1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

QB Ryan Mallett confirmed to NFL teams during the Combine that he at least experiment

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 18, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Ryan Mallett - QB - Player According to Pro Football Weekly, Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett confirmed to NFL teams during the Combine that he at least experimented with drugs during his college years.
    There have been rumors that Mallett was addicted. In Combine interviews, he reportedly came clean about recreational use, at a minimum. Per PFW's Nolan Nawrocki, "One GM said Mallett was the first quarterback ever to admit his drug usage to him in interviews." Mallett never had a positive drug test at Arkansas, but sources tell Nawrocki that he has a reputation as a "big party guy." Said one league executive, "I would not take him at any point (in the draft)."
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/11/character-assessments-shape-nfl-success
  2. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    It's a shame because this kid has by the far the best arm of any QB in this draft in my opinion. If he's still there in the 3rd and I'm a team that needs a QB I scoop him up in a heart beat. It's a lot easier to teach a kid how to put his head on straight than it is to teach 6'6 with a rifle for an arm. I'm pretty confident he'll be a good nfl QB 1 day.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,809 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    I think the Dolphins will be all over him, regardless. Sparano and Ireland are in a very tight corner and need to pick someone who will make an immediate impact or their out of a job at years end. Mallett is the only QB in the draft that can hit the ground running. I think their desire to save their jobs will overrule any character concerns.

And if Mallett plays poorly, they have a built in excuse on why not to get fired--cause they started a rookie QB.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,708 Messages
    1,921 Likes Received
    lol like 90% of College QB's aren't big party guys. Good grief.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I have to wonder what kinds of questions Ireland asked him. ;)

Really, though, the Fins would be weird with Sparano and Ireland being such Parcells disciples and how much he always preached about drug use and lack of dependability.
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    I always get a chuckle out of these stories. Drugs are part of the college experience. This is why online universities are never going to take over. No partying.
  7. BigDave95

BigDave95 Member

627 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he did crack with Dez's mom??
  8. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Incredible arm but he can be rattled with pressure. I saw it happen several times in his 2 years at Arkansas.

Reminds me of Ryan Leaf a bit.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,305 Messages
    2,726 Likes Received
    Sounds like cocaine use.
  10. TrueBeliever007

TrueBeliever007 Member

224 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, honesty is the best policy:eek::