1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Protesting the Olympic Torch

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rackat, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    OK, maybe I'm old, but it just seems incredibly stupid to me that people are trying to dowse the Olympic Torch as it travels around the world in protest of China's treatment of Tibet. Others are asking for a boycott of the games.

I remember the last Olympic boycott and the only thing it did was cause some fine athletes to miss their chance at Olympic glory. It didn't change the USSR's policies, just as dowsing the Torch or boycotting the games will not change China's policies.

Ugh.
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I can't say I really understand it either.
  3. jman

jman Well-Known Member

1,766 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    It happened in France, right?

Nuff said. I still hate the French, but they do make a good fry.
  4. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    And London also
  5. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And San Francisco has protesters lined up as well. They did something on the Golden Gate and people were talking about dowsing the flame there too.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,982 Messages
    5,183 Likes Received
    I have no issue with people protesting however I'm not in favor of any type of boycott of the Olympics
  7. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with protesting, per se, just the way in which they choose to protest.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,982 Messages
    5,183 Likes Received
    I agree. I think many get over zealous but for those who want to line the rout of the torch run with signs and chants of their protest of China then go for it.
  9. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,932 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Ya wanna protest the Chinese???? Don't buy any of their products if you can help it!
  10. iceberg

iceberg nothing is nothing Zone Supporter

29,041 Messages
    2,004 Likes Received
    but i love the buffets!
  11. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    yeah ok good luck :(
  12. iceberg

iceberg nothing is nothing Zone Supporter

29,041 Messages
    2,004 Likes Received
    i don't think the olympics should be used as a political tool regardless of what other country may do it. as for those wanting to douse the flame to punish china - keep the punishment where it belongs people. geez.
  13. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The flame has been doused already like 7x or so. They should have just said forget it and flown the thing to China and let them run it in and light it on the day it was to be lit.

The flame will be doused a few more times before reaching Bejing.

Why anyone would give China an Olympics in the first place is beyond me. Did they think that all of the sudden things would change for people in China?

NOPE!
  14. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,884 Messages
    6,239 Likes Received
    Ding Ding Ding

I agree with your post and admit that it got me excited...I think it moved.:p:
  15. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Giggity!! Alright Paint !! :p:
  16. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

7,174 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Yeah, I got a chuckle outta the fact the the city that is anti religion had a protest against China for suppressing the Tibetans right to free religion.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,884 Messages
    6,239 Likes Received
    It would be one thing if it were just San Fran...then it would be easy to just chalk it up as those leftie loonie San Franciscans...however this is happening in other cities in other countries as well.
    China should have never been given the chance to do the Olympics in the first place...but that is just my opinion.
  18. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

7,174 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    And a good opinion it is. I'm all for freedom and opposed to oppression.

I didn't mean to pull a hijack, just picking fun on San Fran (Which they hate it when you call it that).

Ironically, its one of my favorite cities to visit. I've got 2 sisters nearby and I worked for Bay area startups (Lots of stock worth nothing now) for 8 years and was out there 4 times a year in that period.

Most of the people I know there are conservatives, except for my sisters ! Go figure :)
  19. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed.

San Fran doesn't hold anything on Berkley for loonies.