1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Question about glaciers/global warming

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rackat, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Glaciers are millions of years old. Agreed?

At one time glaciers were ... liquid. So, at one point in history, our planet had much more water in liquid form than it currently does. That being the case, what caused the temperature to change and cool off the planet enough to make the glaciers? Further, what caused the last ice age to end (some scientists believe that there have been more than one) and warm up the planet enough that the land bridge in the Berring Straights is now under water?

Why, off the coast of California, is the continental shelf lined with what appear to be river beds?

Why, on mountain tops, are their sea fossils?

If the glaciers of the past held enough of the water on our planet that the continental shelf was exposed, and the mountains where no oceanic life should be found hold fish fossils, and man didn't cause these extremes, why should we be so arrogant as to believe we hold that much sway over our environment?
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,040 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    contenintal drift -maybe we did float around for awhile on water till it settled down.

interesting data - any links? not to disprove you but you got me curious about riverbeds in the ocean floor and sea fossils on mountain tops. just wondering about time periods and so forth.
  3. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is a crude model, but it works:

http://observe.arc.nasa.gov/nasa/earth/tectonics/Tectonics4.html
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Good thing we have not been around the whole time ...... man would have been blamed for separating the continents.

"The drilling of oil has caused the continents to begin shifting" .... :D
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,879 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    There are lots of questions to ask about glacial melt but we do know it is melting.

How much we contribute to me is not all that important.

Besides the extreme nuts on both the left and right sides most in the middle realize it isn't a death sentence and at the same time its not like we are being asked to sacrifice our life to live a little more green and eco-friendly.

If you wanna sift through the BS then simply disregard all the stuff paid for by Oil companies and environmental "non-profits".

Look for independent research paid for by universities or at facts that have been gathered for 100's of years from actual weather stations.

----------------

As to your questions they are honestly meaningless. Not trying to be offensive but we know the earth existed long before man. It has long been posited that a major climate change occurred when a comet struck the Earth and thus killed off say the dinosaurs if not some version of man-kind.

What life exists in different climates doesn't do much good for mankind if climate is altered to affect our survival of course.

I have never been a cause-head type and ultimately believe using some common sense resolves most issues. Some chemicals are bad. They are bad for us, bad for animals, bad for anything they touch. So let's not use them. We have a finite supply of oil. Let's find other fuel sources.

Doesn't mean we have to be Al Gore but ti also doesn't mean we have run around spouting consiracy theories like the far right jabber jowls are so apt to do.
  6. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here is one link: http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/continents/ I'll try to find some more.
  7. iceberg

28,040 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    sounds like what i've been saying all along.

be smart, learn more, keep doing research and try to improve on what we have today for a better tomorrow.

but we should lose florida by what, 2020, at this rate?
  8. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's ok if you're trying to be offensive. Ignorance often disguises itself through aggression, whether physical or verbal. The posit of climactic change via an asteroid/comet impacting the earth only accounts for one global change. There have been several. How would you explain them? Just curious.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,250 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    It is not all that unreasonable to believe that river beds exist on the sea floor. If you consider how plate techtonics work, then it's reasonable to assume that over time, some of these river beds have slide into the sea simply because the earths crust is constintly on the move. As old curst slips under the continental ridges, new crust is produced from other ridges all along the ocean floor. The question of how much drift might be a point of consideration depending on the dates of the river beds in question. As I recall, the earths crust moves and renews at about 3 inches a year. Now, it would take considerable time for this process to cover river beds bennith the sea but then again, if the river beds are submerged, natural erosion should also make them almost impossible to discern so if the river beds do indeed exist, then it would seem reasonable to assume that they exist in a natural state that holds true over time, as they have not naturally eroded away. This makes the continental drift theory as plossible as any, I would guess.
  10. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  11. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That article posits that man INHABITED the continental shelf when it was above sea level. Al Gore will find a way to prove that man caused the last global warming by burning all the trees that used to be on the continental shelf.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,879 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Why does there have to have only been one comet or asteroid change our climate? Could it not have occurred multiple times in the history of the Earth?

As to some basic common sense topics: Is it warmer in the major cities or out in the sparsely populated regions that surround them.

Is it warmer under the polluted LA skies or just a few miles outside of it?

Are you warmer laying right next to your significant other or rolled away from them?

If it is reallllllly cold should two people head off in opposite directions or stay together sharing body heat.

If a body puts off heat then wouldn't multiple bodies put off more heat.

If we put the entire population of the world in a slushy somewhat frozen lake would the water heat up at all?

Chemical compositions are fragile. Whether it is the air we breathe to survive or explosive combinations small alterations make big differences. We all know this and we know we are altering the atmosphere. Does it make more sense to act self-righteous and indignant of climate change at all or to try and simply be more eco-friendly?
  13. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You only posited the one asteroid collision in your initial post. Now you have added "multiple" collisions that could explain climactic change. In that case, would it not make more sense for us to spend our resources on finding ways to detect, then deflect, asteroids and comets from impacting our planet since they have been proven to cause catastrophic consequences scientifically? After all, if we are to avoid global warming from the impact and subsequent global cooling from the aftermath of the impact, shouldn't we spend time looking for asteroids and comets to deflect?

There is at least scientific PROOF of these causing climate change. Not some damn consensus.

I do agree that we SHOULD be eco-friendly. I just don't agree that we are the be all end all of global warming causes.
  14. iceberg

28,040 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    and i think a vast majority of us feel the same way. i've yet to see anyone say we shouldn't learn to live better within our environment.

yet that gets turned to say we disagree it's getting warmer at all. then if you argue that it's because we don't feel there's enough evidence to say "MAN" did it, or is doing it.

we simply don't know if what we're doing is causing it and even if so, to what degree. in science you have your control and your variable. where's our control in this one?
  15. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,051 Messages
    665 Likes Received

That's not true of many sciences. Astronomy for example is entirely observational. Climate science is necessarily to same manner. Experimental control is obviously the strongest (and most would say the only) way to clearly establish causality however, in many fields of science that is simply impossible.
  16. iceberg

28,040 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    no, you're right and i was partially tongue in cheek cause there simply *can't* be a control in this one. my real point is that leads to specualation based on what we do know and can "assume" - which can change at any given time - like NASA finding a bug that changed quite a bit of important info we were basing it on.

so i do agree that it's simply not possible - i'm just saying w/o it we can't know "for sure" like some people are saying we do. or "close enough for me" actually and hey - what else can they do if they think it's real, right? to them it is.