1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

QB ranking by tier including Romo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ufcrules1, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Vabeachboy

Vabeachboy Member

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True that...i see the logic..
  2. Vabeachboy

Vabeachboy Member

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But i have to disagree about Romo regressing...anybody would regress behind that line...some say Romo had one of his best seasons given the circumstances. And he still has the best QB rating in NFL history. Bad qbs do NOT have the highest qb rating ever with no line no running game and a soft defense. Put Romo in Houston or San Fran...even Minnesota...That would be bad for the rest of the NFL. 49ers wouldve won the Super Bowl if Romo was QB. That being said I think Harbaugh should have put Alex Smith in the game after halftime and they may have won.
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,368 Messages
    697 Likes Received

Romo's ranks 5th in career passer rating. Show me a post in this thread or anywhere on this board where someone called Romo a "bad" QB? This theme that Romo could win a SB on any team other than the Cowboys is ridiculous. A thread was started several weeks ago with fans wanting to trade Romo to KC for the #1 overall pick like KC would do that. :rolleyes: Several thought he would have more success in KC than in Dallas. One FAN who was in favor of the trade went so far as to claim Romo could lead the Chiefs who just went 2-14 to a championship. :cool: I asked him if he honestly believed that then why the heck would he want to trade him??? He never responded. By the way how do you figure SF would have won the SB had Harbaugh put Alex Smith in the game at halftime are you Bill Cowher?

The score was 21-6 Baltimore at halftime and Kaepernick led SF to 17 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter which got them back in the game. How could Alex Smith have made up that halftime deficit and won that game? Smith is a bus driver who only had one 300 yard game in 9 starts this past season. He's not near the playmaker Kaepernick is that's why he was riding the pine. It would have gone from bad to worse for SF with Smith in there. In his last 3 starts Smith never passed for more than 232 yards and had as many turnovers as TD's.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,830 Messages
    1,611 Likes Received
    Which begs the question; has Alex Smith EVER led a team that has to play from behnd to 17 points period in one quarter or even one half?
    I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt it.
  5. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,978 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    ..right now over Romo.

At least he's gotten his team to the playoffs, won their division more than once and has a better arm than Romo who can't throw past 30 yards.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin
  6. KJJ

10,368 Messages
    697 Likes Received

Don't recall him ever doing that and if he was capable of it he would have never lost his job.
  7. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,978 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    ..maybe Alex Smith plays better in the 1st half of games and builds leads his team doesn't have to surrender.

Unlike a certain someone we know that never plays well anymore in the 1st half of games.

:starspin RedBaLL EXPreSS:starspin
  8. KJJ

10,368 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    Alex Smith is a game manager he plays well when he has a lead not when he's 15 points down and has to wing it. In 2011 Smith didn't have a 300 yard passing game all season including the playoffs. That's pretty shocking in todays game where 300 yard passing games are routine. He had under 3200 yards passing and only 17 TD's those numbers would have been lackluster 30 years ago. Games weren't being put on Smith's shoulders. He wasn't being asked to win games he was being asked not to lose any. In the NFC title game in 2011 he only completed 12 passes and misfired on a lot of throws completing only 46%.

Even after going 13-3 Harbaugh knew he needed more of a playmaker at the position to take the next step. It's a passing league and you have to have a QB who can carry a team when the chips are down. In Smith's 9 starts this past season he only attempted 30 or more passes in 4 of his starts. In his last 2 starts he never attempted more than 23 passes. Romo completed more passes than Smith attempted most weeks while he was starting.

You can't put the slow starts all on Romo Garrett has to take a lot of the blame for his conservative approach. He leans towards conservative and it's cost the Cowboys some games. Romo didn't agree with some of his calls which was evident by a few of their interactions where Romo was clearly trying to sway Garrett's play calling. It's obvious Garrett doesn't trust Romo or his offense. Most of the blame falls on Garrett which is why he won't be calling plays next season.
  9. lqmac1

lqmac1 Well-Known Member

1,091 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh1: