1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Promise Ring Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    It's been said and said again that nate livings and mckenzie bernadeau were brought in to be starters. and last years 4th, david arkin and 7th, bill nagy will be depth. My only problem is center, but who should we take? Konz was gone before the third. Blake and Jones went right before us in the 4th. So far these are the only centers drafted, I think we'll take one coming up soon, but guard was addressed in free agency.
  2. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received

What I'm about to post is not breaking news to either of you guys, but here it goes anyways.

a) You have the casual fan who follows the team faithfully, is upset with it's performance, watches some college football, then from January through April reads a couple of on-line draft guides and opinions, finds players he/she likes, projects them as the " obvious need filler " or " talent potential ", and convinces himself/herself that if the team does not get those players, that front office is brainless and should be replaced.

b) Then you have the fans who are not in the business but watches college football, have been following the draft for years ( even decades ), have his/her's favorite " pet cats ", but know fully well that more than likely the team will NOT select them, attempts to understand the logic behind the players that were actually selected, and realizes that, in the end, the draft is just an educated GUESSING process. ( that'd be me )

c) last, people as yourselves who are directly/indirectly connected to the business. Know more than most fans how the process works. Know people connected to the process that makes you aware of information that either most aren't or before it become public, still have your preferences but know very well that they will likely not happen, and try to explain the " method " behind the " madness ".

The reality is that places like this forum are going to have a majority of A, a solid base of B, and if fortunate enough, a couple of C's. If it was a school report card, it would be great, but unfortunately it's not, so it is what it is.

The only thing that could be done is for you C's to continue to try to educate and inform and it's up to the rest of us to use the information/lesson properly.
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    They spent "legit" starter money for two OG's this off season and that's what they will go with. My only issue is at OC but you have to remember, they do have last years starter who gets another year of development, a young player in Killer who can play it and they like him as well as Mackenzie who can make the switch. They can certainly have an open battle for the position based on what they have. Bottom line is they a bunch of young players there and I'm not sure they dont want to toss them away with out seeing what they have.

Am I concerned? Yes? Just not as much as most seem to be. OG is a funny position in the NFL. You can get away and be dominant with "serviceable" OG's. You cant do the same with OC's and that concerns me more then anything.
  4. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Well said and understood
  5. kiheikiwi

kiheikiwi Maui No Ka Oi

687 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Great post ! That would be me (Type B) and hence the questions, just trying to understand better from people alot more qualified to understand the rationale than us casual fans. It seems just about every draft outlet had guard/center on our list of needs. Guess our team dose not agree. Sdogo and couch, can you elaborate on what you know, think of the players outside Claiborne that we have taken ?
  6. couchscout

couchscout Member

708 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I'll basically echo Sdogo. I told you guys pretty early on in the offseason to not be surprised if we basically stand pat at OG. This team likes Arkin and Nagy, and even Costa actually. Livings is gonna start, probably at RG, and then there is gonna be a big competition for our starters at C and LG. Arkin, Nagy, Bernadeau, Costa, Killa, maybe a draft pick and UDFA or two. The best 2 get the spots. I think the Cowboys see Arkin and Nagy as future solid starters, so they don't wanna invest money or resources in "progress stoppers." They picked up some people who can hold down the fort for a season, half a season, how ever long it takes for Arkin and Nagy to get ready.

Aside from that, I'm very interested to see what Callahan is gonna do with Costa at the center position. Despite the seemingly terrible season he's coming off of, there is a lot of potential there. He has the ability to handle those big 3-4 NT's by himself in the run game. He needs to become much better as a pass protector, anchor better, and not get over extended. But if he can get a handle on those things, I think he can be a serviceable center.
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,709 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  8. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,519 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    Good post!

I might add that folks have varying lenses of optimism/pessimism they tend to see life through. That impacts this as well.
  9. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Close, but not quite...

Needs a banghead smilie or two or three...
  10. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If they draft a quarterback in the 7th round, it will be damn near perfect...
  11. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We would have had to revoke your man card...
  12. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,865 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :laugh1: :lmao2: :lmao: I was waiting for that.
  13. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I lost that when I got married:eek:
  14. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There will be a slew of centers out there after the draft is over, players like:

Scott Wedige, Northern Illinois
    Mason Cloy, Clemson
    Moe Petrus, Connecticut
    Grant Garner, Oklahoma State
    Rodney Austin, Elon
    Jason Slowey, Western Oregon
    Seth Oxner, Arkansas-Monticello

With the new 90 man roster limits, they might even sign two of them... I'm particularly intrigued by Slowey...
  15. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,481 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Good draft people need to wake up
  16. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I post this, and almost immediately, Slowey gets drafted... damn...
  17. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received

This, right there, IS the hardest part for most people to understand. When THAT message right there starts to sink in to people's minds, and I'm talking the media as well ( and more specifically the local media ), then things will look more clear and the stupid comments might become more rare.

The failure to understand THAT right there is why people at The Ticket are looking like morons this year.
  18. bigdrulez3141

bigdrulez3141 Member

286 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Hey couchscout, I remember when you siad something like "Mike Jenkins is one of the most impactful players on the team" last year. What do you think we are looking to get for him? and do you think it is a good idea?
  19. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    meh....another undrafted center to compete with the other undrafted centers we already have. seems like another season of 3rd and short/goal line failures and Romo running for his life. would love to be wrong, but Costa would need about an 180 degree turn around to even be solid. Killa may be better, but not by much and any undrafted guy will likely be the same.
  20. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,933 Messages
    192 Likes Received

I don't know of many NFL teams that give up on a player the first year. That type of thinking is better left to the uninformed fan.