1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

QB ranking by tier including Romo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ufcrules1, Feb 4, 2013.

1. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Stafford higher than Romo?:laugh2:
  2. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,840 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Where is your list?
  3. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

634 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    My problem with the OP's list is how did Flaco go from tier 3, which is obviously where he was all regular season, to a low tier 1? The guy got hot at the right time nothing more. This was his best 3 game stretch in his career. I'll give the guy his due, however many of those long throws he made were blown coverages with a hail marry, either that or Boldin won a jump ball. For goodness sakes those jump balls had the receiver standing still, not running a route, so he just threw it up and prayed. He will be back to being the same old Flaco next season. I won't address where Romo was placed, you judge QB's by QB play not how the WR's or OL play.
  4. ufcrules1

6,840 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    I don't think you watched the games very close. Sure, there were blown coverages which made some of the throws easier but he came through with great throws time and time again in the playoffs/superbowl, and biggest of all, he had ZERO turnovers. You know how important that part is? Dude had 11 TD's and no INT's in the playoffs/superbowl which is the biggest possible stage and against THE toughest teams in the NFL. He deserves to be mentioned right along with Eli and Big Ben.
  5. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

634 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Maybe it's what we are calling it, I think the top of tier 1 are the only ones deserving of tier 1. I do put Flaco along side Big Ben and Eli, but I also don't put either of them in tier 1 either. My tier 1 is Peyton, Rodgers, Brees and Brady. I think those 4 are far separated from the rest of the league and deserve to be in a league of their own. I watched several games this year and that is the reason I said what I did about Flaco. He had a career 3 game stretch, but as of yet has no consistency. I do not, can not, and will not judge a QB on rings alone, hence Peyton, Brees and Rodgers are where they are and Eli is not. If this were the case we would judge QB's on college wins also and we know how much sense that would make.
  6. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Why can't we all just agree to disagree? Accept the fact Romo is here for the next three years and instead of having discussions amongst ourselves about whether or not he is tier 1 or tier 2, and getting into arguments amongst our fans that we have with other fans when they want to talk football. Instead lets encompass the whole picture and say "hey, what do the Cowboys need to do that doesn't include a discussion on the tier Romo is in, but instead details possible moves the boys can make that will result in the boys winning, while he is here". If your only argument is "he will be a choke and will always be a joke" that is fine, I'll hit you up on the crystal ball when I need my lotto numbers. It's so tiring and this board could be used a lot better.

If we want 100, and we are sitting at 70, and the variable you are dropping and replacing lowers that number to 60, then the direction you are pointing in is wrong. Throw the variable back in and change another one. And there are plenty variables to chose from. AS to which one? That should be the most common discussion here.

happy fans you are wrong. "Realist" you are wrong.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,423 Messages
    6,478 Likes Received
    You'll never agree on something like this. Take ten highly intelligent and fair NFL fans and ask them to do this. I'd be surprised if any two matched.

Who was the greatest QB to ever play the game? There is no real right answer.

All I know is Romo is a franchise caliber QB whose been let down by his GM. There isn't a doubt in my mind he can win a title with a good supporting cast.

He's always going to get the brunt of the criticism in terms of the players as long as we keep losing but it won't come from me. I thought he had to clean up some things early in his career and I wasn't afraid to criticize him for it. I think over the last 3 or 4 years he's elevated himself to the upper echelon of QBs in the league. The problem is he's always been surrounded by a 6 win team that has had to live under the circus that is Jerry Jones.

I don't believe Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees or whoever your QB of choice is could have won anything with the hand Romo's been dealt here.

I didn't have QB envy when I watched the Ravens win on Sunday. I had Owner and GM envy.
  8. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,985 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    I wonder what our fans would be like if we were in a QB situation like Arizona are in?

That is not saying I am happy with a mediocre team, it is just a random though.

On topic though I think Romo is atop tier 2. Above all these overrated guys like Ryan, Stafford, Luck, RGIII, Newton, and Wilson. Some just because they are too young to put so high.
  9. ufcrules1

6,840 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    The thing is, the thread isn't about what tier Romo is in or why, it is a thread about where "ALL" Qb's rank and is nothing more than an opinion. A few posters came to the thread ranting and raving about why some people think X QB is rated higher than Romo etc. They just went on tangents about it.
  10. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,514 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Flacco has gone from a bus driver to one of the better QB's in the league. He doesn't put up eye popping numbers but during the postseason he shows up and gets it done. He was outstanding during the playoffs and SB putting up 11 TD's and no turnovers with a passer rating of 117.2.

He's starting to remind me of Eli he doesn't excite you during the regular season but when it matters most in the postseason he takes his game to another level. I have a lot of respect for players who play their best games when it matters most. I really didn't think much of Flacco but he's earned my respect.
  11. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,198 Messages
    583 Likes Received
    How about a little of coach envy too?? :D I do like Romo, he just needs a better team around him and that includes coaching IMO, he´s coaches have been Wade and Jason (except for half a season with HOF Parcells), just compare that to the last 10 SB winners or so, saying that I really hope JG becomes one of the better ones.
  12. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,514 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Sitting home for the playoffs for a 3rd straight year and 5 turnovers in 2 consecutive season finale losses with a playoff birth on the line has caused Romo to lose ground amongst the top QB's. With RG3, Kaepernick, Luck and Russell Wilson bursting onto the scene in 2012 it won't be long before Romo will be out of the top 10.

With a losing record the past 3 years and no playoff appearances he's falling back. QB's earn their strips in elimination games/postseason. It's those games that are starting to bring Flacco into the conversation when talking about elite QB's.
  13. da_whiz_kid

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Call it what you want that doesn't excuse what I stated. I'd point to your agenda but that again is a waste of time. The tier system is stupid.

I usually keep my posts to the draft zone, here and there I pop out and say something. I've read this forum everyday since I've registered. As an outsider(someone who reads here more than posts) the intent behind a lot of these QB comparison threads are to either A) belittle the cowboys Qb or B) praise him as the almighty savior. This is no different.

I'm not any trying to make you out as a villain in anyway, just letting folks no what the "outsider" sees.
  14. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Seriously what is with the obsession to rank and categorize QBs. It's more than anything else in any other sport
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,423 Messages
    6,478 Likes Received
    I don't just evaluate an elimination game. I evaluate everything that led up to that game too.

When I see a QB win that elimination game throwing for 100 yards with a 50% completion percentage, I know we didn't lose a QB duel. There are other factors at play that led to that win.
  16. ufcrules1

6,840 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Yes, pointing to my "agenda" would be a waste of time since I don't have an agenda. I have been a huge Cowboy fan all my life that lives here in Dallas and has season tickets. So I certainly wouldn't want to belittle the Cowboys. It's actually quite the opposite, I want to see MAJOR changes here so our team can succeed.

The tier system is stupid? What is your system exactly for rating the QB's?Dilfer did a tier system a while back and I thought it was a great way to rank QB's.(See below) I think most people prefer the tier system because that way you don't get into a big argument over why X QB is listed one spot above/below X QB.

http://slumz. .com/f16/ranking-nfl-quarterback-trent-dilfer-written-article-1696620/

Well, my intent was neither of those. It was the end of the season, Flacco had an amazing season and there were a whole new batch of SOLID rookie QB's, so I decided to make a thread about where I ranked them all and naturally had to include Romo. It was just my opinion and others were encouraged to make their own list and post it instead of insulting my list.
  17. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,662 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    You might be right. I rouxed the day Danny White left and then he was replaced by Troy Aikman. Yes, I know, finding another Aikman will be difficult.
  18. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,662 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    anybody who thinks Romo is better than Kaepernick, well, I half oceanside property in Farmers Branch for sale.
  19. da_whiz_kid

863 Messages
    110 Likes Received

Harp harp harp harp. Falling on dead ears as I see what I said did too. You are fooling nobody.
  20. ufcrules1

6,840 Messages
    1,171 Likes Received
    Falling on "dead' ears. Yeah, my ears are dead. Da whiz kid strikes again...zing.