance has always been and shall always be legalized piracy.
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I don't use Progressive. This is just another reason not to use them.
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    It doesn't make it "right" from a moral standpoint, but they are most likely "in the right" from a legal standpoint. I couldn't tell you what's "moral" and what isn't, because that's an individual determination without objective criteria (no matter what 17th or 18th century political philosophers try to sell you).

This may be a particularly ugly case, but there are many factors to consider when insurance companies determine to litigate a case in order to withhold payment on a policy. One being that their primary objective as a business entity is to provide a profit to the owners who have established, provided capital to and own and indirectly operate the business. The other is that if they were not discerning in making payments on policies, their premiums to other customers would undoubtedly rise. Insurance is a competitive business where premiums are highly scrutinized by customers. If Progressive or Geico or whoever can't offer attractive premiums to customers, they lose them.

Again, don't think I'm making an excuse for Progressive. I'm just asking people to take the thoughtful approach before getting the pitchforks out -- particularly given we're only hearing one very biased side of the story, which may or may not be entirely true factually.
  8. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,492 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Does anyone actually read their auto policy? Why would Progressive owe for this womans student loans?? Or pain and suffering of the family?? Thats not what uninsured/underinsured motorist pays for.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    Please remember that politics are not allowed on the forum.
  10. Sam I Am

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Shadup! We are talking insurance! :laugh2:
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    Don't make me beat you up....Flo.

:p: ;)
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received

I agree. I would urge people to do a little investigation before committing their hard earned income to them. Some are much worse than others.
  13. Sam I Am

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    http://cdn.*************.net/instances/400x/24881909.jpg

[IMG]
  14. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,129 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    They were asking for the amount that was owed to them under their policy. That amount would be used to pay her student loans.

Maryland has a 1% liability law where in essence if it can be proven that the person was only 1% liable, they are owed nothing. That's what Progressive was trying to prove so they wouldn't have to pay her.

What bothers me is that apparently there are some states, like Maryland, where you can't sue your insurance carrier for not paying a claim. Scary to think laws like that exist.

As my grandfather used to say, insurance is legalized mafia.

YR
  15. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,036 Messages
    144 Likes Received

This!

Talking to people in the biz, after hours, was filled with awful stories. Load 'em up on a rocket and send 'em to Mars. It's the only way to be sure....
  16. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,190 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Flo! That evil Wench!
    :mad:
  17. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  18. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,492 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Then be upset at the Maryland general assembly that made the insurance policy. And anyone that thinks their insurance company wouldnt do the same thing is delusional.
    Insurance is so different from state to state, in Louisiana for example they have 'no pay no play'. If you dont have insurance and i rear end you, and its completly my fault, injuring you and your family, guess what, you cant collect off my policy for damages to you or your vehicle. Your just sol.
  19. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received

sad but true. i find this story to be absolutely vile and disgusting and it makes me furious, and maybe I'll drop progressive out of sheer principle anyway, but I can't help but feel like they are all evil bloodsuckers.
  20. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,062 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Should be like this in every state. Of course there are circumstances if your policy lapsed for a couple days, but if your not paying into the system, you shouldn't collect from it.