1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Protests planned for Hawaii's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 21, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,910 Likes Received
    HONOLULU – Protesters will march the streets and Hawaiian chants will echo from the sprawling lawn of Iolani Palace on Hawaii's 50th anniversary of statehood, as high-minded panelists ponder the islands' future at a daylong conference.

While lacking much in the way of public parties or parades, Hawaii's official statehood day festivities will feature entertainment by local musicians and panel discussions emphasizing tourism's future, alternative energy and Native Hawaiian rights.

About 1,000 demonstrators who would rather see Hawaii's independence restored are expected to rally outside the conference at the Hawaii Convention Center.

"We want to show how U.S. imperialism has spread across the Pacific and across the world," said Lynette Cruz, an organizer of the Hawaiian Independence Action Alliance. "It'll be fun."

The protesters will be allowed inside the convention center lobby, but they can't get into the individual conference rooms without purchasing a $30 ticket.

"We're trying to set a standard that embraces dialogue over physical conflict, and that's the hope for Friday," said Trisha Kehaulani Watson of Honua Consulting, one of the Hawaiian panelists. "We can show people that we can have concerns and be emotional without losing control."

Previous statehood anniversaries haven't always been peaceful.

American-flag-waving Statehood Day celebrants and Hawaiian sovereignty advocates clashed in 2006 at Iolani Palace, the heart of the Hawaiian monarchy where officials declared in 1959 that Hawaii had joined the union. The conflict turned into a shouting match between those trying to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" and others who used a public address system to drown them out.

Last year, police arrested 23 members of a Hawaiian pro-sovereignty group that broke into the palace, locked its gates and posted signs that read, "Property of the Kingdom of Hawaiian Trust."

"The state is very cognizant of Hawaiian protests, and I think they don't want to have any bad press," said Dean Saranillio, a student who wrote his dissertation on how statehood came at the expense of Hawaiian self-determination. "There's a very vibrant and vocal Hawaiian community that's well-versed in the history. They know statehood was a product of the overthrow."

The Hawaiian kingdom was overthrown in 1893 when a group of white businessmen forced Queen Liliuokalani to abdicate while U.S. Marines came ashore.

About 94 percent of Hawaii voters supported statehood in 1959, but opponents argue the vote was tainted because the only choice on the ballot was to become a state or remain a territory — independence was not an option.

At sunset Friday, 18 Hawaiians will recite chants in memory of Queen Liliuokalani from the balconies of Iolani Palace, said Kippen de Alba Chu, chairman of the Statehood Commission. He said the chanters and the conference discussions will help set the stage for Hawaii's future.

"The tone is reflective. We're looking back where we came from and looking at our accomplishments, but perhaps also the things we need to do better," he said.

Back at the convention center, Hawaii's commemorative 50th anniversary postage stamp will be unveiled. The stamp, available nationwide Friday, will show a painting of a longboard surfer and two paddlers on an outrigger canoe.

The day's events will end with a '50s-style concert by The Platters, the Coasters and the Drifters.

Other statehood events included a walking tour focused on the overthrow, with costumed guides and role-players along the way; a statehood mosaic unveiled earlier this month at the Honolulu airport with artwork from more than 8,000 students nationwide; TV and radio ads with "50 Voices of Statehood" interviews; and 50 time capsules buried around the state to be opened on the state's 75th anniversary in 2034.

State lawmakers allocated $600,000 for statehood events.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090821/ap_on_re_us/hawaii_at50
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,417 Messages
    3,740 Likes Received
    If the majority of the people of Hawaii want independence they should be allowed to have it. It should also mean any and all funds go along as well.
  3. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,838 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    But... but... who would get custody of...

[IMG]
  4. Doomsday101

78,417 Messages
    3,740 Likes Received
    Higgins. :lmao2:
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Does everyone who was born in Hawaii hate America?

:)

just jk'ing guys.
  6. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Whatever.

As a WW II nut (some would say just plain nut) I can't wait to go there to see Pearl Harbor.

[IMG]
  7. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sailing into the harbor on the USNS Mercy, the Arizona Memorial was a special site to see. I was lucky enough to be on the side of the ship facing the Memorial as we sailed by it. It was even more special to me because we were making port on July 3rd, 1987 and we were able to spend Independance Day there. We spent 3 days in Hawaii, then back to California. I made the trip to teh Memorial on July 4th.
  8. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Everyone knows that Hawaii was conceived in the Congo. Open your eyes, people!
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    oh that's ok. i'm gonna protest my 50th too.
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Nice.

What's even better is now when I go there I'll get to see the USS Missouri too.

I was on the USS Iowa and was in the turret that exploded...only because my girlfriend's brother was on her at the time and took me on a private tour.

Very Impressive.
  11. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    i would just shudder looking at all that man.
  12. Doomsday101

78,417 Messages
    3,740 Likes Received
    I had an uncle who was stationed at Pearl during the attack. He had recieved a letter from his mother to make sure he was going to church so that morning he left USS Oklahoma and went to church, before mass had ended the air raid horns were sounding. He hurried back to the ship where many of his shipmates were dead.
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I know.

I've always been fascinated by Battleships.

Whether it's the Iowa class ships or the Bismarck or Yamato.

When I was one the Iowa...I was in awe.
  14. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He's a lucky man.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Battleship Row burns, and the USS Oklahoma lies capsized and sinking in the foreground.
  15. Doomsday101

78,417 Messages
    3,740 Likes Received
    Yes he was. He proudly displayed his license plate that read Pearl Harbor survivor until the day he died. He told me after the attack he never missed a day of church after that.
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Good for him as he should have.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,241 Messages
    4,567 Likes Received
    Can we take the loons from Hawaii, Texas and Alaska who do not want to be part of the USA and ship them off to some isolated armpit somewhere in the world?:D And no...I don't want them in WV.
  18. Doomsday101

78,417 Messages
    3,740 Likes Received
    They don't want to leave their state they want to be left alone. Don't worry they don't want to go to WV :laugh2:
  19. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,241 Messages
    4,567 Likes Received
    They can be left alone in some armpit of the world. Then maybe they will appreciate some things.
  20. Doomsday101

78,417 Messages
    3,740 Likes Received
    They have a place right now it is their home it is their state.