1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Projecting the draft: Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by johnnyd, Apr 15, 2012.

1. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Posted: 12:38 pm April 15, 2012

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

Despite boasting some of the game's most exciting playmakers on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, the Dallas Cowboys have not reached the playoffs for two consecutive years. Considering that Tony Romo turns 32 in less than a week (April 21), whatever window of opportunity the team has with him being head coach Jason Garrett's unquestioned starting quarterback may be closing.

As such, owner Jerry Jones was more aggressive than usual this off-season. The team addressed its two most obvious areas of concern - signing former Kansas City Chiefs' cornerback Brandon Carr to a five year, 50 million dollar contract (which includes 25 million guaranteed) and adding not one, but two veteran interior linemen in former Cincinnati Bengal Nate Livings and former Carolina Panther Mackenzy Bernadeau.

The focus up front might allow Dallas to focus on an aging defense with their first pick of the 2012 draft, No. 14 overall. Certainly, adding a versatile defensive lineman like LSU's Michael Brockers or Memphis' Dontari Poe would make a great deal of sense. Each boasts Pro Bowl potential and because of concerns about how ready they are to contribute, each could be available at this point in the draft.

With the Cowboys likely looking for players able to contribute more immediately, the team could instead focus on other areas of concern early in the draft while investing lower picks in developmental prospects for the defensive line.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18580262/projecting-the-draft-dallas-cowboys
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Not bad Rob, not bad.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,239 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Barron
    Silatolu
    Charles

I could live w this
  4. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    From what I read about Charles, he seems to be what we hoped Bennett would be. Good blocker that can actually catch the ball. I don't think Charles is as good a blocker as Bennett, but seems to be much more consistent in the pass catching skills than Bennett.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

9,239 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    i actually like allen more than charles..but id rather take charles in the 3rd than allen in the 2nd..i think
  6. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I probably missed this in one of your threads but what are your feelings on Poe?
  7. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,582 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Gimme Egnew en the third.
  8. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Same here. I'm cool with Malik Jackson too
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,297 Messages
    6,256 Likes Received
    Malik Jackson is a guy nobody talks about but man is he intriguing.

This is how I spend the last couple of weeks before the draft. Look at the guys you haven't really paid attention to. Jackson looks to be an ideal fit for our defense.

Kiper's got me eyeballing Justin Bethel, CB from Presbyterian. Real interesting small college prospect. Possibly a S convert in the NFL.
  10. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,975 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Aging defense?

Kenyon Coleman (turns 33 this month), the oldest player on the team, is in the final year of his contract and may be released before the season begins. Marcus Spears, another potential release, won't turn 30 until next March.

Jason Hatcher, a low mileage player, and Demarcus Ware both turn 30 in July while Jay Ratliff turns 31 in August.

That's it.

Everyone else will finish next season in their twenties.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,237 Messages
    1,822 Likes Received
    I like most of those players but strongly disagree with his take that our 3 man front is big strength. I think it's maybe average
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,237 Messages
    1,822 Likes Received
    Good thought process and value/need consideration
  13. GloryDaysRBack

9,239 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    The Huddle Report pimps Malik Jackson..id love to snag him