1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Promise Ring Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,186 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

but all jokes aside, the thought of another year of Costa/Killa starting at center scares me, there were centers I feel we should've taken over some of these guys.
  2. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Ahh, I got ya now.
  3. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,092 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Maybe this is why we have a D that highfives WRs when they make plays and help them off the ground when they tackle them. High character guys is overrated.

I honestly wouldn't mind getting some nasty on this team our 90s teams weren't squeaky clean but they where good
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Honestly, that's one reason I was hoping we'd draft Ronnell Lewis. Yeah, he's a little crazy, but he plays with a true violence and tries to hurt people.

And not that being a good guy means you can't be an animal on the field. But I bet anyone who has played remembers a few crazy or just plain mean guys who you were almost a little afraid of even in practice because you knew they had a screw loose.
  5. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Just because you are a high character guy doesn't mean you AREN'T a tough S.O.B. on the field.
  6. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,866 Messages
    1,681 Likes Received
    Actually, you needed at least one Jerry Jones "does not know what he is doing" insult (the scouts have nothing to do with our draft after all), at least one "we should have chosen <insert guaranteed Hall of Fame player here>" and ended your post with a "we will be lucky to reach <insert .500 or worse record here> this year" prediction :D

#reality
  7. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    The Patriots don't always win because the have better players. They win because they buy into the "team" mentality. They draft football players that will do whatever it takes to get on the field and contribute. We need a lot more of that in Dallas.
  8. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,572 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    I trust Garrett and the FO enough to give them time. I understand if someone else wants to take the "I've been waiting 17 years already" perspective. I'll just excuse myself from that conversation.

Regarding this year's draft. The addition of Claiborne is certainly exciting. The rest I don't pretend to know enough about, hence the trust.

I don't expect this draft to be popular on this board because the names bandied about for months were not selected. So I'll probably stay out of those conversations as well.

I'm eager to get some OTA's going and get to camp. I'll be eager to see what our new collection of players can do. But that is still a ways off.
  9. couchscout

couchscout Member

708 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I think it's friggin hilarious that fans make snap judgements about players 30 seconds after they are drafted, ESPECIALLY from the 4th round on. As Sdogo said, they are actually judging players they have almost certainly never seen play. At best they did 5 minutes of youtube scouting.

As for me? I work in the pro scouting department for my employer, so I don't get sent all 22 flim for these college prospects. In fact, the best I can do is youtube scouting just like you guys. Now, yeah I will most likely get a little more out of youtube scouting than your typical fan, but it's certainly not my preferred method.

That's why you don't see me on here making snap judgements positive or negative about these picks. Here's the truth, I don't have a clue. The difference is, I know I don't have a clue instead of running around from thread to thread telling everyone how smart I am by killing every draft pick the team makes. I can speculate with some accuracy about what roles the team might envision for these players, but how they will perform in the NFL is beyond me at this point. After the first preseason game, when my employer emails me the all22 film, that'll be the first time you'll see me offer real evaluations of these players.
  10. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    If 90% of them even spent 5 minutes doing that we would have 80% less off the cusp ranting. At the very least, this would be all I would ask. Just do some reading and research and if your still not happy by all means tell us why.
  11. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I agree with pretty much everything you said, especially the bolded part.

But I notice you didn't ridicule the fans screaming about how *good* these picks are.
  12. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Works both ways for me but there are some differences all of which brings up a whole other subject that does not need approaches because we then get into the happy fan and negative Nancy and Realist debate.
  13. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    you could have incorporated tebow in there somewhere
  14. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,866 Messages
    1,681 Likes Received
    Most people who get upset at 4th round and lower picks are not so much irritated at the player chosen but rather the fact that a better player (in their minds) was not chosen. A lot of that comes from the fact that the pool for rounds 1-3 is much smaller than the pool for rounds 4-7 so once the draft reaches the 4th round, teams tend to focus less on overall best-player-available and instead focus on best players available with traits and/or skills they covet in positions where their depth is limited or is stagnant.

#reality
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Obviously they've done their research.

Fans are fans. What do people expect?
  16. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Brilliantly said. Nice post.
  17. couchscout

couchscout Member

708 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Touche. I guess that's the optimist in me, I don't have a problem with people being positive. But you're right, for the most part the positive people don't have a clue either. I find that usually the ones celebrating a pick have at least spent a little bit of time looking at the player, or was a fan of the player throughout his college career. Either way, I'll always laugh at the negative nellies that spend all their time trying to tell us how terrible everything is. Maybe that's wrong of me, but it is what it is.
  18. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    The one thing I've noticed about the Jason Garrett drafts is these guys are all "lunch pail" guys.
  19. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,894 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    It's easy to be a cheerleader or a cynic. I look at the draft with curiosity when I don't know the player, but I won't pretend to know how these guys ae going to do, especially based on the draft magazines. I hope that the scouts and coaching staff know what they're doing and wait for results. I'm a fan. I reserve the right to be pleased or disappointed, but I don't have any input, so I can only hold out hope. I continually say that it's never quite as good or as bad as you might think. So far, I'm not horrified, but I'm wondering about the O-Line.
  20. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

829 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Couch and SDogo, i asked a question on the first page - no response so ill try again from a differant perspective.
    Not sure if you guys know anyone in our organisation but - any idea what the stratagy is with not addressing the oline at all ? Are they really happy to stand pat with what we have (maybe obviously !) seems like alot of teams we will play got a lot stronger up front. How concerned are you guys about Romo's health again. Disclaimer - as a fan, I want to be estatic about our drafting. But color me puzzled ! Help !
    Not trying to be negative, just looking for some perspective ,,, thanks.