1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

QB ranking by tier including Romo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ufcrules1, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,963 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    The reason I don't understand is because you made it up. It's not an official definition because its not a "real" concept. Don't get me wrong, I know what you mean but don't act like its anything but what it is: a made up term by the media devised specifically to attack Romo.
  2. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

13,756 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    Romo's week 17 loss was worse because it was a primetime game with the division title on the line for both teams. It was worse because Romo doesn't have 2 SB rings and an 8-3 playoff record like Eli. I could go on and on why Romo's week 17 loss was worse than Eli's week 16 loss.
  3. Super_Kazuya

1,963 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    LOL. Prime time? Are you serious? Mind is blown...

So let me see if I understand elimination games. Two hypotheticals.

QB A plays a road game in Week 17 which the final wild card is up for both teams. QB A plays well, but they lose and the opponent sails into the playoffs. QB gets an elimination loss.

QB B plays a home game in week 17 where a win gets them in the playoffs, but their opponent is 4-11 and making golf plans. QB has an off game with 3 picks, leading them to a defeat. QB B does not get an elimination loss because their opponent was not under "pressure".

Did I sum up this mind-bogglingly stupid concept correctly?
  4. KJJ

13,756 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    I didn't make up the term elimination game you just said the media did. lol I explained to you exactly what an elimination game is you're the only one who can't seem to grasp it. It amazes me that anyone who follows the NFL would have such a difficult time comprehending the definition of an elimination game. Any game that's do or die for both teams whether it be a playoff game or a season finale with a playoff birth on the line is an elimination game. It's very simple both teams are down to one game loser goes home. The term isn't made up to attack Romo that's ridiculous. :rolleyes:
  5. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,097 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Observations: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady belong at the top of tier 1. Roethlisberger belongs at the top of tier 2. RG3 and Luck belong in the bottom of tier 1. Romo belongs at the top of tier 2. Sanchez belongs in tier 5.
  6. Super_Kazuya

1,963 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    Then why is Romo the only player in NFL history who has an elimination record? I noticed you've danced around that question.
  7. CitySlicker202

CitySlicker202 Member

92 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The unofficial term "Elimination Game" is quite simple. Any regular season loss which officially eliminates you from post season play is an elimination game. All playoff games are of course elimination sudden deaths. These are games in which Romo has flat out failed to will the Cowboys into victory in.

Romo losing the Week 17 "Elimination Game" was devastating to his career. He is considered a choker to many in the media, and even more on this board. Beating a one legged rookie QB for the NFC East Title is what Romo desperately needed to quiet some of the nay sayers. I can't even imagine what life is like for Romo watching a 2nd year Kaepernick make it to the Super Bowl and Joe "F'Ing" Flacco winning the entire thing.
  8. KJJ

13,756 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    You're still trying to figure out what an elimination game is. The Cowboy/Washington game was moved to prime time because it was an elimination game that had a division title and a playoff birth on the line.

You still don't understand even though I've dumbed it down for you a number of times.

It was your concept you tell me.
  9. KJJ

13,756 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    I'm not dancing around anything you're just looking for an argument. Show me where Romo is the only player in NFL history who has an elimination game? Do you even realize how ridiculous a statement that is? Apparently not!
  10. Super_Kazuya

1,963 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    Now see, your definition is more what I consider it to be. KJJ's is different. Having said that, your definition is probably too broad, and would give all but 1 QB this year an elimination loss.
  11. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,712 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    I appreciate your insight. Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees are all at the top of Tier one. I didn't put them in any order, they all belong in that tier together and are interchangeable. So the order doesn't matter to me. If I had to go off of career I would say Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees.

Roethlisberger earned his spot at the bottom of Tier 1 along with Eli and Flacco. Eli has 2 supebowl MVP's, Ben has 2 rings, and Flacco earned his superbowl MVP. I thought I put Romo right where he belongs but that is surely debatable, especially on a Dallas forum. In my mind Romo was top of Tier 2 before giving the game away against Washington. He choked again when the pressure is on. 3 crucial interceptions (all his fault) in a win and you're in game dropped him down a tier IMO.
  12. KJJ

13,756 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    Besides the fact that Romo's week 17 loss eliminated the Cowboys the Giants week 16 loss didn't officially eliminate them. The Giants still had a chance to make the playoffs with a with a win in week 17 which they got and with 3 other teams losing. They had to win in week 17 or they would have been officially eliminated regardless of what other teams did.
  13. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

27,046 Messages
    2,050 Likes Received
    :romothumbsup:
  14. joshjwp

joshjwp Active Member

220 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    You actually touched on most of the ones that I debated on when I made my list.

I had trouble with Manning vs. Brady at no 2. Ultimately decided that Brady has always been in a better situation with coaching and supporting cast (especially defense). I think that is the reason for the Super Bowl difference between the two rather than their own personal talent.

I think Ryan will pass Romo and Roth but isn't there yet.

Also debated with Romo vs. Roth, but ultimately decided same as Manning Brady situation. I think Roth has had an advantage with a much better coaching staff and defense over the years which is the reason for better record success. Statistically Romo is way better in my opinion and I decided if they were in equal situation I think Romo would out perform Roth.

Luck and Wilson were both outstanding rookies and I debated putting them higher. I think they will be much higher on the list in a year or two. However, as of today I would take the veterans above them that have proved it for a longer period of time.

Don't forget about the running game and defense that Wilson was operating with though. Could he have done that on say the Rams? Where he didn't have Lynch or a upper echelon defense? I highly doubt it.
  15. ufcrules1

7,712 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    Excellent post.
  16. joshjwp

joshjwp Active Member

220 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    It drives me crazy how people always refer to Superbowls to determine how good a quarterback is. It is a TEAM sport. There are 22 starters not counting special teams. If Superbowls show a QB's worth then I guess Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino.
  17. 5Stars

27,046 Messages
    2,050 Likes Received
    You are not going to convince people of that when those people either have never played a "team" sport, or that have tunnel vision hate for a particular QB...so why try? Especially to that dude...:cool:
  18. KJJ

13,756 Messages
    1,725 Likes Received
    What makes the playoffs and SB so special and exciting is that it's do or die for both teams that are facing each other. There's no tomorrow you either win or you'e done the same thing is at stake for both teams. During the season a team could lose in week 15 and be officially eliminated from playoff contention but their opponent that day could already have a playoff birth locked up and the game wasn't as meaningful to them. Most times teams that lose late in the season have to wait until later in the day to find out if they're officially eliminated.

You find out what players and teams are made of when it's down to do or die for both teams that are facing each other. The game is equally critical to both teams that's what makes the game so exciting. There's no waiting until later in the day if you lose to find out your fate because it's in the hands of another team if you lose you're OUT and it's the same for both teams.
  19. 5Stars

27,046 Messages
    2,050 Likes Received
    I wish Romo was on a "team". Posters around here think that the "team" is on Romo.

:cool:
  20. ufcrules1

7,712 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    Dude.. the QB touches the ball more than any other player on the field. The only way the QB doesn't matter much is if he has an AMAZING team around him.. like Dilfer did in 2000. You think any ole QB could make that TD throw to Holmes with EVERYTHING on the line to win a superbowl? How about Eli's clutch pass with 2 minutes on the clock in his second superbowl? These QB's were absolutely clutch when it mattered and at the HIGHEST possible level.

If you think Flacco didn't play a huge role in his team getting to and winning the superbowl, you would be delusional. He played out of this world good with 11 TD's and o INT'S. So did Eli in his run 2 years ago.

Dan Marino was on a horrible team but he still took them to the playoffs many times and to the superbowl. Marino is in the hall of fame and is known as one of the greatest QB's to EVER play the game.