1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

QB ranking by tier including Romo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ufcrules1, Feb 4, 2013.

1. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,742 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    It's the OP, bro! That's what he does for giggles.

:laugh2:
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,827 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    I think the New Orleans game showed what he can do with a little time. The Saints had a tough time getting pressure on him that day, whereas the Skins had a hard time NOT getting pressure on Romo in Washington.

The Cowboys were actually lucky that the Skins only scored once in that game on the drives following a turnover. I thought Romo looked great in that game in the 4th quarter when he was suppossedly choking the whole time. Some here need to relook at the film. he was very calm and effective in the 4th quarter ....until that fateful blitz/pick.
    But something did seem off very early in that game.

I do think Haslett severely outfoxed Garrett in that game, btw.
  3. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,716 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    This isn't a bash Romo thread. This was a QB ranking thread and a few people got upset that Tony wasn't higher I guess? Everyone is welcome to post their own lists though.
  4. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,367 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    In your opinion how many of Romo's 3 int's vs Washington were a result of him being pressured? Where are these posts from fans claiming he was choking "throughout" the entire 4th quarter? Including the pick in the final 3 1/2 minutes what grade do you give Romo's 4th quarter performance?
  5. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,140 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    He didn´t have many yards but he had 2 td´s and 107 rating in that game. Although he didn´t have to do too much because of Murray, he did play a good game. RGIII vs us in week 17 not so much IMO, although he did have a couple of good runs on critical downs.
  6. DFWJC

21,827 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    Like I said, he did not look right early in that game. I don't recall any major pressure on those 1st two picks. Neither led to points though.

I was referring to the 4th qtr. I don't know what grade I'd give. He led them to a FG, a TD and a 2 pt conversion in the 4th qtr comeback. I think he had like 8-9 straight completions. And he was getting pounded pretty good. We both know he was playing hurt at that point. Then Dez goes down. He hits Witten for a 1st down and was still looking cool. Then the blitz was not picked up and the outlet throw was poor and gets picked.
    It did not look like a choke job to me. But no denying that he was not on his game early in that game. he was fine late inthe game...the pick was just a football play. It happened to Dallas and Romo, so it turns into a choke job by some. It sucks for fans like me who, although I don't think he is elite, think he is plenty good. It was more ammo for the haters. That pick will equal at least a dozen picks during critical moments to them. They'll use terms like "always" when that is not true at all. They'll also forget that leading up to that game Romoo may have benn the hottest QB in the league over a 5-6 game stretch in late Nov/Dec....or crunch time.

Oh well, we have digressed from this thread topic.
    No doubt, Romo gives the haters ammo from time to time.
  7. KJJ

10,367 Messages
    697 Likes Received

Romo is plenty good he proves that in a number of games throughout the regular season every year but he has issues performing at the same level in elimination games this is not an opinion it's a fact. You call the pick in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter just a football play but that's not how most saw it. If some like you choose to always make excuses for why he never plays to his capabilities in these make or break games then that's your choice.

No one is pinning that loss entirely on Romo I'm certainly not but he didn't play well in that game and that's the truth whether some like you want to admit it or not. I'm still in support of him leading the Cowboys because he at least gives the team a chance I just tell it like it is about him and refuse to make excuses for why he never plays at a high level in adverse situations with so much at stake. The QB's who've won championships the past 2 seasons stepped their level of play up from what it was during the regular season when it was down to do or die. In the face of all kinds of pressure they had to make plays to reach the SB and to win it.

When the game was on their shoulders they responded with clutch throws. Go back and look at some of the throws Flacco made vs NE in the AFC title game the guy was clutch. Romo has made clutch throws during the regular season when facing adversity but he can never do it when it's make or break that's always been the issue with him. It's what makes people scratch their head about him. This isn't hating on him or bashing him it's just being honest. In any discussion on Romo there's going to be positives and negatives that have to be addressed. I've defended him many times because there's a lot more positives with him than negatives.

He has the talent to get it done the guy has elite skills there's plenty of highlight tape that proves it it's the demons in his head that are holding him back. It's not physical with Romo it's all mental I've been saying it for years. It's the monkey on his back and the reputation he has for folding that's affecting his ability to deal with pressure in these do or die situations.
  8. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,742 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    Yeah...Romo needs to go see a doctor because of his mental illness.

He's already went for broken ribs, punctured lungs, a hand swollen the size of a apple. Running around because he has to because no one is there to help the team.

That is the sign of a loser QB.

Why does he run around like that?

Because, Romo wants to win. So do us Cowboy fans...

:star:
  9. KJJ

10,367 Messages
    697 Likes Received

Some may call Romo a loser QB but I've never called him one or I would be amongst those who want him gone. No QB that's a "loser" is going to remain a starting QB for 7 straight years. The "losers" were the QB's that Cowboys had after Aikman and before Romo. I spent 3 days and over 5 pages pointing out all Romo's positives to those who have given up on him. Some are so down on him they're willing to go with Orton and tank until the Cowboys find a better alternative. Not once did you or the other FAN who always cries foul everytime I speak openly and honestly about Romo show up in that discussion to back my position because it didn't fit with either of your agendas.

You say Romo runs like he's having to run for his life every play but several of the QB's who made the playoffs ran a lot this past season because they had to use their legs to make some plays. You don"t think Wilson, Kaepernick, RG3 and even Andrew Luck did some running? Did they always have a clean pocket? If a QB has to have a clean pocket all day and everyone around them has to play perfect for them to perform at a high level they'll never win a championship. If Joe Montana couldn't handle adversity and perform in the face of pressure he would have never found Dwight Clark in the back of the endzone in the 81 title game and wouldn't have a 4-0 SB record.

Romo is the most heavily scrutinized QB in the league because of his reputation for folding in elimination games which has put a big monkey on his back. He's been hearing the criticism ever since the bobbled snap in Seattle 7 years ago and its affected his play when it gets down to make or break. He starts to press which results in poor decisions.

Once he makes a mistake it starts to snowball this is why he has multiple turnovers in 4 of his 6 elimination game losses. Favre had some of the same issues as Romo especially later in his career. It got to the point where you expected Favre to make the big mistake at the worst possible time because he kept doing it. The only championship Favre won he didn't turn the ball over and was aided by Bledsoe's 4 int's. Against Denver the following year in the SB Favre had 2 turnovers which contributed to GB's loss. In Favre's back to back NFC title game losses to the Cowboys in 94 and 95 he had a combined 3 turnovers.

When Favre turned the ball over in championship games he didn't win. No one is saying that everyone of Romo's 11 turnovers in his 6 elimination game losses were all on him but some FANS go out of their way to make excuses for every one of them. I'm not one of those who's given up on Romo because physically I know he's capable of getting it done it's whether he can overcome his demons.
  10. ak47kaehu

ak47kaehu Active Member

289 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    thats about right!
  11. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,610 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    i could be wrong, but i think romo is better than stafford and what rg3 will become.
  12. Shiloht88

Shiloht88 Benched

64 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Then you don't know much about football or the position of qb.
  13. Shiloht88

Shiloht88 Benched

64 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The the three rookies can't be put ahead of Romo yet and neither can Kaperinick. They could push ahead of him soon if they all duplicate this season and improve. I don't think much if Stafford ever so I'd have Romo ahead of him too.
  14. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,578 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    LOL, will you knock it off with the "elimination" game crap, there's no such thing. If you're going to believe in mythical, simple-minded concepts like "big games", "clutch", and "choke", them at least use the 4 playoff games that Romo has played in. You sound like an extra from First Take.
  15. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    So just throw those games out?
  16. Super_Kazuya

1,578 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    If you can provide a reference of any other quarterback in the history of the NFL's "elimination" record being cited, keep it in. Otherwise, throw it out.
  17. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    So being able to succeed under pressure and when the stakes are high are factors that should be disregarded and/or not counted?
  18. DFWJC

21,827 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    I said Romo didn't play well for most of that game, so no need to put words in my mouth.

This "elimination game" thing (espcially non-playoff) seems to have been created for Romo. The sample size is so tiny for him, it blows me aways that people give it cred.

Washington is the main game that I can recall where he and the team had their chances but did not play well and blew it.
    Last year vs the Giants, things got out of hand early but Romo (football hand and all) actually played a decent game.The game was out of reach at the end when he got crushed and fumbled, but his QB rating was about 100 and he threw or a couple fo scores.
    He played great in both end of season big games (and wins) vs Philly in 2009.
    I think the the total blow out at Philly and the one at Minnesota where games that we had no chance in.
    The Ginats loss in 2007 hurt, but the Giants D was great. And Romo did, imo, throw a perfect pass to Crayton for the win. If you want to say it's making an excuse, go ahead. But he cannot run that route for him.
    What's odd to me is that wins at Cincy and vs Pittsburgh this year get no credit even though the Washington game means nothing without those wins. It's like there's this non-playoff game category created especially for Romo.

Back to the Washington game:
    If you think on that last drive, like some doofusses do around here, that Romo is actually thinking on that last drive "oh no, it's a big game, so i better not screw up" there is no chance you ever played in a big game yourself. I'm assuming that you know better. Leading up to a big game, maybe players get more excited or nervous or whatever, but once the full force of the game is upon them, it is just like the New Orleans game or the Pittsburgh game. They have split seconds to react, they have no time to be worrying about how big the game is at that exact moment. That's why I said, if he looked so calm and effective the whole 4th quarter, and the play right before that one, why would someone think all of a sudden he tightened up on that one play?
    He (and the Oline) just screwed up on that play.
    And again, yes, he played an overall bad game the first 3 quarters.
  19. Super_Kazuya

1,578 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    Unless its the playoffs no. With three weeks left in the season, the Giants controlled their NFC East destiny. Result: 34-0 loss. Even after that loss, Giants still controlled their destiny for the Wild Card. Result: 33-14 loss. Now is anyone running around quoting Eli Manning's "elimination" game record? Heck, I've never seen anyone give him credit for the "elimination" WIN he got last year. No one has said Eli is 9-3 in elimination games. He's 8-3 in the playoffs. Those are the games that matter, not regular season games that all have 1/16th value.

Again find me a reference of anyone's elimination record. Not just active. NFL history. Surely you can find one. No, you can't... because its a media made nonsense stat created to antagonize Romo, who should be getting credit that at least his team is in position to PLAY these games despite having a crappy team. Instead of playing in a meaningless Week 17 laugher like Eli.
  20. TheSport78

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Don't compare Romo to Eli. That's all. Your argument is weak.